Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Falconred

Falconred

Fastback Freddy, He was my hero in the NASCAR world back in the day. I built a model of his '63 1/2 Galaxy and gave it to him in Atlanta, I also met Herb Nab his mechanic then. Many years later when I was doing photography for some of the racing papers I had my picture taken with him at Atlanta when they brought him back to honor him. I remember when he would be racing at Atlanta the the would have him at Yellow River or some other local drag strip in one of Bonner's cars match racing Jr. Johnson or some one else.

Dang that was a long time ago, time flys when you are having fun.

Lorenzen's car in victory lane by a 15 year old with a $2.00 camera.
    [​IMG]

2. spiertb

spiertb

64 Cyclone; Who's the driver of the Phil Bonner team car--the white one in post 1924? Syl

3. Falconred

Falconred

See my post above yours, that's Fred Lorenzen, Ford's "Golden Boy" in the sixties in NASCAR. He was the first driver to win over $100,000 in a year. He drove for Holman-Moody in the # 28 car. Bonner always had a car that was just for "run what ya brung" or match racing that wasn't always stock and he would provide it to some like Lorenzen at the request (meaning $$$) of a drag strip and/or Ford when NASCAR was in town for a show. Lorenzen was not the 4-speed man that Bonner was.

4. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

That's Phil Bonner's other car that was driven by Gene Wilson. Later on it was named "Prodigal".

[​IMG]

5. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Here is the car again, but in a different color. Most likely the color order chonologically is white, burgundy, and then silver.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  6. Falconred

Falconred

I agree that is the Wilson car but isn't that Lorenzen in the photo? My old eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

7. gms2slo

gms2slo

Great thread! Were you at Beaver Springs this past weekend for the Super Stock race? What a great time and turn out!

Does anyone have pictures of Tasca Ford's 1962 (Challenger) or 1963 (Challenger II) big block Fairlanes? I have tried to research information on them, but haven't found much. I am really looking for pictures. I would love to make a clone, considering that non-'64 Fairlanes seem to be cheaper to buy. Are the originals still floating around or were they lost? Don't want to highjack thread, but these cars seem to be the catalyst for the Thunderbolt program.

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

It could be. Those pics came off of Youtube from a video that features a bunch of pics from Ga & NC that included several NASCAR drivers driving drag cars.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  9. It is Fred Lorenzen in the photo with Bonner's white T-bolt. This car became the Prodigal and was driven by Gene Wilson as Dennis stated. Phil provided his cars to several NASCAR drivers for match races, going all the way back to '62. Fireball Roberts also was a frequent driver for the Phil Bonner Ford Team.

10. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

There are a couple of magazine articles on the red 62 Fairlane and peacock blue 63 Fairlane. The only two major races the 63 car ran was the 1963 Indy Summer Nationals and the S/S FX meet at Detroit Dragway. The transmission broke and the car was sidelined at Indy.

Incidently, both cars were built by Dearborn Steel Tubing Co. and given to Tasca by Ford. I have no idea what happened to the 62 car, but the 63 car came back to Dearborn after the 64 T-Bolt was delivered. Eventually it was used as an automatic transmission test development car at T&C Livonia and according to both internal records and witnesses scrapped.

Regards,
    Dennis

11. Falconred

Falconred

Here's what I've got. Apologies to the photographers because I don't have a record of whose these are.

The '62:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The '63
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Bridenthal

Bridenthal
    from Florida

That is "Greensburg, Ohio" John

13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

What kind of Hood Scoop is that ?? Not the Cloverleaf or the familiar Tear Drop

14. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Looks like it sort of had a "cowl" hood. Yeah I know that is an improper term but it best relates to the style nowadays I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Some Thunderbolts pics I took from HHRR.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Just a couple at York 30

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This guy looks like a TROUBLEMAKER York 30 Beaver Springs 2010

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Looks like a goof ball to me....lol:D

19. spartan986

spartan986
    from Dothan AL

I live in Dothan Al and is the guy you know named Gerald?

20. Falconred

Falconred

Tht could have been Bill Dismuke, he has a Thunderbolt and goes to the Old Drag Racers Reunion in PC.

PM me with your number, I go to Dothan a couple of times a year and will be at the ODDR in PC if possible.

21. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Sad to hear,sounds like Dick Brannan is hanging it up.I'm glad I got to see him at Bowling Green.

July 19, 2010

Dear Friends:

Since 1985 after the late Skip Norman invited me, Don Nicholson, Arnie Beswick, Ronnie Sox and others to a 60s nostalgia gathering in Florida, I have been active every year by appearing at various shows and other events primarily involving my racing past when I was with Ford. As with most of us drivers and crew, ninety percent of the time and expense was donated personally during the 25 years I have been involved. Meeting new and old friends and signing autographs was something I enjoyed each and every visit and wish I could continue on and on. However, since time waits for no one, I decided before the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion show in Bowling Green, Kentucky in June, that it would be my last. For that event, I volunteered as a consultant to help Eileen Daniels put together the Memory Lane recognition for the Ford Drag Team cars, drivers, crew and original sponsors. The team was active and spanned from 1962 to 1972 of which I was an original member helping to form the team while working for Ford in the Special Vehicles Department.

The event and awards went extremely well and I want to thank everyone that helped Eileen and I put it all together and also thank those that volunteered by attending and bringing such a great collection of original Drag Team cars and Memorabilia.

I will continue with this e-mail address for a short time longer after which it will be retired from the system. Anyway, I want to say farewell to all and I wish the very best to you and your family. I have been blessed to have been so involved for so long and cannot thank so many of you enough.

Dick Brannan

Mr Brannan with my Dad and his Galaxie

[​IMG]

Mr Brannan signing my buddies tribute T-Bolt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. fordflashback

fordflashback

Maybe he wants to spend some time in the garage getting that old Mustang going.:D

23. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

More Thunder please

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 550ss

550ss

25. 65COMET

65COMET

550ss;that looks great!!You don't see many "tribute" 63s,I think they are too KOOL. ROY.

26. 550ss

550ss

Thanks Roy, gotta love the fins!!! -Brad

27. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

28. 65deluxe

65deluxe

29. spiertb

spiertb

I've got an original aluminum bumper on my T-Bolt clone. If I polish it with aluminum polish it looks nice for a few days but then gets dull again--what can I do to keep it shiny(other than polishing it constantly)? Thanks. Syl

30. Kentuckian

Kentuckian