Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transaction for car parts UK TO U.S.A. Best way!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WICKEDJOHN, Jul 26, 2010.

1. I am interested in purchasing car parts/ motors in the U.K.! Of course, I have never purchased outside of the U.S. and I heard such horror stories in the past! What is the best, safest way to approach this...as I do not want to be ripped off? Thanks for your advice...John

2. Anyone....Anyone??

3. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

What do you want and who are you looking at to supply them ?

4. Hi Crafty,
    One of the items is an all numbers matching Small block chevy date coded motor! A fellow in London UK said he will take a direct wire transfer only? I am not protected/ Insured to do a wire transfer! What is the best way to do the transaction so we both are protected?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Don't buy from anyone in England. What would make you think there are any American car parts in Europe? Most of the posts I've read here, and other boards, the European car builders pay a fortune for American iron and pay through the nose to import parts.

SCAM

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I take that as an INSULT:mad:

Yes becareful.

There are UK Hambers here are willing to help if possible.

But I would agree. Unless it is a rare part for a US car you are better off looking here.

7. Yes...I want to hear from the London UK H.A.M.B. members! Maybe they can check this guy out! .....John

8. Fe26

Fe26

Perhaps you can use a fellow HAMBer who has a car type business as a broker. I.e; he checks out the parts and identifies if the seller has a legitimate business or, if an individual has a home address etc. Wire the money to the HAMBers business account, he then pays the seller, picks up the part/s and takes them to a Freight Forwarding Co.

Of course he will want to be paid for his time and trouble, this is fair, and safe for you.
    Now all you have to do is find the right HAMBer...

I agree with the others who say this sounds like a scam, be careful, and do not wire to the sellers acct. until you have someone check to see if the parts exist and there is an address for the seller.

Good luck

9. So tell us his name or business name. It,s not like we,re going to buy the items from under your nose.

10. Really?A neighbor of mine just imported a true Yenko from the UK back here. Was a project, but was a numbers matching Yenko Camaro that he sold for big $$$$. He exports 50's Chevy trucks to the UK and often gets rare muscle imported back.

However, buy with caution. Do your research.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  11. basher

basher
    BANNED

Is the guys name Carson? Or [email protected] I had a similar thing. I have some wanted adds on the hamb. Basiclly in the us about $1000 plus parts needed he offered them to me for $568 shipped! How is that possible? 51 merc parts aren't cheap sounded way to fishy no pictured a tracking number from a shipping company with a guy that answers the phone like it's a cell phone. Don't do it!

12. Try Ebay UK, you may find what your looking for & use Paypal, Ive been purchasing parts for my Hot Rod builds for a lot of years from the good ol USA & haven`t lost one item or had a bad deal. Good luck..........Bri

13. petrolhead

petrolhead

What about Pay Pal? I'll put some posts on some Aussie Websites for you(plenty of Pom's down here that might be able to help
    Regards
    Petrolhead

14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So buying from Americans is safe. How about you send the $14K that I got ripped by a guy out of MN?

BTW HEAPS of sweet deals from my american mates - thanks.

This deal does sound fishy although I only ever do direct bank to bank transfers for expensive stuff. If its big money get someone to go look at it. LOTS of pics too.

15. Are you Serious?
    or just Naive?

16. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

how did you find the guy?

if its a regular poster on car forums then chances are someone else will know the guy and stand up to say he's to be trusted

if its a stranger responding to a wanted ad , tread carefully , alot of scammers just respond to wanted ads saying they have your rare part you need

but yeah shipping is gona cripple you , id say look closer to home if you can

17. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Most of the posts criticizing my original post about US car parts in the UK are from people outside the US. UK parts might be a better option for someone outside the US, most of you guys seem to have bottomless pockets to begin with and don't seem to have a limit on what you'll spend. Very few US car hobbyists would spend the kind of money foreigners will spend just to transport a somewhat common car across an ocean. If some one is in the US and needs parts for a US car why would it be more economical to buy from the UK when we're in the country the parts originated? Sure, there might be a few exceptions but I can't see how it would be the norm to find a US car part in a foreign country rather than in the US. With car clubs, eBay, Craigslist and numerous places on the web, like the HAMB, I am sure you can still find any part you need in this country.

Most of the posts I've read on the HAMB, and the other sites I frequent, the European car hobbyists have a lot of trouble finding parts for US cars. I've seen numerous posts from people in foreign countries who are looking parts for their US cars and are willing to pay what I consider big bucks to have the simplest part shipped to them. I just can't imagine that some one in Europe has a big stash of rare US auto parts. The UK auto parts scammers are as notorious as the Nigerian scammers. There has been numerous posts on the Ford Barn about a few specific UKers who answer ads for parts wanted with unbelievable prices and promises. Unfortunately, many people still fall for these scammers. I stick with my opinion about buying from someone in the UK, most likely a scam. If you're still going to go through with the deal do everything suggested to cover your ass, and then, you still might get burned. Scammers are always devising new ways to scam, after all, it's their business and most are very good at it.

18. I have emailed him for his phone number/address etc. and have not heard back from him! I originally found his add on Craigs List UK for a small block chevy date coded and numbers matching motor I need for a Muscle car I am currently restoring/building! I brought up Paypal and he said he does not do Paypal....to many bogus PP accounts....he replied? I guess, if I cannot get someone to check this guy out...I will not do business with him! All I got so far was his email: [email protected] and his name is Allan! You guys would be surprised how many American made parts, motors, Muscle cars, rods etc...are over in the UK!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I wouldn't say there aren't any US parts in Europe, but of the ones that are there I would assume there has to be a huge multiple of them here, again, because they were made here, or at least shipped here in vast quantities.

As for dealing with sellers on Craigslist, domestic and foreign, the first thing I ask for is a phone number and address. That usually kills all communication. I've had a few sellers and buyers give me some very interesting excuses why I can't call them. One buyer said his wife was in intensive care and he couldn't use the phone there. I then offered to deliver the vehicle to his door step because I had relatives in his area and I was planning to visit them in a week but he insisted using his trucker. He actually sent me a check (drawn on a bogus account) and when I wouldn't send the extra money back fast enough he told me his wife was in a "fatal" accident and needed emergency surgery and needed the money, in cash, ASAP to cover the operation. I told him to tell her to hang in there. A seller was advertising a truck locally for a really decent price but after I contacted me he informed me he had moved to another state. Again, I asked for his phone number. He replied that he was born deaf and couldn't use a phone. He gave me his location and I again told him I had relatives in the area who knew sign language and would be willing to inspect the truck in person. He stopped replying to my email. I also found this exact truck, with the same pictures, advertised in numerous cities around the country.

Another indication that your seller could be a scam is his email, all of the scammers that have contacted me used a free generic email with hotmail.com or gmail.com. You can't trace emails using these systems. It's not as easy as [email protected].

20. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

if you do get an address you can look it up on google maps to make sure its a residential address , then post up the area and maybe a uk hamber can help out

tell him you have a uk buddy that can meet in person and pay cash

21. ratman

ratman

For the past 40 years + Rodders have been travelling to the US with their hard earned money on their dream of a life time trip to purchase a stash of goodies to take home. Infact in a couple of hours I am about to do just that.
    This means that there is a huge amount of hard to get no longer available items tucked away in garages all over the planet and now that things are getting harder to find in the US and prices are climbling skywards it has become worthwhile shipping some stuff back into the US to take advantage of both the higher sell price plus the gain on the exchange rate.
    On my last trip to the US I was a bit nervous about the amount of overweight luggage I had, The guy at the check in counter happened to be a Hot Rodder and he just smiled and let me through with no extra charge. During our brief chat he told me how he and his father came down to New Zealand on a yearly basis to buy vintage and muscle cars becuase we had such a selection of hand picked and pampered vehicles.
    There is another world out there you know and yes there are a lot of scammers, Just be carefull ask questions and if possible get somebody to verify things for you.
    Anyway I gotto go theres another 12 Kiwis heading your way this afternoon on a 20 day spending spree, If you see us at a meet please say Hi !!!

Peter Mathers
    President
    Hamilton Hot Rod Club
    New Zealand

22. Ask for a picture of the parts. Tell him you want a specific object(s) included in the picture (maybe a newspaper, maybe a dinner fork maybe a water glass). The specific object(s) will keep him from using photos from other sources. Let know his reaction.

Charlie Stephens

23. Nice to see the back track .. :D

24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I guess I am back tracking a little. There parts all over the world, I'm just saying from what I've read on the different boards US parts are difficult to find in other parts of the world and why would someone buy them to re-import them back into the US. With all the resources we have I can't believe even if a person in the US ended up paying top dollar for a part it still would be cheaper to find the part in the US rather than pay the inflated price in a foreign country and then go through the hassle and cost of having shipped back to the US. I just can't see some one in Europe selling a US auto part cheaper than it can be bought here. Just by the fact that US parts are rather hard to find in Europe that alone would drive the price up other there. Also, it has been stated with the current exchange rate it very appealing for foreigner buyers to buy parts from the US. Right there alone means it's less beneficial for a person in the US to buy from a foreign seller.

Scammers are pretty easier to shake out of the tree once you ask a few of the questions mentioned here. They aren't going to waste their time on a skeptical buyer when they have another dupe waiting to get fleeced standing in line.

25. benhardy

benhardy

Im pretty sure this fella is a scammer, Im in the process of sending him emails about a dirt cheap LS6. He told me his names Paolo and lives in the ass hole of scotland! Im in the UK, when I checked the time he replies to his emails he either an insomniac or not on UK time (states?) I also asked for a phone number and told me hes just had a throat operation and cant talk! My suggestion of Paypal didnt go down to well either. Just gone to re check his advert and its been flagged by someone else. Hope this helps

26. Rem

Rem

Well, I didn't even know we had a Craigs List! Just checked "Craigs List London" and the first three listings that come up on there in Auto Parts are for US motor parts, and all three look to me to be direct lifts from eBay listings. Scrolling down a bit came up with three old Harley motors that all seem too good to be true! No mention of where in London, or any contact details, or chance to view the parts.

Although it's bullshit to say "Don't buy anything from the UK", sadly this deal doesn't sound right. Any genuine seller who wants direct transfer of money would be happy to give his address and other details.