Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indicator lamp gauges and panels-New Product input

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marks914, Aug 1, 2010.

1. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Hi Guys,

We did these for some pro-touring guys, but very adaptable to a more nostalgic look with our chrome bezels, domes lenses, color, graphics etc. One of my big pet peeves is someone having a really nice dash, only to stick some Radio Shack LEDs in there for turn signals/warning lamps. so we keep on working for solutions to this pronblem.

We have had our traditional warning panels out for some time now, overall pretty successful product. We have had quite a few requests for something a bit more compact, so we kept on working to come up with something.
    What we did was package 4 warning lamps into a traditional 2-1/16" gauge. Fits in standard size holes, and wires up with 5 connections.
    as always, fully customizable.
    What is really cool is that they look completely blank when off. The indicators really complete a dash installation with professional, clean results.
    We can do any color dial, any graphics and any light color. We can match what you have or do something completely different.
    This is the standard version:
    [​IMG]
    here is what they look like off:
    [​IMG]
    Here are some custom versions we are producting for another company, Allwired.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really thought Jason at Allwired had a good idea for this N2O setup:
    [​IMG]

For those of you who need another solution, our indicator panels are a great way to go as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mark

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats really cool and with the face available in different colors it could really make a simple job out of a headscratcher...

3. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Cool product, for the proper application (street rods?). I hate seeing these digital things in traditional rods though.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Sorry but I think you have the wrong forum. Those things make me cringe. Don't take it personally. You wouldn't like what I like either.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It's just lights shining thru cut outs.
    Divide the gauge case into 4 sections and add 4 bulbs.

I fully agree on the digital stuff, LED's and the like, but anyone in the 50's could have done this with a gauge module...may have actually...and besides, I like to see fresh ideas using basic technology.

Looking at the thread on Magazine articles and pics has made me realize that we've become so absorbed in doing stuff by "the book of accepted practice" that we completely miss the idea that fueled the whole Hot Rod/Custom movement.
    Self expression.

(Have to add...
    Antny...please understand that this isn't a smack at you at all. I know where your coming from and agree with you in essense.

I just say what I did because this is a thread that kinda defines the rules we've forced ourselfs to live by. The 50's had no rules when it came to cars...but now we're ruled by our interpretation of the history we try to copy.
    Kinda complicated if you think about it...)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  6. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

outta place in a traditional build... just my 2 cents worth. nice product just the same. if i were retro-fitting round gauges into a musclecar dash, they'd be perfect but in my T dash..... i'll stick with simple lights for signals and hibeams.

7. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Maybe you guys are missing the point, I know that what is shown above looks more modern, its the concept that I want you guys to think about.
    Heres a proof of an indicator we are building for a customer, it matches some gauges he already has.
    The point is that something that makes for a clean install can also have period looks. Just wanted to throw the concept out there...
    [​IMG]
    Mark

8. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

not missin the point at all. you asked for opinions.... you're gettin em!

9. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

No offense, but I don't think we missed the point so much as you were trying to make the wrong point. That being said, I kinda dig the ones above. They've got a nice Art Deco font & if they look like the left image when they're off, I think they would look good in a 30's or 40's taildragger. IMHO

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

The last set (tan with words) is really cool. I'd run that in my T.

11. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...thats what I mean. with the right font and/or icons it could fit well in a 50's or 60's Custom/Hot Rod.
    You could even use it in a chrome gauge cup and add it to the column or wherever.

It's not the actual pictures he posted you need to focus on...its the IDEA he has.

Use a Tach cup and make the lights look like individual buttons from the front...almost like a push button auto style or whatever.
    This has a world of possibilities...

12. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

OK,
    Now we're getting somewhere,
    The idea is that you can have a standard size gauge can with 4 lamps in it (they are old school incandescent) from there, you can make it look like anything you want. (match your current dash, etc)
    From there, you can monitor the functions you want and still keep the appearance you want. Its not new technology, just a new way to put it all together.

Whatever you do, PLEASE no more Radio Shack LEDs in the dash, I can't take it anymore!
    Mark

13. crash11049

crash11049

sorry they are far from traditional, they look like they belong in a new car.

14. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

ok, now i get it. you want opinions ... as long as they re-inforce your point... my mistake. :)

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

can you package 4 into a 1" unit?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

16. sugarlou

sugarlou

Even the "classic" one looks wrong...just me.

17. i was wondering the same thing...

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There is a market for what your doing and its real cool. Just not what I would be looking for. All the masses here are saying is we are doing it the old way, just use some type of lamp to show us whats up.

19. crash11049

crash11049

If your building a traditional rod then you build it the way it was done. our interpretation of the way things were done is called history, and that can not be changed.
    Your 100% right the 50's had no rules, but they were not building traditional cars at the time.
    Not so complicated if you think about it.
    If you dont like the "rules" you build a street rod and in 60 years it will be called a 2010 traditional street rod. If in 2070 it is recreated there will be another set of rules to copy.

20. GTS225

GTS225

Hmmmmm.........If you were to use the bezel & face in post #7, but replace the text with jeweled lenses, and add text corresponding to the lens's function that was lit by white back-lighting, that might "date" it to something a bit more appropriate for this crowd. (You could even use the dreaded LED's in back of the jeweled lenses.)

The concept of those four functions in one easily installed package is pretty good, but the appearance of the two you've shown us is still a touch too modern for something dated pre-'65.

Good try, though......do keep at it.

Roger

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hahahahaha...so your saying that we are as bound to a certain build style with clear and obvious lines drawn...yet say that the 50's had NO RULES on which to base them.
    Hmmmm....

Soooo...what rules are we following again??? yours?

The only "RULES" in an absolute traditional build of a Custom in particular, are that you can't use something only available beyond the build era. EG: Carbon fiber, LED's...or radial tires.

To say anything else is to insult the imaginations and abilities of our forefathers.

You think they were stupid or something? you think they couldn't come up with this silly little light pod???
    Seriously?

You have nowhere near the imagination they had.

I'm not looking at this and drooling over what has been pictured either.
    Some of the examples are totally horrible as far as a traditional car goes...

I just see the potential.

I'm simply saying that, with attention to the period details, it has the potential to be used in a 50's style show rod or even a street driven Hot Rod of that era because it uses nothing exotic or unavailable for that time period.

It's just a segmented cup with a bulb in each segment and some sort of lens/icon. You can use it in any style and have any lens you want to make.

You completely underestimate the abilities and imaginations of the builders you claim to emulate.

The modern cars of the day were based on Jet aircraft styling...wings...tail lights like flaming exhaust cones...dash clusters like a fighter aircraft or a pod right out of the Jetsons.

The custom guys from the 50's would have been all over this and I'm sure its already been done.
    BUT...because YOU didn't read it last week in "Rat Rod Monthly" it couldn't have happened.

Seriously...tell us what IS Traditional?
    Keep in mind that your talking about what was, even back then, an individual abstract art form...

22. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I dig it. I wouldn't use it in my traditional custom or hot rod, but maybe in something more modern.

23. 6inarow

6inarow

I'm liking them too - I think the ones in post 7 arent too "street-roddish". Hey we use lots of stuff today that wasnt available in the 50's on our 50's styled traditional rods. I might be in the minority, but I'm Ok with some of these

24. fitzee

fitzee

can`t get more traditional then this!!

Attached Files:

25. crash11049

crash11049

Yes it was a individual abstract art form, that was done with what they had at the time.
    So since Henry Ford used steel to build model T's, you could take the same steel, shape it into a Mustang and still call it a Traditional Model T?
    Sorry but your view of traditional is bull #^*@

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  26. switchkid0

switchkid0

I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't carry a "Traditional Police" badge for that reason.

I think these would be great for an O/T Cluster I've been wanting to do.

Will they be on the website soon?

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

And you have a list of everything allowed for traditional builds...
    If you didn't see it written somewhere, then it didn't happen.
    No assumptions can be made...no modifications performed without due research and absolute proof that someone else did it first.

Well at least we know who to contact when theres any confusion.

I'll stick to believing the time was so amazing that if it was possible to do it with available parts...then someone most likely did.
    I try to allow a little leeway when it comes to the little things like dash lights.
    I guess I'm just not "getting it" like you do, huh?

Your version of Traditional is way too uptight for me...unless you have a build that absolutely proves your conviction of course.
    Then I'll pat you on the back and admit you really do get it and I'm outta line.

What are you building anyway...???
    Care to share it with the unwashed masses?

Fitzee...posting those signs was as funny as you can get! ;)