Register now to get rid of these ads!

"old style" Baby moon caps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 & 61 Fords, Aug 4, 2010.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Is anyone repopping the older pointed style baby moon caps. Not the shannon cones, just the smooth style? The type Cal-Custom offered in the late 50's.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Don't think so, but the Bob Drake '40 Ford caps with no logo are kinda close.

3. falfas55

falfas55

I think you can get them under Mr. Gasket pn# 4580 for Ford & GM wheels and pn# 4581 for Mopar wheels.

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Pat Ganoul (spelling) Had an old set rechromed for his roadster. If you could still get them I think he would know. I bought some SS ones from Sacramento Vintage Ford. Kinda flat and thin. I bent two getting them on. Think I'll get my old ones I bought from Von Franko in about '90 rechromed. Still have the Cal Custom box and I think the original receipt. As I was leaving he said the box will probably be worth as much as the caps someday. He might be right.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010

5. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Thanks guys!
    I'm surprised "Wheelkid" hasn't re-poped them yet.
    I'd like to take the 48 Ford style off my coupe and put a set of these on it just for a little change if I could find some.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Keep trying ebay. I've found some really obscure stuff there.

7. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

The promblem I have with the re-pops I have is the material they are made from is so thin when installing them any pressure anywhere but at the very edge will dent them

8. locknut

locknut
    from louisiana

9. alchemy

alchemy

Hey guys, the kind that 40/61 is looking for are NOT regular baby moon caps. They have a more pronounced point, without being a point. And they have a more rounded edge where they attach at the wheel. You kinda gotta know what he's looking for or you won't notice the difference.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Not sure if he is that particular but you are right that is what Pat Ganall (spelling again) described in his article.

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just wondering is this the cap you and Pat Ganahl (looked up spelling this time) are talking about?

Attached Files:

12. alchemy

alchemy

That looks like the Drake repro. Kinda close. The old ones have a pointier middle.

13. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Alchemy's right. Without having a good shot of the 2 styles side by side, it really hard to show the difference....but it is noticeable! The orginal Cal-Customs just look "right" on painted steelies.
    Here's a link to the shots of Pat's roadster with the 'right" hubcaps.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=5420

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay side by side. The ones piled up are the ones I bought from Von Franko in about '90 and they are different to the ones on the Plymouth.

Attached Files:

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have an original set on my '47. After I lost one over a bad pot hole I tried finding a repop. After searching online for a week I spent an hour in the woods on the side of the road until I found it but I've been hunting spares ever since. In about 2-3 years I found a pair from a guy who collects Ardun stuff. I still keep an eye out they're very hard to find.

16. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I think he is talking about these, Bleed's '34:

[​IMG]

Notice the pointed center.

Edit: Nevermind I didn't know you were talking about for '40-'48 wheels.

17. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

My dad had a set of 4 moons in his garage....Let me check with him. He may have sold them already...I'll pm you if they are still available

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I remember those now. I never really liked them. We used to call them and even the rounder ones "trailer caps" and that is where we got them from. They were an accessory cap for most camping trailers.

19. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Bump
    I'd really like to see more pictures of the old Baby Moons.
    Thanks Gary

21. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Here are the ones on my car. They are at least 40 years old. The wheels are early Ford centers mounted in reversed '56 Chevy hoops

Attached Files:

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Found another one. Think it might buff out. Just kidding. It'll take a lot of work. Only need one more. I have one perfect one. One with perfect chrome and a dent I might be able to get out and this one. Need one more. Why don't I just let it go and buy what they sell now?

Attached Files:

23. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

These are not as pointed, but I had them for a VERY long time - tissue wrapped and when I bought the Apache, on went some C/R rims and the itty-bitty caps. Aside from 8" rally wheels on mid-60s GM cars - chrome reverse with moons or spiders are my favorite mild street rod wheel. Hot cars get Americans and/or good quality slots.

Attached Files:

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The 'pointy' baldies (as we called 'em) were on trailers. (small camp trailers)
    I bought them from American Auto, Pep boys, Urzi's, and Eastern Auto.
    My bud swiped 7 or 8 sets from the trailer lot...we were playing "Hot Rod Gang" then, and he and Wimpy and I were mock-racing on the streets and clinking hubcaps...
    Two Model A fenderless Coupes and a Hiboy '32 Five window.
    Wish I had some of those caps now...

25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I actually picked his one up at an old trailer storage lot sale. Paid a whopping 25 cents. probably cost me 50 bucks to have it chromed after I spent a day getting out the dents. Hell it's only money.

26. 2935ford

2935ford

Here's an old set I have. These fit over the tabs and have the strength of steel in them not to dent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Those fit 49 or later Ford wheels. I have a couple of those that I would gladly trade for just one like I found that fit 48 and earlier rims.

28. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

well, we've seen a celestial moon picture...how long before some joker gives us an anatomical version?

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hey it's a moon. Maybe not a baby moon but still a moon.

30. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

A friend has a set of the pointed ones and I'd sure love to find a set....but they are just hard as hell to find.....