Register now to get rid of these ads!

school vs. shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billytschopshop, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

When I got out of the Navy it was really hard to find employment. I struggled for 6 months just to get a job I hated. Take the umemployment that is available to you along with hopefully the GI Bill that you signed up for and go to school. At first may be tight but you will be better for it in the long run.

2. okay so i went to U.T.I a few years back, there was a guy there that was in the military and he was in class with me, i guess he couldnt do what he truely wanted in the military.

but ill say since iv been to the school, i learned A LOT!! BUT its basicly not the stuff you want to know! i know all kinds of stuff about new cars and computer crap, and i mostly forgot it cuase its useless to me, i cant find a job in a shop worth a damn and am fired 6 months later for some other new kid, its a mess out there, iv had better luck doing jobs i knew nothing about. my advice, if youv got a family dont go to tech school unless you got alot of money.

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how i look at college:

How much does it cost?
    Do you have the cash to pay for it? if not, are you taking a loan?

Do marginal benefits = marginal costs.

if you spend 20 grand on a school: what does that cost (your potential gross earnings less the cost of the loan) and what do you get?

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Thanks for serving.

First, get a job to support your family. They've been waiting for you to come home. Get to know them better.

In your spare time after work and on weekends, with some tools, reference books, an old motor in the back yard, a welder, etc, you can teach yourself more than a general school like wyotech can. They are in business to get the federal loan money, not to train you in anything that you can't teach yourself by networkinbg/reading, etc. Look at it this way; Did you enjoy the job training the Army gave you in boot camp and after? Most guys like you are beyond sitting in a classroom and listening to banter, gleaned from reference material that you can check out for free at the library or get online.

Then, with your feet on the ground with a paycheck, if attending school will advance you in the company, most will spring for short courses at local voc-tech specialty training like welding, for example.

5. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

I would start out in school. It may cost a bit especially now, but the way the world is now you need the piece of paper saying you know your butt from a hole in the ground. You may start off at the bottom afterwards, but you will have more opportunities at your door than if you don't. I took the Collision/ Refinish and street rod at Wyotech and I have no regrets. If I hadn't I probably wouldn't have had the opportunities I have/do. I learned a ton especially in street rod. And learning the proper techniques and procedures will help out ten fold. Then you may be able to open your own shop and be your own boss. My .02$ Good luck.

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

Dont ruin your hobby.

7. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

I'm 25...I don't know how it works in the U.S....but here in Canada I took government funded and directed schooling to start my apprenticeship and become an "Automotive Service Technician"...it is the equivalent of ASE certification in the U.S...the schooling was 1 day a week from Sept to June for 3 years. I was able to work, make money and attend the school. After the 3 years of schooling (you have to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA) and approx 9,000 hours on the job...and if you score at least 70% on the government exam...you earn your AST License...I can work on and write safety certificates for motorcycles, cars and vehicles up to 9000 Kg....just can't do air brakes or trailers....

My personal advice....get the schooling and on the job training, if posssible. You will learn a lot at school...and the RIGHT way to do things...you can pick up a lot of bad habits from other people being on the job....BUT you can also learn a lot if you have good people to learn from...that's what helped me excel at the school portion...good on the job experience...

Good Luck

8. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

I have to agree some what with that....after working on cars all day....its hard to get the motivation to go out to the garage after work.

9. bryan6902

bryan6902

Go to your local Vo-tech or trade school and try to get a part time job wrenching or helping at a body shop. This way you'll gradually ease into the industry and you can determine if it's what you really want to do. And you will pick up real world experience as well as a little bit of cash. I do not like the WyoTech 18 months straight of school, out in the middle of no where approach, it's not real world.

I've been in shops for 16 years, dealerships for 13 of those and I feel like I didn't really get it until about 8 years ago- it takes time, school is a great stepping stone and will get your foot in the door. Take advantage of the opportunity to go get an education if you can.

10. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

What he said ^^^^^ Most state tech schools offer a post graduate program where people that have already graduated high school go full time in the automotive subject material and finish the program in half as much time as the students that still have to take subjects to graduate high school do.

Your VA bennies should cover the course and pay a stipend also.

Another benefit to the state schools is the networking pipeline local dealers and parts houses use to get employees from the graduates of the schools. Some of the instructors spent time in the automotive business world before coming instructors and still have contacts in the business leading to some headhunting for good employees.

And when I went you also get to learn basic hot rod building skills like basic welding, some basic lathe skills, and some basic electrical skills in addition to automotive type subjects.