Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight 6 setups..pics and info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crotex, Aug 3, 2010.

1. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I am building a 33 chevy for my wife and she is interested in running a straight six in it. I am interested in them a little more everytime i see a cool one posted on here too. I have seen some cool setups on here like amazing headers and 5 carb intakes and stuff of that nature.
    Anyone out there please share some pics and info on your strraight 6 motors and what kind of money you have in them what it took and what kind of power they make I would be really interested in checking it out
    thanks

2. gwarren007

gwarren007

Is this a coupe? The weight and length of the chevy six has to be factored in when choosing a six. Most of the time, a V6 would be a better choice.

3. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Didn't it come with an inline 6 new?

4. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

it is a 2 door sedan and yes it came with a straight 6 new but I did not buy the car new.

5. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I am not asking for pics and info on straight 6s in 1933 chevys I am just asking about the motors in general regardless of its application.

6. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Here's my set-up wright now, in a 65 Comet sedan (11.20's 117mph around 400HP)

[​IMG]
    By cometii at 2010-07-14

7. six gun, is that a 240/300? sweeet.:) As the saying goes... 6=8

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

My 2 faves are the Chevy 250, and the Mopar 225. I've had both.

9. mustangsix

mustangsix

Cool! 300?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

<<<<<<<<<<<<< Chevy 250 powered. Pics in my albums

11. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

12. dmw56

dmw56

My Chevy 250. Offy 3 X 1 with Rochesters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Is anybody using the Ford 300/six cylinder? I know there are a couple of different 4-barrel manifolds for that and dual cast iron exhaust manifolds for it as well as tubing headers available. What I have not seen is multi-carb manifolds for them. Why?
    It also seems to me they'd be a great candidate for turbocharging, or even a McCulloch Supercharger, especially the later fuel injected power-plants.

But that's just me, thinkin' again ...

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I am running this 300 in my OT shop truck (it is a little too new for this forum). The Intake is an Offy unit, but Clifford makes good intakes for the 300's as well. Mulitcarb intakes are hard to find for the 300's, but there are a few members here who have made their own. I always thought 3 Webers looked pretty sick. The exhaust is cheapo Hedman Headers. You are right, the bottom end on 300's is very stout (damn truck motor for crying out loud), and they would respond to forced induction well. The choke point is the head, the ports need some serious work to flow alot of air.

[​IMG]

15. Is your wife a gear-head? while i admire a good 6 with multi carbs, there is no way i would ever build one for my wife. I've always had better luck with FI, not to mention that in a breakdown situation, if you have a computer jack any mechanic can run it on a scanner. Harder to find guys that can deal with a carb problem. I've been looking at the jeep's, the 5 cyl the trailblazer had somewheres around 2002ish, and *cough* BMW, Audi... But, build what you (she) wants!!

16. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

The six's are so long is the only problem I saw when I switched to a 250 six. I ran it two years and switched to a V8 and found out the V8 with a long water pump and clutch fan is only about one half inch shorter than a 250 but I have tons more power and I even get better gas mileage. The 250 uses the same parts as the V8 for the most part but you must update the ignition to hei which makes a big difference on the highway and if you want to get better mileage than you must get a better carb. Langdon's has a lot of six info and parts without being expensive. So good luck on your choice.

17. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

here ya go. clifford intake. weber 48IDAs. big in-out toploader. 9 inch trac-lock.

Attached Files:

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Chivvy 250 in my space-cab truck; Carburetor twice
    carb twice.jpg

Chivvy 292 in hot rod Nash; Carburetor thrice
    292 intake dual exhaust.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  19. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

20. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

I don't have any pics available right now, but I'm running a '62 261 in my '50 Chevy pickup, and I have a 302 GMC out of a '55 GMC 450 dump truck sitting in my garage. I'm trying to figure out if I want to rebuild the 261 or rebuild the GMC and put it in my truck. Both smoke a bit. The truck the Jimmy came out of rolled down a hill after the parking brake failed. The exhaust manifold is cracked and I'm hoping the head isn't. I'm leaning toward building the GMC if the head is still good. A 270 or 302 GMC with a Howard log manifold is a cool choice for an early Chevy car, both have good grunt and are pretty traditional but they can be expensive to build.

21. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

This is the setup in my grandfathers fishin' rig.
    He was a inliner guy from way back, no tellin' what was done inside.

[​IMG]

22. My 261 with a 200 4r transmission. It's all stock. Had a 235 - 848 head built for it - cost about $400. Everything else was in spec. It's in my 51 GMC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I have a 1940 216 going in my 1931 Chevy coupe. Cast iron pistons, and insert bearings on the rods and crank. It made a bitchin hot rod in its day. Last time it felt the heat of combustion was Sept. 1960.
    I have an adapter from Buffalo Ent. to mate it to a S-10 T-5. Few are willing to spend the time and money to save a 216, but it is a cool old motor and lots of parts are out there.

24. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

I could be wrong but I think the straight six would have more torque than a V6. The V6 would be able to rev higher than the straight six. The straight six would definately look better and be more traditional than a V6. Your 1931 Chevy coupe came with a straight six from the factory so a straight six fitting is a non-issue.

I work at a Boat Repair shop (new job after being unemployed for a year and a half!) and my boss owns several Chevy 250 straight six's that were sold by Mercruiser Marine. I think they are 165 HP (2 barrell carbs with marine exhaust logs that don't flow well). They all need to be rebuilt. The only reason I mentioned this is because these marine engines have side covers and valve covers that have fins on them and other than the words Mercury Marine on them they look cool. Also marine engines may have stronger bottom ends and/or cranks, but most marine engines are stronger than their automotive counterparts.

I also have a 1931 Chevy coupe and I am also considering a (Mercury Marine) Chevy straight six and a 3 speed on the column and a underdash controlled overdrive.

That's probably because the engine sling's it's oil like a lawn mower engine vs. having a oil pump. The slinger method is definately not the best design for a engine in a hot rod being used as a hot rod.

My first car/truck was a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 216. That thing had a couple hundred thousand miles on it and it smoked like a train, but it beat a Datsun 210 wagon that had a header and a Weber in a 1/4 mile race. hahaha

25. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Mike in Tulsa that combo looks sweet! Nice work.

26. fatty50

fatty50

mike is everybodies hero over on the A-D truckers group!!!:D

27. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

LIL.TIMMY, love the 300 inch Ford motor! That intake system is waaay cool for a hot rod setup! What's it in?!

Thanks for the pictures!
    Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

28. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Mine is a DESTROKED 300 (272ci) FORD..
    Here are some multi carb set-ups Iv'e ran before

[​IMG]
    By cometii at 2010-02-12

[​IMG]
    By cometii at 2010-02-11

29. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

whats left of a 29 tudor. i stretched it a bit. angle channeled. pops used to take us to the portland roadster show when we were kids. the "ORANGE CRATE" was locally owned and made a big impression on me. never wanted a roadster, only a tudor body would do.

Attached Files:

30. BelairBrian

BelairBrian

Your Chevy was built with a 6, probably 216 and low tech. My dad had one in his 32 roadster and told me many times on how critical the oil pick ups were on the crank shaft, that they were properly aligned to fling oil around the engine for proper lubing. I have driven my 56 Belair with a stock 261 (found in 3 and 5 ton Chevy trucks and Pontiacs). It is very drive able and great torque. It is getting a dual or tri carb update as well as a split exhaust manifold giving it dual exhaust. Add on Porter's steel pack muffler set for a real old skool classic sound. I think this is a very reasonable and classic enough engine setup for both 50's cruisers and 30's resto rods. I have a friend with a 38 2 door and SBC. Sounds nice, drives OK and is too common in my opinion. Go for a Chevy 6, make it pretty, make it loud, be a bit more unique. It is reasonable performance on a budget, the engine does not need much.