Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cadillac Ranch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BubbaLuv, Jul 26, 2010.

1. BubbaLuv

BubbaLuv
    from Denton, Tx

I was watching PBS tonight and they had a 30 min documentary style show on The Cadillac Ranch. One thing I never knew about the ranch is that they actually drove all the cars into the holes where they now sit. It really messed with my head that they were actual running and driving cars at the time. I've always wanted a Caddy. Anyway, learn something new everyday...
    bubba

2. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

3. cadillac nut

cadillac nut

4. I thought they were dug up and moved once.

5. Yes they were.

6. Pretty cool that they could drive them out of the old holes and drive them over to/in the new ones "they currently reside in". Those Caddy mills just won't quit :D

7. My thoughts exactly.
    That's why I have a Caddy 500 in my car.
    Never know when you might fall in a hole.. :D

8. Are we talking about my avitar again? :D

9. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Stanley Marsh from Amarillo,Texas was the man that enabled artists to express themselves in many mediums, including auto sculptures. I had the pleasure to work with him on a few strange projects. I had a shop across from his famous little ranch known as 'Toad Hall' on old Route 66 in the 1980's. In his pasture were a half a dozen very tall 30-40 foot vertical neon sculptures that constantly changed colors all night. He hired hippies to dress like American Indians and live in real tee-pees that lined the entrance to the ranch for the tourists to see from the roads. Also, he had a windmill pumping spring feed water free for anyone to get as much as they needed next to the road. He had many exotic animals on the ranchland. Mr. Marsh was truly a one of a kind eccentric. He left a permanent fingerprint on much of the Texas Panhandle. Painted in very large letters on one of his barns facing '66' was the word 'SUCCESS.' Everyone that knew him misses him very much now. He's laughing now in that Cadillac Ranch in the sky!!! RIP Mr. Marsh.

10. calvinh

calvinh

I'm not real sure but I think he is still alive. The guy however was/is a kook. He was put on probation in the late ninetys for kidnapping and locking a 17 year old kid in a chicken coop. The list of his faults goes on and on. But Cadillac Ranch holds a lot of fond memories. It had pretty much become a ritual when I was a teenager that on saturday nights we would get a case of beer and go sit on top of the Caddies. I've taken a lot of girls out there at night. Its just a fun place to go. Heck we even on a few occasions sold $1 Walmart spray paint out of the bed of my truck to tourists for $5. It still is to this day the place where me and my best friend go to talk when we need to get something off our minds. And usually its in the middle of the night with a cooler full of beer.

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

If you ever see a picture of the cars when they were first put in there before all the spray paint and vandalism, it actually looks really cool. Sad to see all those Caddy's nose in the ground but still very cool in an artistic way. Someone computer literate (thats not me) should post a pic, its worth seeing.

12. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

[. Heck we even on a few occasions sold $1 Walmart spray paint out of the bed of my truck to tourists for $5.

why you outta be ashamed of yourself, no respecting car guy should ever partake in the defacing of any car let alone a caddy!! :rolleyes: (jk)

13. Slow55

Slow55

14. draggler

draggler

Yeah the digging of the holes was all an illusion ,it was really all that weight from the motors that just sank and ended them up like they is !