Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is a '57 Ranchero worth buying?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flamingo_57, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

Just wanted some opinions here. The car has been sitting in a garage for 20 years, is complete except for seat, probably will need floor pans. Has a 312 and 3 on the tree. (this is Missouri, new cars need floor pans here.) I can prolly pick it up for $2500, is it worth it?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

could be. but then again, maybe not.

3. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

4. Sounds like a pretty good start. Great looking vehicle.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Check out the frame. I have a '59 that looks decent on top but the frame is shot. A bad frame would be a deal breaker for me. If it has a solid frame, engine turns, and comes with a title, I'd say that's a good buy.

6. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

here are the only pics I have of it, which suck and dont really show anything. I figure If i get it running and paint it, I cant lose any money on it. (I think) Di-regard the puke tastic wheels.

Attached Files:

7. That would make a great looking ride.

8. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

I'll have to go check the frame and floors. He said the pans were crunchy so the frame might be toast too. It's been in the same family for 35 years and is located about 40 miles from me so it's worth checking out.

9. If the frame is okay, I'd take it in a heart beat, I love those 57-59 Ranchero's.

10. Frames tend to rot where they bow out in the middle on those, from what I can see, the best one was a '58 Edsel ragtop in a yard here. Step on the left rear bumper and the right rocker panel would rise up - the center X was okay, but the outer rails were shot.

11. Vee 888

Vee 888
    from texas

A complete one! and you are thinking about it?

12. metalman

metalman

Not a bad looking car, course I might be partial since I drive a red & white 57 Ranchero every day! Around here thats about the going rate for a good builder... providing all it needs are floors. All 57 Rancheros needs floors I think, even here in the desert!
    FWI I'd be willing to bet thats a 292 instead of a 312, very few Rancheros had 312s and that looks like it is the original motor. Lots of folks just like to throw that 312 thing out there on any Y-block. Wouldn't be a deal breaker, 292 is a fine motor (I love mine) and if it's the original 57 heads they are the good ones. Just be prepared to drop some $$$ on the rebuild if it's toast, they ain't cheap to rebuild. Everything else it seems is fairly cheap to come by.

13. I saw that on the CL and if I had any more room it would be mine! Go for it!

14. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

It all boils down to the frame for me. I don't waste time on rusty cars. I'll prolly go check it out in the next few days.

15. im not too sure on rancheros but i bought my 57 sedan as a roller it had new floors all installed new quarters allready installed new seals for the front and rear windshields and a few other new parts and i got it for 2500

then i bought a real solid 57 fairlane 500 4 door shell non roller from someone here on the hamb for 400.00

so is it worth it? thats a question only you can answer id be hard pressed to give that much for it

16. Ill take it! Thats my second most favorite car of all time.

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I would say that if the frame is solid, you got a good deal.

18. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Yep...frame good = grab it!
    Everyone loves a Ranchero...don't they?
    Well...I do, anyway...

19. Lono

Lono

seen that on kijiji too...
    deal hard on it cuase theres good stuff around right now.

20. drchopper

drchopper

Get it and make a serious GASSER out of it !!!! there is some real bad ass ones on this website , search the other tri fives Ford . good luck jp

21. Check the rain gutters as well, they rust from the inside out!

22. Who would want something as cool as that???

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

A damn cool truck, and you stole it.

24. Never mind you alrready did buy it.

Pretty cool old rides when done right. Ya just can't beat a 312.