Register now to get rid of these ads!

speedway high volume oil pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdrew, Aug 5, 2010.

1. rdrew

rdrew

building 48 stroker flattie. who has run speedway's high volume pump. Is it as good as melling, worse,better or what. also where is it made. can't seem to get answer on that either. thanks rob drew:confused:

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Why not just buy the Melling? You KNOW they're quality

3. greensheads

greensheads

In my experience even melling pumps need taken apart and inspected/cleaned. IF you dont want to do it yourself, Precision Oil Pumps is the best place to go:

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/

I doubt if they have flathead pumps on hand, but Im sure they could set you up with a good pump.
    Kurt

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I like the idea of one that has gone through a rebuild...thanks for that link.
    Problems have been reported, some by extremely reliable builders, with new FH pumps. Do not know how common the problems are.
    I would disassemble and check:
    Tightness of shaft
    side clearances and backlash in gears...#'s are in the book.
    end clearance...not in book. Steal a spec from Chevy or use judgement, but do not leave loose.
    diameter of part of pump that fits into block...compare with an original. Some have been found to be dumping lots of oil there!
    disassemble and look over relief...one guy on here had one that was incapable of seating its relief valve, something that took a LOT of investigation after new engine produced almost no pressure.
    All the people reporting this crap called the manufacturer and were told that they were the only people in the history of the universe to have had a problem...
    Checking out your pump will of course void the guarantee, but that is infinitely preferable to installing a bad one.
    I have a basket of decent '50--53 cores purchased only for their pickups...I now consider them to be the cores I will use. Ford did pretty well on quality control of its suppliers. Best pump carries an 8BA casting number with a B suffix. The one without this B is a 1949 pump with straight-cut gears.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Unfortunately, no longer so. I've spoken with a few flathead guys that are of the opinion that Melling pump quality has taken a nosedive as of late.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Treat the new ones like used ones: Measure and check everything before using.

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I can only speak of my personal experience with Melling, and it has all been good. Though I've never used a flathead pump, I've done 2 B/RB Mopars, a couple SBCs and a SBF with Melling pumps, and I've never had an issue with them. I just open them up, pull em apart, clean them, generously coat the gears and surfaces with assembly lube, reassemble and install. My 383 has almost 80 psi oil pressure at start up.

8. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

with a high volume pump is there any issues with pushing to much to the top end with not enough left over for the bottom end without other mods ?

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The pump can't overfill the top end because there ain't no top end...pump feeds only cam bearings and crank, all down from the distribution tube.. Flathead valve chamber CAN be overwhelmed with splashed oil if the floor baffles and vertical tubes are left out. I suppose a high volume pump could push enough oil past the rod bearings to create excessive splash...

10. kjohnson

kjohnson

I just removed my speedway m15 pump from my 52 8ba. I talked to speedway and they say it is a meling pump repacked in a speedway box. they buy them in bulk and get them cheaper. I had a relif valve that would not seat and lost oil pressure at idle at operating temp. With the stock pump I was running 55 psi at 2300 RPM at 170 degrees. with the speedway high flow I was at 25 psi at the same operating conditions. I tested the spring rate on the stock pump and the high flow for the relif valve, they are the same tried to shim the spring to get more pressure but 2 psi was all I gained. I think the high flows are more for the race engines with looser bearing clearances. If you want mine shoot me a PM and it is yours just pay shipping. Only has 50 miles on it.