Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kkoa ,hall of fame, who got in this year ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by finkd, Jul 27, 2010.

1. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I missed the tonight show, but who got in and who were the nominee's? I wish they would post this info somewhere, likemaybe the kkoa website. I was too busy enjoyin the show and friends and didn't hear the news. thanks to everyone who posted pics, its nice to see what I missed..............thanks . jeff F.B.B.F

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Did you really miss anything at the tonite show Jeff...???

R-

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rumor I heard, a cat named Jeff Meyers got in to Hall of Fame.

Good question Jeff, I'd like to know..

4. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

The rumor I heard, a cat named Jeff Meyers got in to Hall of Fame...... hahah funny..SORRY MICK, I don't think it will ever happen, and no i prolly didn't miss anything at the tonight show roger, It just didn't work out that we made it to this starpacked stellar event this year. we had alot of friends in town and just couldn't work it all into the plans. I guess only the shadows knows who got in , huh?

5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only way ya won't get into the Fame thing is if KKOA is no longer around. We were
    in the club next door when they got out and I was having too good of a time to think
    about asking who got in.... I guess that I'm getting old.

I guess no one knows....

Happy Trails, Mick

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

NOT true Mick...Titus knows...the guy(s) that got in know...you, I and Jeff are kept in the dark until the "next" :rolleyes::rolleyes: magazine comes out...(and maybe even not then if there's no coverage of the event)

R-

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Lol :D

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL!!! That is what I like about ya, you just tell it like it is... Ha, ha, ha,

9. McPhail

McPhail

I think the guy who put the fins on the dream truck and murphy and the striper got in..... I think you have to be old or dead to get in.....

10. wizzard23

wizzard23

Gary Gerberding said he DIDN"t make it this year. Personly, I think that's a shame.:(

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Lou Calisibetta from the old Stillwater garage in New Jersey also got in this year, his shop has turned out many amazing customs not to mention Lou owns 2 A brothers cars and is a great guy

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Good for Lou!!! He is a great guy and an amazing builder to boot. That shop sure does turn out some top motch stuff.

13. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

thanks guys, I have met lou, he is a nice guy and never met the other guy, And I think what dennis is sayin is mark is the youngest guy in. And no disrespect to the nomanees or inductees but alot of these guys did stuff back in the day . so I think it does kinda look like the younger or current builders aren't looked up too by the current hall of famers, which is sad because there are builders out there that have built more cars then alot of the famers. And I do understand its not about quantity, but hey there are alot of noteworthy builders that have made an impact, but are overlooked. And I also feel that building a car with your own styilng is more noteworthy than restoring an old build. although I do think it is very important to the kustom world to save these cars.

14. 48cad

48cad

I met Lou last year at the Maryland show, top shelf guy and deserving Hall of Fame builder !! Murphy and the Striper hard to argue that one.

" so I think it does kinda look like the younger or current builders aren't looked up too by the current hall of famers, which is sad because there are builders out there that have built more cars then alot of the famers."

Disagree. If you were at the "Jerry's Tonight Show" you would realize that the Hall of Famers each had a pick that was not part of the awards on Sunday, and the majority of them recognized the talents of the younger builders.

"looked up too" ????? I'm just thrilled I had the opportunity to talk to these legends.

We call cars "traditional". I guess thats another way of saying, were copying what someone already did years ago. Hell, when these guys were building them they were "innovation" not traditional.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I wasn't able to steal the Caddy, Everytime that I tried I vapor locked..LOL!!
    Noticing some of the younger builders may have happened last week but that is not
    the norm. I have to agree with Jeff.

McPhail was up for it for years, At one of the KKOA shows we were sitting around talking
    about who was going to get in. One of my older friends could not believe that Dennis was
    even mentioned for the Hall of fame. (Most of the Older guys agreed) Dennis even though
    not a builder (but through his art) has influenced a lot of younger guys into the Kustom
    and Hot Rod Hobby. Many years ago when I was getting dicouraged with KKOA and I ran
    into Jeff and Dennis. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't still be into kustoms today. I'd be
    stuck playing Golf or something worse...

My short list of Young guys that should be in the fame and not just considered.

Dennis McPhail
    Jeff Meyers
    Oz
    Keith Weesner
    VooDoo Larry

Give it some thought, just sit back and look how these guys have influenced growth with
    in our Hobby over the past years.

I'm thankful that these young guys are adding life to our hobby.

Happy Trails,

Mick

16. Plowboy

Plowboy

I was in there for a while, but I had to leave when "Cher" got up there again. ha ha ha

17. 48cad

48cad

Mick, I agree we have some great young talent in our hobby and I take nothing away from them. Some that you mentioned were nominated this year, but they only take 2 a year. Who do you leave out?? I'm sure one day OZ Welch and Voodoo Larry etc.. will make it. You just can't take em all.

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't blame ya, I don't like the real Cher......LOL!!

All good points., Some I've said before.

19. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

" QUAOTE 'McPhail was up for it for years, At one of the KKOA shows we were sitting around talking
    about who was going to get in. One of my older friends could not believe that Dennis was
    even mentioned for the Hall of fame. (Most of the Older guys agreed) Dennis even though
    not a builder (but through his art) has influenced a lot of younger guys into the Kustom
    and Hot Rod Hobby. Many years ago when I was getting dicouraged with KKOA and I ran
    into Jeff and Dennis. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't still be into kustoms today." THAT is what I'm talking about,mickey there are soo many hall of famers that don't give credit, or even have some people on their radar. When I met dennis at a starbird show in about 91 he was drawin the first poster with the 59 airmobile on it, and before him was ??? not many, i really acredit dennis for getting alot of the young guys fired up and kept them in this organization. I know alot that have moved on left behind the cars, kkoa, and kustoms. things change life goes on. but Ifeel like mickey does, and I don't feel that alot of these guys give credit where credit is due. there are guys coming onto the scene that seem to come from nowhere and build aname fast, and eeryone is like wow look at that guy, but where did he come from? where was he in the early 90's? why did he get pushed to the top. I grew up in kustom city <I eat sleep (a couple hrs a night ) ,dream and love kustoms. I like to think I know every noteworthy car and person out there.

20. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

lets NOT forget. marcos garcia, john aiello, david guymon,brad masterson, just to name a few of the guys who dominate the magizines and build car after car, with class, not some goofy look at me creation with bells whistles and painting or names all over the decklids. I'm talking classic styling fresh ideas, be it very mild kustoms or radical. I wonder why these guys don't bother to show up at thses shows? because they haven't earned the respect of the older guys and haven't been made to feel welcome or wanted in the kustom world. ever seen the shirt powered by spite ???

21. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

Dennis anymore of those NOS skirts laying around Kansas? Snakeoyl Joe

22. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I don't think I have been in a garage yet that doesn't have a mcphail poster on the wall,and I can't really think of an artist before him that gave the kustom world so many posters to hang .

23. studhud

studhud

Readin This you all forgot Alex Gambino on the list
    Alex for El Presidente!!!!
    Dave Hitch

24. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I agree, Gary is another overlooked amazing custom builder.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry Dennis... Sorry Jeff... You are both too young for any hall of fame... Hell, you fellas are in your primes. They didn't put Walter Payton in the HOF when he was winning a super bowl - did they?

Get old. Get all wrinkled up. Get senile. Then, you'll get in the HOF.

26. 00 MACK

00 MACK

While were at it, who the fuck was in it already? Does anyone even know? Lets see the list.... Take Gary Gerberding for example. As awesome as he is, I bet there arent 10 Hambers that could name 4 cars he built. The countrys loaded with dudes like that. I might just have to write a book on them but I cant write. Hall of Fame means Hall of Fuckin Fame. McPhail would be famous if there was no Hall of Fame. Anytime I heard the term, I just assumed it was a bunch of old guys giving one another awards that no one really gives a shit about. How much credibility does the Hall of Fame have when 90 percent of the younger people into customs dont understand the importance of the KKOA? Im 36 but I go back to a time when you'd buckle at the knees if you saw a nosed and decked 4 door 53 Ford cause no one was into kustoms. The KKOA changed that.

27. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, now your talkin in tongue! why did you turn this to bowling, which I never got into by the way . !!

28. McPhail

McPhail

I would never be a member of a hall of fame that would have someone like me as a member...........get off the computer and build......... everything that is cool today was made possible by me......

29. studhud

studhud

Mann The shit is gettin thick in here !!!!
    Dave Hitch
    PS Mc Phail Sucks

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

00, you supply me with all the info and we'll write it together... list you on the cover as well...

R-