Register now to get rid of these ads!

learning to pinstripe...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by makgreens, Aug 4, 2010.

1. makgreens

makgreens

been at it off and on for a few months and have a few things to show for it haha
    still cant figure out how to make both sides of a design the same
    not to mention im too quick to wipe off what ive done and start over:(

any advice on where to go from here would be awesome :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i know it needs some work but like i said im doing it off and on and still havent figured out what kinda designs work for me best yet

2. slammed

slammed

Slow down. Master the letter 'S'. Study other 'striper's work. Try to watch them 'live' as well as YouTube clip's.

3. Brush control is the staring point, design will follow from there. The best you can do is practice till you hate it, then practice some more, ha,ha. Join up with a group, do some panel jams and study others design work, it will come to you naturally after time. Oh yeah, join the HAMB pinstripers group and Pinhead Lounge too.....

Curse.

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Gotta start somewhere and YOURE doin it. I bought a Beugeler (?) pin striper in 1982 and its still in the box. Talk about wasting $110.00! I came across it Sunday and its still new. One stripe and youre better than me.
    BTW, I like your work.

5. makgreens

makgreens

haha yeah my brush control isnt great...im pretty impatient..and thats horrible when ya wanna pinstripe
    usually when i get a great line i screw it up and erase it

how do i get over the shaky hands haha

6. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I've found that drawing a grid to reference the right side to left to flop the design can be helpful. Even some of the better known people use this technique. Look at some YouTube videos, get some books from the library, buy a DVD. It takes a bunch of practice, and you have to really dedicate yourself. I'm one of those people that can't pay attention that long, though. Von Dutch was self-taught, and just found his way through it, till he was "The Man."(the old fake it till you make it technique.) Good Luck and keep at it, it was almost a dead art there for a while, were it not for guys like you with a desire.

7. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

As with anything, experience and attitude! I'm shaky cuz I'm an old fossil, don't think that will go away.

8. makgreens

makgreens

the fake it till you make it technique is my favorite:D

9. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Don't be afraid to make a mistake and you're 1,000th of a way there.If you're afraid,call the police.Seriously,if you can't screw up,you can't learn.

Enjoy your striping time;don't tense up and be afraid to screw up.
    Play some of your favorite music while you're striping.Create a fun atmosphere!

That dreaded word-practice.And then some more.Maybe some more.
    What the hey,it's fun,right?

Get cheap paint and mix motor oil in it to practice,it's cheaper that way.One Shot is spendy.

Think of your design as a clock face.If you start at the top(12) and pull to 7:30,then you might also be starting at 12 on the next line and pulling to 5:30.
    Works for me?
    I also draw designs on small slips of paper to stay creative when I don't have a brush handy.Keep the papers and see how you're progressing design-wise?
    Pull a design on a piece of paper and date it.Pull designs for ___ months,then refer back to your original design and pull it again.Any similarities? Better or what?

Practice flat striping and on a vertical subject too so you're ready to pull lines on car doors,B-pillars and toolboxes,etc.Some things can't be flipped onto their side for convenience?

Train your brushes when you store them.Oil them up and lay them flat so they retain their shape.It helps greatly.

Your will must exceed your skill.You gotta want to become more proficient and more skilled!
    Like Chris Stapley ^ said,look at others work,ask questions,seek out those more skilled to become more skilled.

Remember,only Alan Johnson and Rod Powell are darn near perfect stripers?

When the student is ready,the master shall appear....

Good luck and have fun!

10. slammed

slammed

Focus your mind and breathing. Yes, it sound's 'Zen' like but you center yourself. Visualize the image in your mind. Control your emotion's. (work's in sex too) Do not erase your mistake's. Save them to learn from.

11. Retrorod

Retrorod

I went to a seminar at So Cal Speed Shop with Herb Martinez some time back and aside from alot of very valuable tips and instructions...Herb said, "buy a one gallon can of white One Shot and start practising...when that can is empty you can call yourself a striper".

12. Diesel_crawler

Diesel_crawler
    from Canada

13. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I stripe a lot better with a few polish pops, try it you don't shake as much, I'm not talking 2 sheets just 2 brewskis.

14. don't take this wrong, but you're doing the same thing everyone else does............trying to run before you learn to walk.

15. nickeynova

nickeynova
    from texas.

for me i gotta be in the mood. now when i say mood i mean kids quiet n in the other room or out side, wife leaving me alone, no pop or sugar type drinks. makes me to shaky.music playin low. i can't seem to get all in one try. if things aren't going smooth i get all frustrated n pissed off. like others have said ur zen. tune out the world. use an old phone book to practice on. u mess up turn the page. good luck.

16. If you don't know what a pounce pattern is, find out on the web, and you can a have pattern that will be exactly the same on each side.
    That is the way old time pros laid out their work. Michaelangelo used them on the Sistine Chapel.
    Below are different size pounce wheels used to make the paper patterns.

Attached Files:

17. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

2x on that! This pokes little holes in paper, then take a sock and fill it with chalk dust and tie it off. lay your paper down and pounce the chalk bag over the design then pull it away and you have a feint design to follow. Like hotrod1940 said, they bin do'in it for centuries!

18. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

19. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

If you're winging it freestyle,use your fingers as rulers.
    Sometimes i touch the tip of the brush to leave a dot on the panel to pull to.
    After you pull awhile,you'll develop an eye for lengths and side-to-side.

Pounced patterns are a lot of fun.Draw a pattern,lay it on a piece of corrugated carboard and pounce it,then turn your pattern over and lightly sand it with 300+ grit sanpaper.
    Flip it object side down and dust it.
    Wail away!

20. makgreens

makgreens

ive been winging it
    im trying to have my own style but learning on the basics..
    ive got about 6 colors of one shot and damn thats expensive stuff and 2 mack brushes that are starting to fall apart haha

21. makgreens

makgreens

cant decide where to go from here on my 64 dodge cluster....
    looks worse in person haha[​IMG]

22. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

If it was me, I'd throw a tiny squiggle by the upper outside screw hole, up and away from the outer gauge on both sides just for balance. If you've ever noticed the fluff "baroque" decoration on old old posters they are usually top heavy, not evenly all around, it's more interesting to the eye. I think that you are doing great, I think your other stuff is cool too. If you aren't "skooled" in art, color and design you could pick up a library book and refresh on the basics, color harmony, etc. Not really necessary but could give you some ideas. Look at books on decoration, not just running lines, and then adapt the flow to your lines. I'm sorry, didn't mean to go on, I'm trying to encourage, just don't be hard on yourself.

23. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

I had talked to Jake Hudson(here in Vegas) here a few years ago. He told me something interesting, try striping on a piece of or an old mirror. He said it would give you an idea how hard your pressing down by basicly looking at it from the bottom. I thought that was pretty cool. And when you get done, take a razor blade and some water scrape it off again and start over.

Michael

24. makgreens

makgreens

yeah i used to be an art student and loved architecture
    i might get my old books out and flip through em instead of all my parts books from work haha

25. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

A few spots open (Central Valley) Saturday August 14th :cool:

Long time Central Valley Pinstriper Ruben Holguin, whose work has recently been featured in Pinstripe Planet II, a book that features pinstriper’s from around the world. Ruben will be sharing tips and tricks for beginners and novice stripers in a one day workshop This workshop is geared for anyone interested in learning the art of freehand pinstriping. This one day “hands-on” workshop that will take place on Saturday August 14th 2010

You will learn: Pinstriping history, brush use and care, paints, thinners, wax removers, reference materials, lay-out, beginner practice steps with individual instruction, and hands-on brush work

Class will begin at 9:00 am. and run until 4:00 pm.The cost for the class is $250.00 per person and includes all supplies and materials needed that day.
    The class will take place at Zarounian Motorsports Studio 1643 E Main St in Visalia, CA. If you have questions, please call Jim (559) 280-1321 or (559) 741-1608 or email [email protected]

Class size is limited to 20 students so reserve your spot today by sending a deposit of $50 which will be applied to your registration fee and lunch is provided. Pinstriping Kit (Pinstriped Toolbox) with Mack Brushes and 1 shot paints will be part of a free raffle at the end of the day!
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

26. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Yes we have a few spots open for the Pinstriping Workshop!

Attached Files:

27. makgreens

makgreens

ha if i didnt live in TN id go ha
    right now im trying to sand down an old toolbox to hold all my stuff:D

28. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

You'd learn more there in a day than you will on this thread in a year . Invest in a plane ticket and do yourself a favor .

29. The 4oz cans are expensive, the 8oz is a better value.

If your brushes are falling apart, you are doing something wrong.

30. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

^ Some people don't have the money to "invest" in a plane ticket and hotel rooms and shit when it is just a hobby. My advice would be check out the pinstriping groups on here and some of the striping websites, and practice. I started a while back but haven't been able to do allot.