Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porter Mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  2. Since they're not chambered, I wouldn't think Porters offer much, if any, restriction, so long as the exhaust is otherwise sized correctly.

And yeah, they sound awesome!

3. I've seen em made. They are heavy duty. A heavy gauge coil forms the chamber.
    Plus Clark is a great guy.

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I've heard that Glasspacks that are louvered create a lof of turbulence, thus they are very restrictive. A glasspack that is preforated is free flowing. I have a pair of old Cherry bombs and if you look inside, the tube is straight thru with half of it preforated and half solid. I don't know if the Porters are Lovered or Preforated but a lot of the new glasspacks are Louvered.
    A good example is Smittys. The old Smittys were Steel Packed and Preforated. The new ones are fiberglass packed and Louvered.

5. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

No louvers or perforations. There is a steel spring inside the core that turbos the exhaust out. They are a free flowing muffler, packed with stainless steel and hand crafted, the Old Skool way! True vintage. Built to last!

1Nimrod and MIKE STEWART like this.
  6. pdq67

pdq67

Right, I've said this until I'm blue in the face that a W/D/T smooth perforated inner pipe glasspack will flow darn near what the same size STRAIGHT PIPE will flow!!
    Their prices are right and if they are too "rappy/poppy" for you, then install a shorter one either in front of or behind it as a resonator to quiet it down.

You look close at the new, high-zoot, box-type glasspacks and all they really are, are repackaged W/D/T smooth perforated inner pipe glasspacks at a heck of a lot higher selling price, IMHO!!

pdq67

7. pdq67

pdq67

Please post back a link to a picture of their construction.

Thanks.

pdq67

8. Be sure to post a video with them on the Poncho... would love to hear it with the Porter's on it.

9. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Not to hijack your thread but I too have a question about the Porters, love the sound of them, however, are they like glasspacks and "burnout" and get louder or do they pretty much hold the same sound throughout their life? I listened to the vids posted on your website and really like the way they sounded there but all seemed to be new installs. Jim

10. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

They do not burn out for many years becuase they are packed with stainless steel material. If you listen to the Galaxie 500 on the front page of my website or the Buick Riviera, those have been on many years, galaxie about 8 years and buick about 5 years (at the time they were recorded). The more you drive them, the better they sound. I've taken them off of cars after 20 years, so they can put a fresh pair on. Some people have me remove them before they sell their car, so I can put them on their next car. I've had them on my daily driver, Chev. 3/4 ton P/U for the last 4 years, driving in the winter, salt & all, and they are still doing well. Hope that helps with your questions.
    Clark

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Sam will appreciate the order! He & his wife, Doris are great people who seem really excited about our mufflers!

I hope you enjoy them too!

12. Check with Dave Payette (HAMB "Roosters Hot Rods"). He does a ton of exhaust work He knows the differance and swears by Porters.

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Excellent Product.... You can even polish up the muffler if you wish.....

14. concreteman

concreteman

Great muffler -put them on my 34 -no H pipe sound great
    Different very cool sound :D:D

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. These are killer mufflers with a good rumble with all the snap..... My car has 2.5 inch pipe and it sounds awesome! It doesnt have that "coffee can" sound that you get with bigger pipe, and its a well made product.

16. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Porter mufflers win my choice hands down. If I ever put exhaust on my car, I'll be ordering up some Porters.

17. Oh yeah, Porters on my '56 Fairlane Yblock. Installed them last spring and they've 'seasoned' just a bit - sound fantastic. Clark is great - btw Clark, I still owe ya a video of the car. Wanted 'em to break in just a bit so I'll try & post a video here later.

18. kisam

kisam

Your car sounds awesome. I ordered some Porters last week. I am curious where you found your scavenger pipes??

19. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Thanks guys, It's good to hear all the positive feedback.
    By the way, If anyone wants to make youtube clips of there cars running porters. Send me the links and I will put them on my website.

Thanks,
    Clark

1Nimrod and MIKE STEWART like this.
  20. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Can't wait to hear it, Ron!

21. cederholm

cederholm

How do they sound on a Chevy IL6 (235) with dual exhausts? I plan on upgrading my exhaust soon and I'm interested in the Porters.

Also, if you guys care to recommend a website to purchase from, I'm listening ~ would rather buy from a HAMB friendly store. (and get off my butt and become an alliance member too!!:D)<O:p</O:p

22. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

There is a video clip on my website of a 292 IL6 you can listen to.
    They do sound great.

23. csimonds

csimonds

Anybody know how they sound on a Buick Straight 8?
    CHUCK

24. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

my porters are fantastic

25. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If I upgrade my exhaust, I'll be looking to get a pair.

26. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I have a pair of Porters on my truck with a mild 350 sbc. They sound magnificent. And they're built like cannons.

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Anyone wanting scavenger pipes.....................make your own. Hold the pipe with the end just above the forming end of a vise and use the round end of a ball pein hammer to gently roll the edge outward. Many soft blows while rotating the pipe will form a rounded flange that can get as big as you want. Finish with a file and emery cloth. Instead of chrome have them jet hot coated...........they will last forever.

Frank

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Never liked the look of so called "scavenger" pipes.

Nothing better than a pair of straight cut pipes out the back IMO.

29. NUMBER

NUMBER
    from MN

Took the glass packs off my 32 earlier this fall. Got a set from Clark. He made them 2" shorter to fit under the car where the glass packs were. The Porters are fantastic. Can actually hear in the car now. Before at 50-55 the droan was nasty. Now I can actually hear the old lady....Guess I should put the glass packs back on!...That ain't gonna happen.

30. cederholm

cederholm

Just checked out the Porter website and read a bunch of feedback here on HAMB.

SOLD!

When I swap out my exhaust, Porter it is!

~ Carl