Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My Ford 51 Top Chop From Argentina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Path Thirteen, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hi Friends, My name is Path, Im from Argentina
    Im Chopping my 51' Custom fordor, i cutted 5" in the front 9" 1/2 in the rear
    and the B pillar gonna be slanted, moved back, make front door larger (like a coupe) and and and.... i dont know when im gonna finish it, i only can work on the car the saturdays, but im doing it fast, i made the chop, tack and weld in 1 day !
    Hope you like it !

Heres when i bring it to my home
    [​IMG]
    The interior is complete, only missing a radio knob, and two of the knobs that are arround the clock, i dont know what goes there.
    [​IMG]
    The flathead
    [​IMG]
    Going to the shop ! There is my falcon and a friend o mine 62 borgward isabella
    [​IMG]
    the ass !
    [​IMG]
    The chop, we cutted the roof in halfs, haha i know its weird, hope it works
    [​IMG]
    Me inside the car
    [​IMG]
    thats me again happy or scarried ?
    [​IMG]
    9 1/2" in the back
    [​IMG]
    The rear glass, im not happy with the position, im gonna change it this saturday.
    [​IMG]
    The engine is running ! it seems to be all original.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/toxwwili5Vg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/toxwwili5Vg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is my first top chop ever, my first big work on a project like this, i built the falcon two years ago, but this is something diferent and crazy, advices, help and everything you can tell me, is SO WELCOME !
    Thank you folks !

2. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Looks like the rear window is located too high. Check other threads for chops, 4doors are hard to get right, 9" might be too much out back.

3. Ya dude that's quite a bit wacked out of the back, but you have more luck in pulling it off if you drop that back window down and fill the large gap UP TOP and the small gap BELOW as opposed to the other way around like you have it now. The back window will basically be useless, but it'll look a lot better.

4. Hi Smokin'! i know, tomorrow in gonna put the rear glass in the same original position but laided down. it looks horrible in that place :)

5. You are right, im changing that tomorrow, the rear window is there just to chech the flow of the roof.

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

You're a pretty brave guy to cut that car apart without any bracing welded in to keep things in place. Those cars "move" around a lot when they get cut. Watch your gaps and door fit real close.

It's going to look killer. Stu

7. hahaha ! i know... its crazy, but in gonna put it in an axonometric box to take all measures and alignment, so i dont care much if it moves a little bit, but its incredible that the doors still in the same place and nothing has moved without bracings. Anyways my uncle is helping me with this, he restores old cars, specially Ford mode A and T.

thank you for your advices and i hope it look cool !

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Good and bold start. Keep at it!

9. Thank you !! :D:D

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

EXCELLENT! keep going and checking in with the guys here. They know their stuff!

11. pauls fords

pauls fords

Narrow your bumpers 2 inches and turn them upside down, makes the car look shorter and sleeker.

12. Yeah, i was thinking in the narrow bumpers, but i didnt tought about turning upside down !! im gonna try that ! thank you !

13. Thank you !! lets see how i do this haha !!

14. I like it in it's "brought home" stock form shown in the first pic at the top!

15. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I want see your shoebox ready, so keep on.

16. haha yeah me too, i want to drive it NOW! Thanks

17. HI, i like the stock shoebox, but i really like a chopped one ! thanks!

18. Hi boys ! here i am with a little update of what we did with my uncle this saturday, Hope you like it ! enjoy !

Why we didnt do any bracing ? just becouse if you a twisted body, of bad chasis mounts, of the car has had a wreck, you gonna keep it twisted.
    So, we use an axonometric box to do all the measures and levels, this levels are made with a water level (a transparent hose with water, like the construction levels, and wires) this let you see if the car is in straight or not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rear window is now in place
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More cuts on the roof, here you can see the wires
    [​IMG]
    Lifted the back part of the rear window to fit the original frame
    [​IMG]
    A view of the cuts
    [​IMG]
    Metalwork Time !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Welding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The other side roof section and the top of the rear window
    [​IMG]
    Fordor parts to scrap!
    [​IMG]
    one more view of the back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is one part of the shop, all dead bodies haha !
    [​IMG]

Advices and help is welcome !

It whould be cool if you tell me what do you think about this proyect, thank you !

19. Sebastian.A.G

Sebastian.A.G
    from argentina

Looks like meen!, como andas, muy buen trabajo, good work, por fin se empiezan a ver estos laburos en argentina

saludos

20. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

crazy stuff i have never seen a chop tackeld that way inside this box thing,amazing.well done.

21. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Seems like everyone who's not from the US is always so happy... just an observation.

Cool stuff, my brother has a Shoebox that was cut down the middle like that.

22. Hola ! si por fin se estan haciendo cosas como en usa ! :D

23. smarg

smarg

This is the shoe he is talking about......

[​IMG]

24. Im happy becouse here is hard to make things like this, i cant sleep at night thinking about that car, here is so hard to get parts, cars, accesories, is like an impossible mission, i think that share something like this is a reason to be happy !

Thank you, if you cut the roof in the middle is better for the side glass alignment, and the car will look more wider !

thank you !

25. Thank you ! hahaha i think we gonna call this way " the argentininan way" hahahahaha

thank you so much !

26. RAY With

RAY With

Live and learn-First time I ever saw a car in a box but its working out for you. Good luck on your finish out.

27. Good looking 49 !

28. I learned a lot of the american ways of doing things

so i feel i have to share the ways that only a few, old school people uses here, if you put a "straight, good car" you will notice many many surprises

Thank you !

29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

A very unique approach to chopping a top with cutting in the middle like that- I hope you guys in Argentina aren't afraid of a little hammer welding! take it slow when you weld everything up or you'll have more waves than the pacific ocean- I learned the hard way on my hood! Check out my link in my signature to see another shoebox chop!

30. smarg

smarg

The picture Kinda sucks, But its the same idea on the chop.....

[​IMG]