Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Dr. John

Dr. John

All photos taken at Lancaster (NY) Speedway (near Buffalo) by Gordon Reinig.

[​IMG]
    1973: Jerry Cook was behind the wheel of the Dick Hammond/Gohr Distributors-sponsored NASCAR Grand National and was allowed to turn some laps with it during intermisssion -- they were getting ready to enter it at Richmond or somewhere...

[​IMG]
    Jim McGraw spins, Sege Fidanza gets by, 1972.

[​IMG]
    Sonny Barron, 1968

[​IMG]
    Paul Putt, 1968

[​IMG]
    Jim Wetzler, 1968

[​IMG]
    Jim Wetzler, 1967

[​IMG]
    Maynard Troyer, 1967

www.LancasterHeroes.com

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Dr. John

Dr. John

All photos taken by track photographer/Buffalo fireman GORDON REINIG at Lancaster (NY) Speedway near Buffalo.

Dean Gonzales, 1972
    [​IMG]

Dave Hafner, 1970
    [​IMG]

Dave Schupp spins as Fred Butz gets past, 1972
    [​IMG]

www.LancasterHeroes.com

3. Dr. John

Dr. John

All photos taken by track photographer/Buffalo fireman GORDON REINIG at Lancaster (NY) Speedway near Buffalo. www.LancasterHeroes.com

Bob Krull, 1970
    [​IMG]

Early 1972: Gene Wallace spins as Jim Laughing (30) and Vic Moore miss him.
    [​IMG]

Frank Battista (33) races Sege Fidanza, 1972
    [​IMG]

Maynard Troyer, 1967 -- he took this car to Langhorne at the end of the year, qualified and did pretty well against the Modifieds until he developed a mechanical problem. This was a Southern-built car.
    [​IMG]

Jim Richley, 1972
    [​IMG]

Vic Moore (07) races Dan Skurski, 1972
    [​IMG]

Jim Kneeple, 1972
    [​IMG]

Johnny Adams, 1972
    [​IMG]

Fred Butz (82) leads Sege Fidanza, 1972
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  4. Dr. John

Dr. John

All photos taken by track photographer/Buffalo fireman GORDON REINIG at Lancaster (NY) Speedway near Buffalo. www.LancasterHeroes.com

Ken Cassel, 1969
    [​IMG]

Ken Cassel, 1973 -- this car was a Holland Speedway Late Model and it was allowed to race with the Modifieds at Lancaster because it fit the rules.
    [​IMG]

Dan Swain (of Swaintech fame), 1969
    [​IMG]

1970: Jim Wetzler on the fence as Gil Bieber gets past.
    [​IMG]

Jim McGraw, 1968
    [​IMG]

Gene Fuller, 1969
    [​IMG]

Dave Hafner, 1969
    [​IMG]

Bob Herrick, 1970
    [​IMG]

5. Dr. John

Dr. John

Bill Bitterman, 1971 -- first feature win
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  6. Dr. John

Dr. John

LOVE the Canadian cars!

7. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Cool photos very old school...

8. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Well, I was looking through my photo's again - admiring all the fine paint jobs and fancy graphics, when I came across this one. Don Renner's car is really "Graphically Challenged", but even race cars with ugly paint jobs need love too. So, Don's car gets the honor of being a Pic of the Day.

Photo taken at Kil-Kare in 1968 or 1969. Don came to run, even if his budget wasn't nearly what the competition's was. That's what made racing great back then. Enjoy.

Vegas_Oldtimer[​IMG]

9. lawman

lawman

WOW !!!!! I have followed Stock car racing for over 50 years and THAT
    is the first 57 more door hardtop stock car I have ever scene !!!!!!
    "RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG" Sooooo cool . Tom ( Tired Old Man)

10. Racewriter

Racewriter

John Banks, #53, Daytona 1976. If I remember right, he flipped that car big time that year.

11. stasis096

stasis096
    from Michigan

Here's a very bad quality version of John Banks flipping at Daytona in 76. It was taken from a newspaper article.

[​IMG]

12. stasis096

stasis096
    from Michigan

I'm a little confused. According to racing reference John Banks was driving the #55 car when he violently flipped out of the 76 qualifier (which matches the newspaper article picture).

What year did Banks drive the #53 at Daytona?

13. Racewriter

Racewriter

I think he ran the 53 in the ARCA race. Might very well have been the same car with a quick renumber job. That was common in those days; you'd see several of the ARCA guys hang around after their race and go either to the Winston Cup garage to try to qualify for the 500, or to the Sportsman garage to qualify for the Permatex 300.

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Love all those photos from Lancaster. Thanx!!!

15. redfox1997

redfox1997
    from Virginia

If anyone has or knows where I can find any photos 1955-1959 of a #94 car driven by Clarence Dezalia or a car drive by ed cole would you let me know this is my great grand father.

16. jrose7004

jrose7004

Long time listener, first time caller, this is the best thread I've ever followed on a forum. I too have been involved in local racing as either a competitor, flagman and announcer since the 70's. My only problem was that I never took pictures so these are bring back lots of good memories for me! Keep it up guys!

17. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

OK, here's another interesting one. For whatever reason this driver numbered his car B O 2 (or BO² - B.O. squared ??!?). That, in itself, makes it a candidate for the Pic of the Day ! Does anyone know who the driver is ? Photo shot at Kil-Kare in 1966. The car is from the Columbus O area.

Enjoy....
    Vegas Oldtimer

[​IMG]

18. k9racer

k9racer

I Boron 2 Oxygens??? I cant find my element table. More than likely a inside story on the no. I know one guy who used his fan belt no, another his address . the car bo2 car must have made some power to push that heavy rear end and heavy front hub. I noticed 2 carbs. Keep then coming.. Bobby

19. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Thank you,Dr.John for sharing your late model pics.
    George Fisher,Sr. used to have a Mobil station near me,when I was a kid.I sat with the Fishers at a racing banquet. George Jr. signed my autograph book, and got yelled at by Sr. for not signing his real name. It was the last time I ever saw Jr.

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Dr. John. I always thought the 1960 Ford made a neat looking race car.

21. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Here's what happens when you don't watch how everyone else goes into turn one. You bust a radiator, have to climb out through the driver's window, and you get a visit from a wonderful old early 50's Buick ambulance. Then I have to go clean up the track !! And, this was all done in WARM-UPS. Car / driver never did come back to make the show. I have no idea who it even was.

Kil-Kare - 1968.

The Oldtimer.....

[​IMG]

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Steve, I doubt if he knew who he was for a while there.

23. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

<TABLE class=tborder id=post5491741 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175></TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_5491741 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: Historic Stock Car Photos
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Don <NOBR>Croft</NOBR> at (I think) Shangri-La Speedway (Owego, NY), approx. 1968. Fred Smith photo.
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Don Croft's car,anyway.Not Shangri-La. Could be 5 Mile Point. Fred Smith took pics there,also.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  24. jrose7004

jrose7004

I guess Lancaster got repossessed! I hope they come back!

25. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

I must be on a "wreck" kick. This is an Eldora photo of Dick DeBolt's car after an altercation. Notice that the only thing keeping the wheel dragging along side the car is the safety chain welded to the frame and the back side of the hub.

Another "strange" Photo of the Day...

Vegas Oldtimer

[​IMG]

26. thrush544

thrush544

Has anybody out there bought the book? Is it as good as it looks like it would be?

27. Dr. John

Dr. John

Hi,

If you're talking about "Lancaster Heroes," so far 1,990 people have purchased them. I printed 2,000 and only have 10 left. I think Mark Southcott in Buffalo has four and Talking Leaves Books in Buffalo has six.

28. Dr. John

Dr. John

Richie Evans Daytona Sportsman Mercury for the 1973 Permatex Sportsman race. Photog unknown.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  29. JThur01

JThur01

Photo in post #2585 , yes, great photo. Taken at Vallejo Speedway during a PCLM race program. The hills and white fence are the ID clues. Vallejo Speedway was built in 1950, and it looked exactly the same, though with a lot more wear, during it's final season in 1979.

I'm new here, and with extensively knowledge of the West Coast scene, have a lot of IDs to photos...but at 177 pages, it will take quite a while to catch up here (not to mention the lengthy open wheel photos thread).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  30. JThur01

JThur01

Photo from post #2619 . Yes, definitely Oakland Stadium (1946-55), same as the photos of very stock cars running around the steep banking (edit: which I see were ID'd).

Lou Figaro, who is seen in the photo, started out in early track roadsters pre-WWII at Southern Speedway. He raced a bit of everything, like roadsters and big cars, but really came into his own in the jalopies and stocks. Jack Gaynor, the car dealer/sponsor of Figaro's car in the photo, was not only an early booster of stock car racing on the West Coast, but also did some driving himself.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010