Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I started building a '38 Lasalle, with a blown Cadillac flathead. Somewhere along the line, I became consumed with the engine. You can see that build here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430439

After setting a build goal of a hard to reach 500 hp, I asked myself what I really wanted to do with the mill. I've waffled for the better part of a year now, and decided that the salt was where I wanted to go.
    Soooo, here we are. I don't want to 'undo' the body mods that fink'd did to the Lasalle, so a '38 chevy coupe is the lucky recipient of the flatcad.

And since I'm new to LSR events, any advice is welcomed and appreciated! We will be running in the XXO/BVGC class, on a 151.208 mph record set by Mike Hegarty in 2004.

Attached Files:

• MILL.JPG
      MILL.JPG
      File size:
      144.6 KB
      Views:
    • MILL1.JPG
      MILL1.JPG
      File size:
      144.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Meeting all the safety requirements are almost harder than building/coming up with the motor. Your chassis has to keep you safe and the car going straight at high speeds so its no place to skimp. Get the motor to be "good enough" and then dile in your chassis. THEN when you have the bugs out of the chassis go balls out on the motor. IMHO

3. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

This is what i `ve heard ,too
    Kinda takes the fun out of it....
    But if i would live in the USA i would have a Bonneville Race car for sure !!!
    I´ve only been to El Mirage but i love it!!!
    Go for it!

4. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Gas class requires headlights,taillights,grill,door handles trunhandle,trim,raingutters.bumpers etc

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Actually moderiat customizing is allowed. The rain gutters are a must have. Hinges not so much.

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Rich, I've alread done to much to the Lasalle to make class, and I don't want to undo it, and put the build that much more behind.

I picked up a GM 7.5", a Watts link, and a 4-link, so the first order of business is getting that under the '41. I'll post progress pics.

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, Does this mean the LaSalle will get a different mill ? How about a vintage Cad Eldorado dual quad mill for it ? Just a thought . . . . .

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Dave, to do this right, it's going to cost me a little cash.

So, the Lasalle, along with some of the custom parts, will be sold.

Also, I replaced the 41 Chevy with a 38 Chevy coupe, and I'll be posting pics soon!

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

WHAT? The whole LaSalle thing is down the tubes now? And your selling your pretty heads? MyMy.

10. went by the machine shop this afternoon with the Hemi block, The second FlatCad block was bare sitting on the floor, getting ready to head to the tank. Nolan looked like he had been "cuddling" with it all day!!

crossing my fingers that it's all good!

I forgot to ask-- what did Angelo say about flowing it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Angelo is going to flow it, and call me with initial (stock), and max flow numbers.:D

12. awesome!! I wondered if he expressed any surprise at the size of the block, or if he had any issues about hooking the thing up to the bench.

so he's going to do some work on one cyl to see about improvements?

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Seen on the salt yesterday

Attached Files:

14. BAD ASS!!!! EXACTLY what we need to know!!!

15. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

The car has run 139+ at Maxton

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Results show it running twice on Monday. A rookie pass and a 141.075

17. plan9

plan9

we arent a bucks up operation but we do have some neat parts like yourself. we set a goal of 2010 Bonneville come hell or high water and we made it. the motor in it now is probably good for 120 (got to 114 mph), perhaps a bit more if we really dial it in.... a real healthy hot rod motor for sure, perfect for shake down runs. no flow testing, no overdone scientific BS right now.

my opinion.... dont worry about records..... focus all efforts on getting the car to meet SCTA safety, start on that NOW. think about where everything is going to go... gauges, fire bottles, switches etc.. figure out what the minimum safety regulations are for the current record and build for more power... never hurts to over do the roll cage. perhaps get a hold of the safety inspector for your class and ask what to do about questions along the way.

i wouldnt throw big bucks at an engine right now especially since it will be your first meet... K.I.S.S., point is to get out there and run a car.
    do build as nice a hotrod motor as you can.. you, me and any other racer knows that this is pretty much a lifetime commitment.... whats the rush?

you will need to register for 2011 speedweek ahead of time... do it right before the meet and you will be charged $600.00 vs $400.00.
    at the very least buy a helmet before starting the cage, distance between side of head to cage padding cannot be the width of your fist. we doubled up on cage padding to fix the problem, it tech'd fine.

there is a shit ton of stuff to think about for race day too... gear, tools, place to stay, gas money for your truck and race car (you need to buy event gas if you are going after a record). $50.00 for 5 gallons of 100 octane unleaded. think about head gaskets, a few sets of plugs and wires, running a magneto? running injection? ...you will need nozzles and pills for tuning... how about a quick change... you will need multiple sets of gears for maximum adjusting. race tires, rollers for race car transport, type of wheels etc... li$t goe$ on and on. $$$$$$$

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

A lifetime lifetime commitment? Naw, it's a one time deal for me-ask my wife, that's what I told her! LOL!

I think this is some very solid advice, and exactly the direction we are going. Many of the parts we are going to use in the engine are months out anyway. We are starting with the rear end, then front end, then chop and roll cage. From there, we will start fire system, electrical, etc. We want to get the best car we can, then worry about the best engine we have time for.

One of the tech guys mentioned he may be able to get us a 'pre-inspection' in the Denver area, and we're really hoping that works out.

As for the equipment we will need while there- I better get busy and start looking for deals!

19. choptvan

choptvan

getting excited after reading all of this. Hope all works out for you man.

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Well, I picked up the '38 coupe this week, and took it to wrenchbender ( thanks Jackson!). He's going to put a Chassisworks 4-link with a Watts link under it for me. We are going to have the GM 7.5" narrowed 4", so that it's tucked in tight.

I found some new fiberglass fenders for it, so we are on our way. We are going to concentrate on the body and chassis, while we wait for engine parts.

After the rear end and 4-link are in, it's off to choptvan in Colorado Springs for a haircut!

A special thanks to truckncoupe, for finding this car and lining it up for me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    chryslerfan55 and chop job like this.
  21. firingorder1

firingorder1

Plan 9 has given you some of the best advice you gonna get. Heed it. First time at Bonneville is no time to concerned about records. You will have your hands full getting through tech and figuring out all the protocol that goes with running there. It may have been said before but the SCTA doen't give a damn how you build your car. BUT if it isn't built to THEIR rules you won't race.

We just got back from a dream Bonneville. I'm as poor as churchmouse and as tight as a scot and it still came to around $2000 for the week. Coming home with two record certs in your back pocket eased the pain.

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I agree that the advice by plan9 is very good. It is exactly what we are trying to follow. We are trying to put the best car together possible, to meet tech, and hopefully have a good handling car. The engine will be as good as we can do, in the time frame, but the emphasis is on the car.

Major congrats on the 2 records! That's great!

23. choptvan

choptvan

This is goingto be fun. The warnings introduced seem logical, yet I am sure they are overseen often. Thanks for the advice guys.

Can't wait to cut this down. Got a few ideas already.

24. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, I thought you had a newer Chevycoupe ? This '38 will look real mean when it is chopped. Does that still match the class requirements for the class you are running ? I would think a chopped top would put you in a modified class . . . . .
    Hope you have fun. Looking forward to seeing this one at Speed Week 2011.

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Dave, it's a very small chop. The Vintage class allows up to a 3" 'beauty' chop. I figure even 3" is a little less wind resistance!

I think the '38 is way cooler than the '41,and smaller to boot!

26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, I guess a "beauty chop" is as good a term. Looking forward to progress on your build.

27. plan9

plan9

hows the build coming along? hit any snags yet?

28. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Let's see- I live in Colorado, and work in Pennsylvania. The car is in Missouri, for chassis/suspension work, near dad's, then going back to Colorado for a beauty chop, roll cage, etc.

I'm delivering a junk engine block to the engine builder next week, in Ohio, for internal measuring, etc.

I'm looking for a block in Washington, so that Flatroy can make me a 6-71 blower intake, and the custom shop there can make me custom, quick connect style headers.

NOPE, it's all going as planned!:D;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  29. choptvan

choptvan

HA HA! Sounds like hot rodding for sure!

30. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, It looks like you are out to make a serious try at lakes racing ! I just want to be at Bonneville when you fire the Chebbie up with this Blown Flat-Cad Power ! Will stay tuned for your progress.