Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Avantis, are they for wierdos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude_trucks, Jul 27, 2010.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Like myself?

I can't seem to make up my mind whether I like these things or not. They have a certain amount of undeniable dignified badass about them, but then I think they are a bit goofy, oddly shaped in the rear and maybe a little girlie (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I am kind of digging them more lately and think I might be slipping into the dark side. Anybody feel something similar about these cars?

You don't see too many of them customized in any real way other than some custom wheels and for salt flat racing. And for good reason, the lines are definitely bold and maybe too hard to work with and make clear improvements on. The factory lines are quirky, but they are strong.

I was kind of digging around for some examples that are street cars that have been toughened up a little, lowered maybe, more aggressive wheels/tires, but not cheesy. Anybody have any good examples to share for inspiration?

I am thinking a dual supercharged, 4 spd manual one might be in my future some day, but I would want it to be just slightly more badass looking than factory, just slightly. Just enough to give someone a hint it might be packing.

In the planning stages of what my next project might be 10-11 years from now when I am done with and recovered from my current truck project.

Here are some things I have found.

I saw this baby at the CA Auto Museum in Sacramento a couple of months back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a bit street roddy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or should I just get a '53 Stude coupe instead?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. 69fury

69fury

for me, it's all about the back end- I have issues with that bug eyed face...

I'm really feelin' that blue one on the salt...

-rick

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

its like studebaker made up for looks with power.

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Hmm, for me, I like the front, but not the rear so much. Maybe the rears aren't as quirky as I am thinking, at least to others anyway. Maybe I am the quirky part of the equation.

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Or maybe they are just kind of like dating a model, look too good in a way. They can photograph very well and look good on paper, but in reality are strange and something's just wrong with them.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Beautiful cars.
    Even today, they fit in. Hard to tell what year they are.

8. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

9. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

One car that NEVER got enough love, real pretty cars.

10. HRod 50

HRod 50

11. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

heres one

Attached Files:

12. Jax2A

Jax2A

Another car that was ahead of its time. Avanti's are wicked. Period.

13. They have their place. Not a main stream popular car, but who cares? By the way "wierdos" will, and do, drive anything.

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

15. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

when the money ship comes in an Avanti is at the top of the list.
    neat looks and performance in a small package.

jim h

16. Avanti's were futuristic back in the 60's and still are. They never were a cookie cutter car. They came well equipped and with power. They really weren't for rodding, more touring.

17. I had a '64 R-1 4-speed with square headlights.

My wife had a '73 AvantII with a 400 ci SBC, as it came from the factory.

Styling was way ahead of its time. Folks used to turn, look and ask me questions about them wherever we went. I thought they were fantastic cars. Solid with no rattles. Doors closed tight with a Mercedes like tapered pin into a hole latch.

I had all the parts to restore the '64 but never did it. I got involved with some other projects.

They're both gone now. Sold the '73 and bought a '40 Ford Coupe.

Biggest problem I saw was the return on the investment. While other cars were advancing in price, the Avantis were idling in value. I thought they'd take off in price like other low production cars, but they never did. The old Fords were/are a better long term investment.

If I ever have some extra $dough$ (unlikely) I'd get another to play with. The factory S/W gauges, built in roll bar and advanced styling crank my crank.

18. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I've always had a strange attraction to the avanti. However I never liked the roof line on them, and if I could build a custom body for one, I would go with a simplified fastback roofline, the closest I'll get to that is this sketch I did. I always thought they would make a good touring car, and they have a hint of european styling to them, so I thought I would play that up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Tan-Dawg

Tan-Dawg
    from Michigan

Conjures up images of secret agents, cocktails in tiki's, mid-century modern design, mysterious women, skinny ties, mid-length skirts, hipsters... Avanti's have their place... they are cool, debonair, slightly sinister... mysterious.
    [​IMG]

20. rixrex

rixrex

Solve the problem, get a 53 coupe AND an Avanti and have the two coolest (wierdo) cars on the planet...

21. 440JIMR

440JIMR

Perfect car for Mad Men in my opinion.

22. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

always liked 'em, but then again i'm customizing a rambler, so take that for what it's worth!

23. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Love the Avanti, I have always wanted one!

24. modelamac

modelamac

I just got rid of my '63 R1... I agree with the return on investment. I had mine for a couple of years, as usual I bought high and sold low! LOL!

If you ever get the chance to own one or even ride in one.... DO IT!
    I can't speak for the later cars, but the Studebaker version is a blast, it's almost unbelievable the performance a stock Avanti puts out, it will blow you away on how spunky they are. They're like a little Rocket ship. You might not think it but Avanti's ride super smooth, and they handle like they're on rails. I've drove mid year Corvettes, and I'm a die hard Chevrolet man. But I'm here to say "I think the Stude handles and drives much nicer than any of those early Corvettes."

Avanti's are really cool, WAY ahead of their time and much under rated. Everyone who sees one can't believe that it's a Studebaker design, much less from 60's! They still look advanced even today, but you either love 'em or you hate 'em.

If you look around, these cars are really affordable since the economy tank.

Attached Files:

25. [​IMG]

If they looked like this stock, nobody would be asking if they were too weird or not. This rendering is a 100% improvement over the original and looks fantastic. The original body style is just way too strange looking for me though.

26. I helped a friend oput one together a couple of years ago. I always thought that were cool cars. Way ahead of thier time in styling. On thing that put Studebaker out of business was their styling. They were just too advanced for the general public.

They are a heavy car (about 4,000 lbs) that combined with the shape makes them a good candidate for the salt.

I ended up with some extra bits n pieces from my friends build. I've just kept them for whenever someone needs them.

Anyway I like them well enough.

27. boldventure

boldventure

A couple of other guys liked the Avanti well enough they bought the whole deal from Studebaker and kept on building them long after the parent corp. went under.
    I just saw a photo of one here in the San Jose/Santa Clara, Ca. area.