Register now to get rid of these ads!

before a fatal mistake... flathead help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Aug 4, 2010.

1. choptvan

choptvan

We have a flathead we are putting together and need to find out where the oil lines for the filter go. It is all taken apart so I have no refernece and the pix I have found do not show me where they go. It is for a 47 flathead if that helps. Thankx in advance.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

As I recall the is a pressure port [1/8 pipe] by the O/P sender for the line to the filter. Return should be either a port [1/8 pipe] on the drivers side either in the pan or along the lower edge of the block. These filters are a bypass type and need a restrictor fitting normally in the supply side with a 1/16 hole. These filters were an accessory so inlet and return varied. A T fitting at the O/P sender will also work.

3. choptvan

choptvan

may sound dumb, but this thing is entirely apart and I have no idea where the sending unit even goes. Sorry for the stupidity. My first flathead

4. lil av8

lil av8

(sending unit) you mean fuel sender , if so it goes in the whole behind the carb make sure you put the rod in 1st lol the rumor is that oil filter only circulates about 5% of the oil tooo sure looks cool in proper place tho good luck and have fun

5. deucegasser

deucegasser

OP sender(oil pressure) on the '49-53 motors its just above the bellhousing boss on the rear,left side of the block. Should be a 1/8 tapped hole.

6. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

Driver side head, and back of intake, there is a 1/8 or maybe a little bigger, pipe thread hole. You'll want to run a t out of that. Top will feed to your oil pressure gauge (put an aftermarket under the dash. Don't use the old in dash one) The side of the t will feed to your oil filter canister on the side fitting. It mounts to the 3 holes on the back of the passenger head. Down below the filter, just above the pan, another threaded hole. Bottom of the filter flows back down to that hole.
    It is a partial flow system. Run good oil and change it often, and it filters ok. Wix still makes filters for them.

7. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

See pics. For a '47 (59 series) motor, I believe the return fitting is on the oil pan; on 8BA's it is in the skirt of the block right below the center exhaust.

The oil comes out of a hole on top of the bellhousing, goes into a Tee at the filter. This is a special Tee that has a restriction in the outlet that goes to the filter. The oil pressure sending unit goes into the branch of the Tee. Make sure you install it correctly!

PS the pic of the connection on the bellhousing is a modified block that has a 2nd port added, most only have one.

Attached Files:

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

What are you talking about?!

Choptvan, there are two oil ports behind the driver's side head usually the sender is mounted here, sometimes one of the ports is plugged/not drilled and the sender is mounted on the filter housing. Dooesn't matter which...

One line goes from here to a special restriction fitting on the top/side of the filter housing. Make sure you use the restiction fitting or you'll have low oil pressure. The return linegoes from the bottom of the housing to a port along the driver's side oil pan rail.

BTW, it is not a full flow oil system so leaving it out entirely would not be a fatal mistake. Even with the filter setup, I change mine every 1000 miles.

Have fun!

9. choptvan

choptvan

you guys are the shit! Thank you so much!

10. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010