Register now to get rid of these ads!

The making of a cylinder head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by George Miller, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bikersteve

bikersteve

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZuXxy8cjZQA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZuXxy8cjZQA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. careyohio

careyohio

I'm with Littleman !!! Lets see it !!!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For sure on both counts. This sounds interesting. This why build it when you can throw money at it concept gets tiresome after a while and it's refreshing to see a guy who will attempt to design and build something like this on his own.

4. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Tell me you are going to make it on a Bridgeport and not a CNC. JC

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't care if he does it with a drill press he bought at Harbor Freight. I'm just interested to see the process.

I'm sure all will be revealed as you progress, but curious to know if you plan to make the rocker assemblies too or will they be robbed from an existing platform? But you know, if you repurpose something else be sure it isn't from a non-traditional engine, haha. Some of you guys are too much.

Get your pencils and notebooks out everybody, this guy is a badass.

6. NoSurf

NoSurf

I am very interested.

7. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Yes it is a Bridgeport. I got it for scrap price years ago where I worked. It was a NC moog in its first life. I converted it back to a Bridgeport.

Its all setup to do the valve guide holes and then mill the combustion chambers in the morning.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      278.6 KB
      Views:
  8. el shad

el shad

I can't see the head you made............ Log off and go get laid.

I absolutely have to see THIS! I can't wait.

9. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

This is the kind of thread that makes me feel like a retard. I'm struggling because I have to make linkage for my 2x2's on my flathead. This cat has to show up and make an entire cylinder head, and probably faster than I can make my linkage. :mad:

I'm seriously impressed. Can't wait to see this....

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm waiting.....And really waiting to see coolant passages are made on a piece of soild metal.............

11. Stache

Stache

Please do show us. This is the kind of stuff that keeps it alive. I truely believe we can learn from everyone we meet. Take us back to school. I would love to just clean up the scraps around your shop just to watch the process. Carry on my friend. I'll get the broom. Thanks Stache

12. el shad

el shad

My panties are soaked and I'm short of breath! Let's see this!

13. MODELA30

MODELA30

i dont think there is coolant passages on a ford flathead banger or v-8 flathead for that matter? Wow that actually did rhyme!!!!! Knuck from indiana.

14. crash11049

crash11049

If we were closer I would offer to push a broom around your shop for free, just to watch you work. yes please show more!

15. Wow, good on you for Doing it - this is stuff that most of us only dream about.

More please

16. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

I'm sure all will be revealed as you progress, but curious to know if you plan to make the rocker assemblies too or will they be robbed from an existing platform? But you know, if you repurpose something else be sure it isn't from a non-traditional engine, haha. Some of you guys are too much.

No I'm not going to make the rocker assemblies. Going to use roller rockers for a 350 Chev. Maybe not at first, but that is what it will be setup for. Also going to use the valves from a HP chev. I guess I'm a Chev man.

17. How you actually looked at the heads
    that are available for a Ford flathead 4 cyl ?

Now look at the price for a OHV conversion head.
    If you can find one.

18. Here's the 4-port 'F' head made down the road from me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. You are thinking of Briggs and Stratton.
    Or Lawnboy.

20. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

more please more

21. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

How you actually looked at the heads
    that are available for a Ford flathead 4 cyl ?

Now look at the price for a OHV conversion head.
    If you can find one.
    I have looked at a few, As you can see I like to do it my way. I have used Brumfield 7-1 head and Snyders 5-5 flat heads. They are good but this is a hill climb car it needs lots of power. It will be replacing my 455 olds head Model A engine.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  22. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here's the 4-port 'F' head made down the road from me.

That looks to be made on a cnc. That is about the way mine will be, but not a F head.

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

Very cool...

Thank you for posting this on the HAMB.

Please keep us updated...

24. Keep us posted, I would also like to know more about your 455 head!

My pal Dean plays with this stuff, makes his own cranks,cams,rods for his bangers so nothing surprises me. Nice project George!

25. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I'm glad to hear your using a Bridgeport. I've been racing for over 30 years and I think every car or bike I have been involved with had some kind of one off part that I made on my Bridgeport bolted on it.
    I love when a guy tells me, " You can't make that on a Bridgeport, you need a CNC to make that". I ask him, Where do you think every thing came from before the CNC????
    There is nothing like visualizing your idea, drawing it up and then making that first cut on a block of 7075T6511.
    Lets see some pics of chips! JC

26. thirty2

thirty2

Do you have any drawings for the (very ambitious (we salute you)) project? You say push rods so it's at least an F head, or will it be an L head? Since it's billet how are you going to do cooling? Are you going to use a shaft mount for the rockers? I'll stop now but have about 20 more questions...

27. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

My hats off to you. In my past life someone said to me[ you didn't build that]. They said some well known chassis shop did, Me and my buddy just laughed. You have some serious skills. Good luck and show us the progress.

28. thirty2

thirty2

Whooppsss. Many of my questions are answered above. I missed the earlier posts for some reason. Did you consider casting instead of the billet approach? You still need a good mill, but some things *might* be simpler...

29. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

You seem remarkably level headed for a crazy person.

+1 on the interested, subscribed.

30. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Add me to the list of folks who want to see how you do this. This is what real rodding is about. Even if the results aren't what you hope, you have my respect for investing the effort to find out.