Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Willys barn find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jul 20, 2010.

1. It's value/price is directly related to what someone will pay. The asking price of $65K seems too high to me, but I'm beyond being shocked by what some people will pay for a car (Barrett Jackson).

2. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

Barn find

Attached Files:

3. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

I agree with ya there about the tv auction scene but then again guys and gals were talking about pedigree museum quality cars.people with money falling out there asses this Is what drives the prices up and what In turn makes the hobby so expensive to get Into nowdays eveyone thinks there rusted down falling apart piece of junk Is worth $50,000 since a museum quality car just rolled over the block on tv for that.

4. alsancle

alsancle

Just as a note. In my experience "museum" quality is usually driver level cosmetics that barely run. The cars that usually (but not always) bring the big money are "concours" quality cars. That means the underneath looks better then the top. However very nice but untouched for 50 or 60 years may actually yield the most money.

5. Dont you all know?? Everything is now found in barns, hidden behind piles of junk and covered in chicken crap. All it took was a little gas in the carbs and a battery and the old flathead fired right up.........same stories over and over. It robs the real story from the true, genuine barn find.

6. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Car is worth about 10-15 grand

7. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

My shop is in an old "barn" I hope someone doesn't "find" it.

The term "barn find" should automatically be deleted as soon as you type it. It's right up there with "r@t rod" these days.

8. derpr

derpr

the price seems kind of high for me

9. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

Looks like a street rod! The willys to me are the king of hotrods...they should look like hotrods. Is that plush interior?

10. willyscoupe

willyscoupe

Well , I'm into mine for over 20K already but there's a lot of deals on Coupes right now ! I know of a couple more that just might hit the market before the yr is out ! And how about the body that went on evilbay in the spring ? Less than 10K and no real rust although it was a little tweaked by the look of it . And it was just the shell and one bent door .
    Any steel Coupe is a dream to own but I still wouldn't over pay for any car . There's deals out there right now ! People would rather sell toys than lose houses . I've been homeless ............ not so bad , I'm keepin my Coupe .lol.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Does any body know if this car was painted yellow in the 70's and 80's and has been in the san francisco bay area forever ??? If so I have the old 1 piece glass nose from it and had sold the guy the extra metal front clip.

12. evintho

evintho

Yep, the car was originally yellow. Don bought it from a guy up in Redwood Valley. The guy had owned it for a long time.

13. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate
    from California

Interior looks comfy

14. guffey

guffey

Wondered what became of it did it ever sell?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  15. xracer40

xracer40

From post #28
    I spoke to Sharon today and she's still asking $65k although she may take a little less. I relayed all the opinions I got here along with current Willys prices on Ebay and other research I did. My advice to Sharon is to sit and wait. She's in no hurry to sell it and when/if the economy begins to take off, we can list it then. The main thing is I got it running and stored properly. Cleaned up her garage too! She doesn't get many visitors and she was very happy to have us over for a few days. My wife and I had a good time visiting so all in all it was a win/win situation for everybody!
    I want to thank everyone for their input. We gleaned some valuable information!

16. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

hardley a barn find, more like a damnlucky ass score. count your blessing and go buy a lottery ticket

17. BADGAS

BADGAS
    from AUSTRALIA

Has it been sold?

18. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

its still a willys so to me its cool

19. evintho

evintho

UPDATE:

The Willys is for sale in the classifieds. I got her to drop the price by $10K but the spare sheetmetal doesn't go with it.

20. HotRodWillys

HotRodWillys
    from California

All of the "modern" work done on this Willys can be easily changed. A real deal steel Willys is just that.Anybody can buy a repop glass car. I wouldnt worry about it not selling.Every year they are getting harder to find because nobody will let go of them. I'll have mine till the day I die. :D

21. evintho

evintho

UPDATE:
    THE WILLYS SOLD FOR $40K!

It took 4-5 years and a lot of me trying to convince her to put a 4 in front of the number (I was thinking $46K-$48K). Well she finally did and I truly believe the new owner got a screamin' deal! The selling price included all the extra sheetmetal, tons of parts, documentation, binders full of receipts and pictures and God knows what else. Sharon told me the buyer was the 'right buyer for the car' so he must have made quite an impression with her! She even gave me a finders fee which I tried to turn down but she insisted. Really, I tried but Sharon's pretty stubborn so I thanked her and counted it a blessing. She's happy the car is gone now and has closed the book on that chapter in her life. Not sure if the new owner is a HAMBer or not, but if he is, I sure hope he posts up and lets us know what the plans are. Thanks to all the guys I've talked with over the years that were interested in the Willys. I know many were from the HAMB. This was a win/win situation. I think everyone came away happy with the deal!

i'malittleslow likes this.
  22. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Threewindowguy recently posted on the 37-41 Willys thread that he now owns the car.

23. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

IMG_1179.JPG I guess I better weigh in. Sharon was a great woman to deal with. She truly loved the car and was fair and accommodating with everything, excavating parts from shelves, helping to install the front clip and getting me everything that had anything to do with the coupe. No concrete plans just yet, just get it running, fit the clip and examine the car. Just to correct the record, it appears to have a 400 Turbo, gears look like 4.56's. I did put some stock tires & wheels on it (Halibrands are stock Willy's wheels, aren't they?). No hurry to fire it, straightening up a little wiring here and there. I got the stock hood prop with the car, and since the firewall is back a little, I modified it, relocated the coil and got it installed. I hate working under a 2 X 4 holding a hood. I'll update as I go along if anybody is interested. Absolutely a great car!