Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about a '53 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by irishstonesfan, Aug 5, 2010.

1. irishstonesfan

irishstonesfan
    from Salem, OR

Hi! We just (as in last night) got a '53 Plymouth Cranbrook. It's a 4-door. We were wondering how big of sticklers people were for keeping these particular cars original. It came from the original owner and our neighbor was just going to scrap it. Everything looks to be in decent condition. As we start to restore it, we were wondering if it's acceptable to make this a custom or if we should strive to keep it all original. Any input would be appreciated!! :)

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

who cares what anyone else says or thinks? also, those cars are not very popular, especially the 4 doors. nobody is going to say anything if you hack it up. i had a 53 cranbrook for a while too. cheap entertainment.

3. irishstonesfan

irishstonesfan
    from Salem, OR

Eh, that's kind of what I was thinking too. I'd love to chop it, shave the doors, etc. and just turn it into something a lot cooler than it is now. heh It's not so much that I'm worried about what other people think, it's more the history of original cars. :)

Thank you for your reply...and hello from a fellow Oregonian!

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cool. bring that puppy up for a beaches cruise or something!

5. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I'd agree with Shooter, they aren't a super popular car, nor are they particularly rare either. Especially the 4 door. But with some tasteful mods they can be pretty good looking cars. And if you're willing to do the work to save it, I say do what you want. It'll be better off than it would have been in the scrap yard!

6. I'd take a nice clean one in a flash, dare to be different. Post some pix when you get a chance. I think they look sexy in an unmolested state.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its yours do what you want with it..

Mom and Dads 53:cool:

cranbrook..and belvedere..same car basically

Attached Files:

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i think they're a great looking car personally.

9. let the cutting begain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. david38rc

david38rc

Anything you do to it would be better than your neighbor scraping it!!!

11. mustangsix

mustangsix

My first car was a 53 Mayflower 2dr in that same color scheme. I bought it for $40, put in a new clutch and fuel pump, then drove the heck out of it. I was 14 yrs old.......

12. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Mine is in the process of being turned into a gasser. It's yours! Build it to your taste.

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This is kind of my taste as well. I like updated mechanicals (think 360 or 440; overdrive auto), and a slight lowering over stock wheels. Make them look like the ad guys drew 'em, and drive like the engineers imagined 'em.

-Dave

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would say a 53 Plymouth 4 door is not a good candidate for a custom. nice looking cars, just not good custom material in my eyes.

15. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

I've got a '52 that's been "customized" by the last owner. I've been fixing everything he customized but it's got frenched lights all the way around shaved handles lowered etc. Any way everyone thinks it's a Chevy haha. It's fun to fart around with and I've yet to find anyplace to buy parts for it so do what you can and want to it. Just enjoy it.

Speaking of parts: @cowboy1, still got the steering box for yours? If you don't want it I'll take it!

16. irishstonesfan

irishstonesfan
    from Salem, OR

Thanks for all of the responses. Doing *something* with it is definitely better than scrapping it! I've attached some photos. It's in decent condition and as far as projects go, it's phenomenal...still even has the glass jar washer reservoir intact!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Eb4Prez

Eb4Prez

Good score! True, it's not rare or extremely valuable( collector wise) any old car is a hoot to drive! Before you do much of anything, I would clean it out and get it running decent (tires, brakes, tune-up) and cruise it as-is! You'll be amazed at the thumbs up you'll get! Baby moons and whitewalls do wonders(just PLEASE don't paint the wheels red)!

18. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

Great starting point! I personally think the 53-54s are one of the best looking bodies around. Especially for a custom! Ive got a 53 wagon in the shop that will be getting very mild custom treatments. As soon as its on the road I'll be looking for a 2 door to fully custom. Good luck and let me know if your neighbor has another one to scrap!

19. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Hey dvlscoupe ! Sorry buddy but, I don't. If I did I would give it to ya.

20. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Real clean car . Thats a easy build in my book.:D

21. Here is some eye candy for ya......all 53 Plymouths.

Attached Files:

22. screwball

screwball

Ive got one with an s10 clip small block chev 55 dodge 1/4s and tail lights still not done but it was cheap.

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Whatever you want. Go with that. No matter how you do it, you'll encounter someone that imagines he knows more than you and wants to influence your choces.

With them curtain climbers you'll be glad you have a mor-door. Just imagine that car as your daily. Do it how it being your daily would be practical. I have a hot rod for my daily but can see myself driving that old plymouth instead, and be happy doing it.

Even if you choose to nose and deck it, somebody will let you know you are making a big mistake!:D

24. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

Lookes like a fun little family car to me. Get it runnin' and load 'em up.

25. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

The only mistake you can make on that car is not doing it your way.

Doing it someone else's way is the mistake.

Cleaned up driver or custom its your car.

I just bought a coupe. Plans are mild clean up exterior with updated drivetrain with air for a retirement daily driver. (Retirement after the car is finished and all the parts are bought!)

26. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

I would say if you see some sort of a future for it that you would be excited about driving do it, but do it how you want...your vision of the car. That's my 2 cents!

27. missysdad1

missysdad1

Great starting point! If it were mine (which it isn't!) I'd get it running, lower it like the one in the photo, add dual exhaust and wide whites and drive it like I stole it!

[​IMG]

28. skidsteer

skidsteer

You saved it from the scrap yard, so I think it deserves a little sprucing up! One more vote here, for a mild custom.

29. Looks like a good starting place.

Those flathead sixes aren't real fast, but with two carbs, dual exhaust,
    and a Borg Warer R10 overdrive and/or later model mopar rear end, it can
    be made to keep up with traffic.

I would paint it some "real" color, rather than flat black or some such,
    spiff it up, and drive it for a while......see how you like it.

That windshield washer is called the Jiffy Jet washer. Should have a
    little pedal in the floorboard that pumps the water. If you don't want it,
    will probably sell on ebay.

Just remember, most Plymouths (unfortunately) don't have a high resale
    value, so you might want to be as economical as you can about mods.

Otherwise........have fun and enjoy.

30. 61 chevy

61 chevy

paint it and drive it as is,