Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

By the way fella's... another fine car is nearing completion. Only a few more lil' adjustments and she'll be ready to fire.

A lot of different people had there hands in on this Restoration. I can only take credit for some Body fitting, a couple body panels, PAINT & LETTERING, parts gathering, and some Knowlege.

The Martini Bros of Saylor Park are responsible for the assembly, and prep.

--------------------

The HART Chevy Sprinter.

Watson COPY built by Ron Hart in 1964 form Watson plans. Raced dirt and pavement all through the mid to late 60's.

Finished 7th in the USAC points in 68'
    Driven by:
    Bob pratt
    Chuck Hulse
    Bob Harkey
    and others I'm sure..

Attached Files:

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thanks. you not only answered my posted question, but a couple I didn't post.

3. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

WOW !!
    Looks GREAT...... I remember Chuck Hulse driving it, but I have to say that I don't remember it looking quite this good.:D

4. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Speaking of Frank Fiore Jr. Frank are you on here or the midget site? Denny Z

5. CincyKen

CincyKen

Hi Al,

Do you have any photos of the "Hart" sprinter on the track?
    I would be very interested in any or all.
    I would like to get one of its past drivers back in the car for a few laps if anyone knows them............ and if they have any interest in even doing it.
    Thanks in advance
    Ken

:)
    PS. Isn't it cool the way Josh can make a rather average car look like a
    Rembrandt?
    Josh....your working to hard. You did ALOT MORE than what you
    had listed !!

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Hart/Jones Spl. in a different color and numbered 7 with Don Thomas at the wheel 1968.

Attached Files:

7. Stolen my HART again........great job.

8. gnuse

gnuse
    from Jawja

What a great thread. Figured I should share a couple of photos of my '58 Hillegas Sprint Car. Original engine was an Offy that won the Indy 500 a few times. Tony Hulman wanted it back to unite with the Blue Flame Special, so it got sold and replaced with a 301 Chevy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  9. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Thanks for posting the photos.

The "Man" only built one of Speedy.

10. KSGerry

KSGerry

In 1978 the car was first owned and driven by Billy Joe Havens. It was pearl white with a crimson red #1. The driver never ran the car to it's potential. Howard "Doc" Ely bought the car and completely rebuilt it with better, safer components...brake lines, fuel lines, halon fire system, etc. Doc Ely painted the car it's present silver metallic blue and numbered it "5" as that was where his son was ranked in World Karting points.

John Logan was the first driver until Doc teamed up with Harold Reynolds. Harold won the Feature in his first race driving for Doc...the prestigious Sam Sessions Memorial race at I-96 Raceway Park on September 9th 1978.
    The team never finished lower than fifth place except once when the engine blew.

This car also was at the first ever World of Outlaws race held at Champaign, Illinois on April 14th 1979. There were 190 Sprint cars in attendance. The car did not make the "A" Feature.

Howard Ely sold the car to Art Cable in the 1980s then it was sold to Tom Hamilton. Both of those owners intended to make this car into a street rod. It was disassembled and remained untouched until purchased by me. I sold the car to Ron Yurista of New York and I understand that the car is now in the northwest.

The driver, Harold Reynolds, was inducted into the Michigan Motorsports Hall Of Fame in 2005

Attached Files:

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Good shot Rootie! I haven't seen that one. We only have one shot of it white. That was the year after it ran 7th in the USAC points. In our shot there is NO lettering.. one of the reasons we didn't do it up like that. Also, I never noticed it had scallops on the tail when it was white. VERY COOL!

Thanks.

This is the only shot we had of it white.

Also, the other 3 of 4 paint schemes it was over the years. It was first Red and White, then all white #7 then Two tone Blue (like it is now) and then all light metallic blue..

Attached Files:

12. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  13. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hey Buildy! Of course we care! I noticed that #59 car but had no idea who was in it and was clueless that it was 'one of Smokey's drivers.' It reminded me of Roger McCluskey's "Konstant-Hot" cars and Shorty Templeman's "Hardwood Door Offy" with that fancy number.

14. Buildy

Buildy

Hi Little Fauss!

I can tell you a little about the car. It was a Trevis kit that Jerry and my Dad built during the winter of 1967/68. Jerry went USAC with it without any success. He also ran the car at Susky here in Central PA,but was not thrilled with the rough driving going on there. He also ran the Super Modified race at Hershey Pa in the car,was running third when something in the driveline broke.
    The car was sold to buy Jerry`s first Indy car in 1969.

15. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Im slow getting back on this one; havent felt so good lately.
    My brother Dick bought that car from a man name of Tarr from Franklin, PA. It had before that been driven by Dick Kelm in URC. races. My brother made a number of changes to the car, including replacing the old rear torsion bars with cross bars.
    I think Mr. Tarr said the chassis was a Curtis copy.
    This car was not what i would call a good working car. Not on dirt or pavement.
    But it was restored very nicely. Looks good.
    Will try to reach my brother; maybe get more info from him. He nowb lives in NH.

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Buildy, Of course we care. Not enough of the race track to tell in Jerry's picture but the other photos, Chuck Booth and Bob Harkey look like Reading.....but my brain no remember to well sometimes. Denny Z

17. Buildy

Buildy

Thanks Denny!

Those photos do look like Reading that you mentioned.

I can`t remember,but Pretty sure my Dad and Jerry took the car west to race USAC,they went to Ohio,Indiana with it. I remember Jerry talking about New Bremen,maybe Eldora,too.
    Not sure if he tried Reading. He only ran the car a few times before they sold it.
    When they went on that trip they were so broke they ended up painting seats at IMS for money to eat,gas etc.

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks SPIKE, That is excellent info..

Hope ya feel better.

J Shaw

19. Buildy

Buildy

Same here,hope you are feeling better, Spike!

20. racer5c

racer5c

"This car also was at the first ever World of Outlaws race held at Champaign, Illinois on April 14th 1979. There were 190 Sprint cars in attendance. The car did not make the "A" Feature."

Pretty sure the first Worl Of Outlaw race was at Devils Bowl Texas

21. racer5c

racer5c

Tony Hulman wanted it back to unite with the Blue Flame Special,

would that be the Blue Crown Special?

22. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Does anybody know what page contains the finished pics of the Vargo Offy Sprint Car? Now owned by John B. Haines.
    Thanks

23. KSGerry

KSGerry

Hmm, both of us MAY be incorrect. :D According to race stats prepared by the late (and great!) Phil Harms, the first World of Outlaws event was held February 7, 1979 at East Bay Raceway near Tampa, Florida and was won by Doug Wolfgang.
    See: http://www.motorsport.com/stats/woo/data/woo-1979.pdf

Perhaps the events prior to Devil's Bowl (March 29, 1979) were classified later as World of Outlaws races?? Also, I wonder if the event held in Champaign, Illinois on April 14, 1979 was considered the first NATIONAL race and the ones before then were considered REGIONAL or LOCAL??
    I dunno.....

24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Haven't been many pictures so...

[​IMG]
    from JJarthurs collection

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spike-
    Can't tell you what page there on, but I did save some of the pics mlight9 posted.

Attached Files:

26. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

I think it's just unfortunate wording. As Roy has correctly stated, the very first WoO race was at Devil's Bowl March 18 in 1978, but the first WoO race held at Champaign, IL was indeed on April 14 in 1979. :)

Both were won by NARC drivers, by the way, and I believe in the same car.

27. KSGerry

KSGerry

Ahhh yesss! THE magic number 1978!! Had I done a little more research I would have discovered that fact! Thanks Michael.

From world-sprintcar-guide: "...The World of Outlaws was formed in 1978 by Ted Johnson, the first race was won by Jimmy Boyd at Devil’s Bowl Speedway, Texas on March 18 of that same year..."
    See: http://www.world-sprintcar-guide.com/world-of-outlaws.html

OK... who has a fork so I can eat crow??

28. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Here's a couple of pictures.......my first year in URC....don't remember which track it was though. Denny Z

Attached Files:

29. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

One more....

Attached Files:

30. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The first two are Williams Grove.