Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods See the USA...in a Hemi-Powered Model A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Aug 4, 2010.

1. thanks for this thread. very cool.

2. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

"Later on, I tried to stop and get gas at the "Kum & Go" in Buffalo, WY. They only had 89 octane though, so I "came and went." I don't think the citizens of Buffalo had ever seen a hot rod in their town before. I felt like the whole town stopped and stared as I was driving through. I might as well have been driving a flying saucer."

It sounds like you had a 'California Kid' moment......

One Day as many of the rest of us are waiting for the time to just GO, it is GOOD to see someone actually do it.

Shawn

3. What a great endeavor.......kudos to you and safe trip.......

4. Man you been on the road so long you need a Shave !! Good luck man and more pics pleez >>>>.

5. nitrider65

nitrider65

Man sweet shots of the coupe with the sunset in the pic :cool:
    Have fun !

6. BCR

BCR

Why the hell would anyone want to drive an old car across the country???

Cause you need to get out of the shop to regain your sanity once in awhile, thats why.

Oh yea, you would think a big road trip would "get it out of your system" but two weeks after you get home you'll be jonesing for the open road.

Thanks for the post!

7. draggler

draggler

Thanks for keeping it real ! Watch out for road gators, and loose women !

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Well done. Looking forward to the next update.

9. freakboy

freakboy

Amazing trip i just have to subscribe!

10. kaui

kaui
    from SJC calif

That's just a great trip, and you get to do it again going home. Outstanding

11. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Day 3

I woke up this morning in Billings, MT. Looked over the car, checked the oil, and hit the road. Stopped to gas up in Laurel, MT and didn't stop again until Bozeman.

Saw a 10 point buck grazing on the side of the road about 10 yards from the shoulder. Cool to see some elk, but I'm glad he stayed put.

Drove into Bozeman and had a bison burger at some burger/soup place downtown. Bozeman is a really nice little town...one of my favorites so far on the trip. I'd like to go back and spend some more time there if I ever get the chance.

After having lunch in Bozeman, I got back on the road. I passed a big group of street rods heading east as I was coming down into Butte. I don't know where they were heading, but there were a bunch of them.

I'm continually amazed by how many people come up to me and talk about the car. At every place I stopped, someone came up to me to either ask about it or comment on it. And I mean EVERY place....even on the side of the road in the Texas panhandle.

I'm also amazed by how many dead bugs end up inside the car. When I got to Butte, MT, there was a bee sitting on the seat next to me. I don't know how they get in the car without getting splattered...it's weird.

Anyway, after lunch in Bozeman I was back to burnin' dinosaurs and killin' bugs. I didn't stop much for the rest of the day....just kept the hammer down and kept rollin'. The weather was really nice all day...warmed up a little by the afternoon, but not like Texas...I ended up with a nice "one arm tan." Note to self: Put sunscreen on left arm when driving cross country.

I have to say that Western Montana and Idaho are both really beautiful. The stretch of road through Idaho was particularly nice with all the big downhill back and forth sweepers. I let the Hemi stretch its legs through that stretch of road and had a blast. There aren't any roads like this back in Dallas, so that alone was worth the trip.

I stopped in Couer D' Alene...and man...what a pretty town. I could have spent a few days there if I didn't have somewhere to be. I'd definitely like to go back sometime.

Made it into Spokane and gave Chris a call. While on the phone with him, I made a quick decision to forge ahead into Seattle. I really had intended to spend the night in Spokane, but I got there a whole lot earlier than I expected. The car was running bitchin' and felt really good, so I got back in and kept moving.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the roads in Washington, but I found them to be pretty nice compared to some of the others I'd been on. I pinned the ears back on the ol' Model A and hauled ass. Stopped in Moses Lake to gas up and got to the Columbia river just as the sun was going down.

The car made the climb up through Ellensburg and through Snoqualmie Pass without even so much as breaking a sweat. It was fun driving the car through that stretch of road. Traffic was light, so I used all the available lanes and rolled through the curves at around 80mph.

The Hemi definitely likes the elevation (or lack there of) in Washington. It had started to load up a little sitting through the traffic lights in Bozeman, but once I got back on the highway it cleared itself out. By the time I got into Washington, the car was running really nice and crisp...I think the fact that I could get 92 octane in WA helped.

So now I'm in Seattle...arrived just after 11pm. Tomorrow is the start of the Hot-Rod-Arama, so I'm going to clean up the car and relax a bit before heading down to Tacoma.

-Brian

Laurel, MT

[​IMG]

Bozeman, MT

[​IMG]

Butte, MT

[​IMG]

Idaho State Line

[​IMG]

Idaho State Line

[​IMG]

Rural Eastern Washington

[​IMG]

Moses Lake, WA

[​IMG]

The Columbia River - Vantage, WA

[​IMG]

Seattle, WA

[​IMG]

12. S.F.

S.F.

I love the updates of how the Hemi is running!

13. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Fukin rad. Wish I was goin to the Hot rod a rama.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Got the same picture of the Plymouth at the same overlook at the Columbia! Cool man Cool!

15. And to think that some people are afraid to drive their cars only 100 miles to a show. Way to go Brian.

16. Bass , welcome to Washington look forward to meeting you at the Kick off nite for HotRod-A-Rama(today !) at The Swiss, then the big shoe on Saturday.

17. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

18. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The Columbia River - Vantage, WA

[​IMG]

This is an awesome picture. And how about that random anarchy sign on the rock? Very interesting

Keep living Brian. You are doing something that I plan to do in the near future. Just not sure yet if my Henry J gasser is the car to do it with.

19. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

man, makes me want to lock the shop up. pack up what I can squeeze into the roadster and just head north..or west. Great photos...

20. Welcome to the Best Coast, Brian!

Great road log; by the time you get back to Texas, the HAMB calender for '11
    will be complete. Nice shots......
    Robb

21. Slick_Vic

Slick_Vic

I've been following this story, and I love it! I love taking trips like this in my 48 Buick, and people said I was crazy for driving from PA to NC. These are the experiences which you will always remember, and only prepare you for more! Good Luck!

22. krome

krome

Thanks for the pics and info - almost feels like we were there.

23. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Cool pictures Brian. This proves that the A not only looks good but got you from Dallas to Seattle with no problems...incredible realibility cruise. Says a lot about your talent as a hot rod builder.

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

great thread, thanks!

25. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Brian, You are the man, this is turning into the Coolest of threads!

Nick.

26. rat seeker

rat seeker

Bad Ass, I would love to do this, but just not enough guts.

27. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Words can't describe. I only hope I can do something similar. Good luck and stay safe.

28. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

looks like a great trip so far bass welcome to seattle and will be seeing you at hra this weekend

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  29. Keep

Keep

What a cool way to spend a summer. Maybe next year...