Register now to get rid of these ads!

Volvos that look like a 46 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Jul 30, 2010.

1. edweird

edweird

Any one got pics. Just curious.

2. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

mjmjmjmjmjmjmm 004.jpg

most likely not the one your looking for but its a volvo

3. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Google is your friend, model 544.

4. The ones you're thinking of are PV444's and PV544's

5. havi

havi

Interesting! That 544 fabbed to look like a scaled down '46 Ford would be a hot ticket for daily driver use. The wheels in my head are turning.

6. InPrimer

InPrimer

Carnut, Index of pix, Volvo, 1955 Looks like a 40 Ford 2 dr Sedan

7. It basically is. A popular story back in the mid-'50s was that Volvo engineers actually dismantled a '46 Ford Super Deluxe, and essentially copied it in 2/3 scale. The resemblance between the two is more than coincidental, IMO. Even if that tale is nothing more than automotive folklore, it certainly sounds plausible.

My fourth grade teacher had a white PV544, that was a really cool little car!

There was a HAMBer in Wichita, KS advertising a red PV444 for quite a while. I have no idea if it's still FS or not. Could search the Classifieds to see if it's still there. Hell, I'd probably have bought it, if I'd not had so many projects at that time!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. Damn I always thought they looked like 47 fords

Attached Files:

9. the first time i saw one in from a distance in about 1971 i thought it was a `46 Ford

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

My folks had a Volvo 544 a 1960 I started a thread here a couple of years back asking about foreign hot rods because of that car but it ended up being American Iron built overseas.Many years ago I saw a 544 done with all the 50s US tricks like pancaked hood etc. made it look even more like a 47 Ford custom.I'd still like to build one as a daily driver 50s looking custom but update to much more modern power.

11. Doctor G
    he might have more info

Attached Files:

12. Here's a bit of history on the PV Series Volvo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_PV444

A friend of mine in Sweden rodded a sedan delivery version of the PV Duett (stocker below) and drove it across the USA to the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals West in 1980 and back to NYC before shipping it back home. He's still got the car in his garage.

[​IMG]

13. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

A friend of mine's brother had one when I was in collage. The 16-1800cc engine can be built up to over 140 hp+ I think. I've seen them race mostly back in the day, but some recent vintage stuff and they can be made to haul ass. I imagined what you might do by putting a V-8 60 or a stroked aluminum "Baby Nailhead" in one, but I thought they weren't h.a.m.b. friendly since they are foreign even tho the years are right. The Swedes liked our cars, because the European makes couldn't hold up to the severe Northern weather. As you know there is a fair amount of older American iron over there. They used to get unassembled Dodges , DeSotos etc., and assemble them there. The Fords were shipped assembled I think. My son wanted a '70 140 back about '90, and it still had the same little banger engine in it. Iron block and heads, Twin side draft SU's, and built like a tank. We had some fun with it.

14. Here's one I'm building - '40 Ford rear window.

Attached Files:

15. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Looks like widened fenders too, what are you thinking for an engine. What year? Does it have a banjo steering wheel that looks like an old one out of a Ford?

16. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Her's one customized

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a A-tractor (EPA traktor)

From the beging it was a delivery from 66 body is from a PV 544 with PV 444ES(1953) front window and rear windows The body is 4" wider in the rear that was from the beging and it is made to a buissnes coupe. The roof is chopped 3"

/Stefan

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

A rich kid who was a classmate in my high school had one. About 1959. He had me paint scallops on it and I did it my my parents driveway with spraycans.

18. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Was it Robin Williams in the movie Garp who had a little ,,accident,, in one of them Volvos ,,,,,,

19. Snickern

Snickern
    from Norway

Here is mine, 68 mod (was pretty much like from mid 50's to the last year 68. this is lowered as much as possible, som mods in the engine.

Attached Files:

20. kustomriv

kustomriv

Are the gears turning ed ?

Tim

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I like the coupe version. I always thought a convertable version with traditional custom work (hammered Carson top, frenched lights, grille work, etc.) would be cool.

22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of hot rods built all over the world out of non US cars :)

23. belzebub

belzebub

Cool cars.

Attached Files:

24. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Just for grins.....if you really wanted
    to get people scratching their heads,
    you could put a V860 flathead in one
    and really have some fun! :D

Mart3406
    ============================

25. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I bought a motor from a guy that lives inBlackcanyon city AZ. and he was showing me his cars, and he had a 46 ford, but it looked smaller, He said it was a Volvo with widened fenders, at first glance, I was seeing ford

26. sololobo

sololobo

Saw a cool 144s? at Salina, they are in that familyof shapes also. Had a lot of folks wondering what they were viewing. Really dig all these great Volvos. ~Sololobo~

27. It's a '64. I swapped a small body Mopar 8-3/4 rear into it with the Volvo coil spring suspension. Widened the fenders 5-1/2" to cover 295-50-15's. The front has a Welder Series MII suspension. I've fit a T-56 6 speed to it and a 406 long rod SBC.

I'm going to use a Paddy Hopkirk leather wrapped billet wheel - let's see how many guys know who Paddy was - LOL.

Charlie

28. Hexadox

Hexadox

This isn't exactly on topic and not very hamb friendly but this thread made me remember this volvo apparently based off of a 1925 model considered to be the first one. I don't know much about the car but I think Volvo actually commissioned a swedish hotrod builder to build it for their museum and it's all modern volvo running gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. HAMBr Yo Baby's Volvo Gasser:

Yo Baby's soon to be Volvo Gasser 001.jpg Yo Baby's soon to be Volvo Gasser 002.jpg Yo Baby's soon to be Volvo Gasser 003.jpg Yo Baby's soon to be Volvo Gasser 004.jpg

Yo Baby's Volvo Gasser 001.jpg Yo Baby's Volvo Gasser 002.jpg Yo Baby's Volvo Gasser 003.jpg Yo Baby's Volvo Gasser 004.jpg

Yo Baby's Volvo Gasser Burnout.jpg Yo Baby's Volvo Gasser Launch.jpg

30. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------------------
    I think it's kinda' cool in it's own way....and well
    it may not be strictly "traditional", I don't think it's
    exactly 'HAMB-unfriendly' either. At least it's
    not some dreadful 'rat rod' POS or a "chrome
    plated, all billet-unobtanium' triple-zoot
    ",
    so-called "street rod" either! :) Further on the
    'up' side too, as long as there's still people at
    companies like Volvo who could appreciate something
    like this and then actually commission to have it built,
    - that means that there's still some real 'car guys' left
    there and that bodes well for Volvo and for the auto
    industry as whole. Too bad it was built to go into a
    museum, because I'll bet it would be a blast to drive.

Mart3406
    ================================

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010