Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valve cover opinon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colorado51, Jul 28, 2010.

1. colorado51

colorado51

I picked up these 2-piece valve covers a few years ago at a local swap. There is no brand name on them, but I thought they were kind of cool. So, they have been “garage art” for the last few years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for the hell of it I made up a new top out of acrylic to see what it would look like on the car. I am trying to keep the car/engine looking somewhat “period correct” to early to mid 60’s gasser, so I am not sure if these covers will fit in, but I thought I’d see what you guys think.

I have been running a pair of M/T with old breathers:
    [​IMG]

And, the new cover with acrylic top:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, what do you guys think?

2. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I like it. But how clean will they stay?And you may go through gaskets for the upper top quick?

3. greensheads

greensheads

I think it looks cool, but I wonder if it will crack around the breather?

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I also really like the look . I am sure those big breathers will be a problem down the road when the engine vibrates . I think I see that causing a crack down the road , maybe .
    How thick is the acrylic glass ?

Retro Jim

5. deto

deto

tint the windows the color of the acrylic to match...

6. GA REDNECK

GA REDNECK
    from Dearing GA

prob. not something you would have seen back in the day however it looks very cool!!!

7. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

If you can get them where they don't crack... I'd start making them or patent that idea. I'm sure there are people who would buy those...

8. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

That looks too badass not to try! Plain and simple.

9. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

that IS kinda cool. and x2 on the patent/copywrite thing. somebody's gonna sell those. might as well be you right?

10. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

11. Diavolo

Diavolo

Acrylic looks nice, but it will break down with exposure to heat and chemicals. Get some polycarbonate for the future, but it does look pretty freakin awesome.

12. I seem to remember seeing an add for valve covers with like that with clear tops back in the early ninties. I think spectra made them. If the acrylic top gives you problems, try polycarbonate, aka lexan. The oil shouldnt have any affect on it, and it wont crack from the vibrations.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Not sure how they will perform, only time will tell. They look great though!

14. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

actually they did have them, as well as clear valve covers, its been discussed on here before.

15. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Cool look hope they stand up to some abuse.

16. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I had a friend with a '67 Camaro that had clear top valve covers, they were like those, but had more fasteners for the top clear piece. They looked very cool and never had any leaks or cracks. They were obviously on the motor for a very long time before he got the car, since he pulled it out of an old mans garage in the early 90's, and the last registration sticker was from '77. The car was a time capsule with 70's parts and old catalogs and receipts for other parts.

17. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

I think they look cool . I like the old M/Ts too .

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Way too billetey for my tastes. Sorry but you did ask. Your thread title is "Valve cover opinion"

19. 5window

5window

I vote with Tommy. I'd stick with the M/T's. The clear might be fine on a show car-but it won't stay clean and it looks "affected" to me. JMTC. but you did ask.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's not a new idea, used to be able to buy them in the 80's and into the early 90's.

I was thinking streetroddy. but yeah.

21. colorado51

colorado51

Thanks guys!

To answer a few questions:

It is cast acrylic, .236 thick. It is oil & solvent resistant and good to +230 degrees. It is kind of brittle though.

I like the amber color, and its cool seeing the rockers, but i'm not sure about the look though, at least on a car like this. That is why I only made one so far.....

22. zzford

zzford

They would look good if you could mount them on a "fool your friends" fake hemi valve cover.

23. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

I like it go for it, we did what ever we wanted, to cars back then. Some one could have done it.

24. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I think it looks fine on a gasser style car...model A...not so much.

25. If they are on the Nova in your Avatar, then they are probably OK. But if it's an older car and you are really trying to stay Gasser era correct - they are way too new styling wise. I remember seeing them in the 80's for sale new as well - thought they were "Gimicky" then too.

26. Muttley

Muttley

HAHAHA................my neighbor has some of those on his Model A and yes, they do indeed look like crap, but then again so does the rest of his car. Sorry, I dont like them at all.

27. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I prefer the old M/Ts you had on there...they looked "right" to me. I have never been a fan of the 2 piece covers, though the clear top is better than the old billet ones.

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Kinda Cool looking.
    But being an old man, I like the M/T's better.
    Your car, your choice....enjoy!!

29. Jax2A

Jax2A

If they were just clear, I'd say no. But that amber color is pretty far out, I like it.

30. Labold

Labold

I like'em.

I like the idea of tinting your windows to match too.