Register now to get rid of these ads!

What makes or breaks a car show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JGore99, Aug 4, 2010.

1. josh77

josh77

I won't look at cars without one or the other..........:D

2. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

What makes or breaks a car show? IMO, it's the people, and their attitudes. Those that 'don't want this or that kind of vehicle here' generally turn me right off. It's all about having fun, and being around other folks that are creative/have similar hobbies/interests. Just my $0.02.

3. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

I have only been to 2 shows. But what I realize is a big thing is either a huge event that covers everything or shade. If you have a huge event you have big publicity, and everybody has something to look at. The other thing is shade, incorporate as much natural shade as possible. It is nice to be cool but there is no need for a thousand tarps or being in a covered building. Be outside and look for a venue with heavy trees. Another thing that is rather important is food. This will make or break a long event as I learned at the second show. The first had a local fast food place near by but when we came back, there was only half of the original crowd and cars. Get a bunch of vendors such as snack foods, heavier foods such as burgers, and something sweet and easy like churros. People with a sweet tooth deserve something. :D

The biggest make or break will be events. The first show was several hours and they had multiple things to do. There was a dyno and a show area and a little area where the people were doing burnouts and such. You could also incorporate a little swap meet (only like 10-20 vendors) and some drags. You see, the more for people have to see and do the longer they will stay there and buy more stuff... which means money for you. Plus you can also sell T-shirts and such, which when people wear that you get free advertising and you make profit by selling them. Just my .02.

4. Best Show-RodsNRelics at Lime Kiln Park in Grafton, Wi every June. Park setting, reasonable prices, DJ, Blues Bands, unbelieveable hand made trophies. Worst show, Regner Park, West Bend Wisconsin, $7 for a burger. $1 for each vote for car. Trophies supposed to be given out at 3:30, everone hanging around til after 4pm, none of event staff knew what happened to the trophie presentations-finally one of them said, "oh, they were given out at 3:30-no one heard the announcements. Oh ya, when parking our cars, didn't know where or how to park them, wanted us to pull into the spots nose first. Never again.

5. As long as I can leave whenever I want, I like them. I'm not alone in hating to be trapped all day.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cute chicks in short skirts

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Garbage Cars. If there's more then a 1/3 then it's starts breaking.

8. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

SOUTH GEORGIA STREET RODS, has it locked with the APRIL FOOL ROD RUN. This is around the 1st of April each year. Location is in a shaded RV park just out side of WAYCROSS GA. They feed you on Friday night, till you burst, Show & shine on Saturday, Sunday a prayer to get you going home. 400-600 cars vendors, Flea, and kids games. Been going since 88.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

What makes or breaks a car show?

cars are what makes it or breaks it. if most of the cars are of a style I like it's all good.

location doesn't matter too much, a nice shady park is nice, but cool cars in a parking lot is OK also.

the only thing that might break a show is having only a few cars or a bunch of stupid ones.

it's all about cars... that's why they call them car shows.

10. Jay71

Jay71

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's me and my family went to car shows or poker runs every weekend with my dads club. There was always cool stuff going on at these shows. Tug of wars between clubs, three legged races, egg tosses, shit I remember one time they greased a flag pole and put a $100 bill at the top and whoever could climb it got the money. Good raffles too. Won a brand new Schwinn Stingray one time. Not sure when all this went away, but it definately made it fun for the whole family. Be cool if somebody brought this stuff back.

11. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

The Greenwood car show up here in Seattle is not too bad - closed off street is N/S, so shade is not an issue, lotsa big trees too. Many restaurants and food vendors - but the best thing about it is the WIDE variety of cars: Traditional, musclecars, British, electric - you name it, there will be a few there.

12. Kerry67

Kerry67

So, the way a person looks can ruin a car show for you ??? I guess VLV is out of the question for you. Thats alright, we'll have fun without you.

13. duffy.

duffy.

Breaking down on the way there or the way home

14. The older I get the less I like car shows, the few I do like are park like settings. Trees, grass, a nice place to take my grandkids for the day and enjoy other people and thier cars. No loud music or foul mouthed punks who think because they have a 30 year old car they have some obligation to make sure everyone else has a lousy time. Don't get me wrong, I like 50s & 60s rock&roll music and I really enjoy the younger guys and gals that are getting into the hot rod scene, just show some respect to those of us who have come before you. Sometimes I'll just invite some hot rod friends over to our house and park the cars under some trees and have a cookout. Thats what makes for a good time, old cars and old friends.

15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

A good show should have something for the kids! A lot of us have young families and keeping the kids entertained makes Mom and Dad happy! I went to shows my entire childhood and I can remember, lifter toss, Bigwheel drags, key hunt (key in a haystack), and many other "fun" activites. There was always little trinkets as prizes and all the kids that played got something. You ever see how happy a 99 cent paddleball makes a kid if they feel like they won it?
    Oh yeah, SHADE. No one likes sitting in the sun on a blacktop parking lot for 6 hours!

16. <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> I will just repeat some of what others have said, you need some shade in the summer cause most of us are getting older and the heat affects you more.You need a swap meet and vendors to have some place to wander around and bs when you have seen all the cars cause you saw them all at the last show you went to.You need to advertise the event. Its hard to find out what is going on locally because it is like some private clique when it comes to knowledge of a show.I like the idea of the proceeds, if any, going to a charity that is involved with the event.I think spectators should be charged a buck or two to attend because otherwise the guy who sunk all his dough in a rod is funding everything and that gets expensive if you go to one every weekend or so.Loud music....if you have to yell at the guy next to you, I kinda think the yahoos playing the music have it too loud.If you want to hear the music,which I don't, then you can go closer to the stage or the speakers. I would say do away with trophies.They are crappy and cheap and useless once you get one.Just have a people's choice award that gives the winner a nice meal at a restaurant or something.Have something to do for the kids and those accompanying the car owners; nothing is more boring than trying to be interested in something for your loved ones sake and really hating to be there.

17. I thought the Mooneyes Summer show was one of the best shows I've been to in a very long time, no complaints at all. That one, the LARS, and GNRS could be used a blueprint to anyone wanting to put on a good quality show.

18. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

Nothing like going to a "classic car show" and having 30 '07, '08, '09 Corvettes show up, happens alot around here

19. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Drunken morons doing burnouts can ruin a car show pretty quickly.

20. phukinartie

phukinartie

My peeves about alot of car shows are as follows;

1] Cluster fuck parking If you expect 300-500 cars at your show have 5 or 6 people park cars during the rush from usually from 7-9:00 not some clown waving you in some general direction

2] BATHROOMS At least one porta potty per 100 cars and 1 handicap potty minimum and handwash stations

3] Try and have the show on grass. Who wants to sit on blacktop roasting your balls for 6-8 hours? But car shows in a old part of downtown are pretty cool if the stores are open

4] Sponsor pics over judge classes It is alot easier and gets a bigger cross section of winners

5] Raffles and door prizes for car entrants ..It gives people more to do,along with poker walks

6] Plaques instead of bowling trophies..They take up less space in the shop

7]Crappy t-shirts..for God sakes hire a pro for the artwork and get the good shirts not the ones you can see through

8]Vendors vendors vendors

And lastly throughout the show have people walk around to to offer help, directions, and a sublime patrol of riff raff

21. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I like big shows like LARS & GNRS. Not a big fan of too many other shows.

One of my favorites is coming up- Outriders Picnic.

Makes a show?
    People. Friendly people.
    Big assortment of cars up to 72- even street rods.
    Reasonably priced food, drink & entry fee
    Clean bathrooms
    Friendly show staff

Breaks a show?
    Scenesters & tough guys.
    Loud bands
    New cars posing as show cars
    Expensive food & beverage
    Awards- getting way over the top IMO. Giving 50 trophies to a show of 140 cars is stupid.
    Gate police

I'd rather drive somewhere than sit at a show all day long.

22. ratrodscroungers

ratrodscroungers
    from Idaho

Love to see something unique Hate seing cars somebody just drove off the damn car lot WTF

23. Damn thats a good idea, hope something like that in So Cal comes about.

24. falfas55

falfas55

Loud Ass stereos,and new car crap.I don't want to see new camaros and new mustangs,if I did I would go to the dealerships.

25. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Personally I like the causal shows..

Out here Back Street Kustoms puts on paint and primer....
    It's free to get in... everyone that brings a car gets to eat...and they raffle off a bunch of stuff from car parts to hot wheels....you get to hang out, bring the family, talk with friends and see some sweet cars. Personally I like the older stuff...but I have an appreciation for the work that goes into a well built lowrider...or a nicely done import....not my thing but a lot of work went into them...I don't need to see a stock lambo or vette or new mustang/camaro/challenger etc....and just cause you put rims on it, don't count as kustom.....I have seen some very nice blown camaros, impala's etc...it was obvious they spent thousands of dollars on those engines...

I can't stand unsolicited stereo competitions...especially big bass systems...one guy gets goin then the rest have to follow... engine revving contests...I mean I like the sound of a flathead, y-block, inline or whatever but you can't talk over it...people showing off their trick car horn....
    etc etc...I mean honestly just go whip em out and measure...it would settle things a lot faster...

26. Also, I think promoters should stick to their year cut off. That means the jerks with loud, late model Harleys have to park outside. Nothing against today's "Bikers", but, they ARE late model bikes. And they have their own shows.

27. RodStRace

RodStRace

lots of good stuf here already
    MAKE: shade, bathrooms and water, mellow, pulling in cars you haven't seen before
    BREAK: loud music, brawls, unsupervised kids and adults that have no respect, high prices, frenetic or too structured (you will report to....)

28. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Depends what class your entering.... Depends what car show and what cars are there, and some times it comes down to who the judges know or just plain politics.

29. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Good Location with lots of Sun and Lots of shade. wide enough pavement for walking around to scope the scene and when the time comes to cruise around the show grounds.