Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pictures of new paint that looks old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fergie059, Jul 25, 2010.

1. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

Starting my project and my bodywork is all done.I want it look old after it "painted". Just not sure how to achieve this. Any pics and suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks:rolleyes:

2. Search for "faux patina"

Plenty of opinions on this.

Good luck.

BloodyKnuckles

3. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Lay down a few coats of differently colored layers of paint or primer. Then sand through to get the desired effect.

By the way, I hope you're wearing your flame-proof suit.....prepare for the onslaught of negative comments. LoL.

Do whatever floats your boat, and have fun with it!

4. seret

seret

I had an old chassis and a media blasted body, I wanted it painted but I also wanted it to match my frame and parts. 1. light coat of red oxide primer, 2. two medium coats of orange omni single stage, I let it dry for 8 hours then hit the whole car with a scotch bright and rubbing compound. let it dry for 2 days then buffed it out. looks like an old paintjob. Its glossy but not new looking.

Attached Files:

5. hotrodspeedco

hotrodspeedco
    from richmond

Its really pretty easy, Im sure everyone has there own way of doing it. I started with a base coat of black, then painted over it with green primer. sanded edges, high spots, and that kind of thing. I used steel wool, and 2000 grit sand paper.. with water. then waxed it a little.

6. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

looks pretty damn cool.

7. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

Maybe Im missing the point.The last thing I want is a 70 year old car to look new.
    I just got out of the "prostreet high polish,billet everything" and want to go in a very differant direction.Because I replaced so many panels in the '31's body,it had to be completely primered.I thought the whole point was to veer away from anything that looked modern or polished or perfect.Again,whats the deal??

8. lorodz

lorodz

3 coats of paint and wet sand the hell out of it ...till you burn threw
    [​IMG]

9. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

I really don't get this trend.....It's like pre-torn jeans, to me.

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ya, do a search for faux patina.

There's plenty of threads on here explaining how retarded, and uncool it is. It would suck to have to type it all again. I mean really, lets try a little harder to be a "traditional" rodder. Thats what all the cool kids are doing.

11. Personally, I agree with Seret. If you are trying to match an existing look and having to faux it would be fine. I have seen a handfull of believable faux finishes but the mainstream fake patina looks, well, fake.

I know there are artists out there that can make it look pretty convincing but If I went through the hassel of repairing and replacing body panels I sure would do a refined paint job. It sure as hell doesn't need to be a high dollar just a clean and neat job.

If you are determined on a faux finish then do a bit of homework, make the wear marks and natural fading as true as possible. Maybe even take a walk through a junk yard to find examples. Take pictures and do plenty of samples.

Do a good job and not one person will question wether or not it's original.

Again, good luck.

BloodyKnuckles

12. dont worry what everyone says. paint her the way you see her.. 10 years ago I shot my 55 floresent orange and everybody thought I was nutz-- till she was done, then they would stop on the street or back up to look at her.. and now u cant swing a dead cat without hitting a flor-or car.. personally I love the faded look on the RIGHT car. and if I can figgur out how to upload some pics I;ll show you a smokin chev truck.. just do as these other guys have been advising use a flattener with the paint and practice on the wifes car

13. ENFO

ENFO
    from Tucson AZ

If those guys from "Rolling Bones" posted a picture of one of there new builds all the "Flame throwers" would be Jerking off on there computers. Yet all there cars are FAUX PANTINA paint... Its all about who you are... so just ignore the nay-sayers and go for it....

14. I added flattening agent to single stage paint and it came out with a little dull but still shines. The desired effect was a 10 year old paint job and to hide my body work skills.
    I think it worked pretty good.

15. henry29

henry29

Is all of your stainless trim painted white?

16. Try a few of these:
    Street Rod Builder 3/2008
    Street Rodder - 7/2008
    Street Rodder - 9/2010
    Trucks! - 2/27/10
    Trucks! - 7/24/10

Your name is on the title - enjoy it.

17. sixbangr

sixbangr

this '32 is in Mukwonago, WI. Saw it yesterday when I picked up my '29 roadster from him. He has 2 more cool ones there too.

Attached Files:

18. Kerry67

Kerry67

Paint it how YOU want. Make yourself happy first.

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

The paint on this truck is ALL original from 1936, and the company on the door is still there. That is the only reason I would'nt do a real paint job on a car. Like said earlier on this thread Faux/patina is Fake! just my .02

[​IMG]

20. 8flat

8flat

I agree with this line of thinking too...

Like someone pointed out, just spend the time to do it right so it doesn't look so fakey.

21. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

No, it looks like some of it is painted blue.

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like this....Nice job.! :)

23. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Kevin Tetz did a nice job on an old Chevy truck on "Trucks" and is calling the effect "Fauxtina." You can see a video here http://www.spike.com/full-episode/classix-part-5-faux/36170
    These paint jobs are just a reaction to all of the High Dollar paint jobs on all those trailer queens, that only the Gray Beards can afford, and have driven to the point of being cliché, (and truth be told, a lot of them are up for sale because of the economy.) I was able to BS my way into a job a Lowe's paint dept, because I knew how to do this stuff inside homes. I personally like it, don't see what the fuss is about, like to check them out when I see 'em, and like to talk to the guys that own them. Hope that I can get in the groove soon and have something soon, myself!

24. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

i grew up in the 50's and 60's---i don't remember anything like this paint trend from back then. That being said, this hobby enjoys a wide spectrum of tastes---it's yours so do it your way. we scuffed and buffed white (and other colors) primer back then to get to gloss from patina. Whatever turns your crank---

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I think there was an article in Street Rodder recently on how to do what you are attempting. Do it your way and tell the Nay Sayers to pound sand!

26. Just another thread to get everyones blood pressure up. I agree with the reply about Rolling Bones, I think they build cars the way they should be built, faux patina and all, to be accepted it all depends on who ya are and that goes for the whole "traditional" thing to. Some can't afford the real thing and still love hot rods, build it the way you want, paint it the way you want and take it out and drive it the way you want. That's the traditional way we did it in the 50s and 60s, only we didn't know it was traditional then, we just knew it was what we wanted to do. Jesus, can't we all just get along, you know, help each other out.

27. skull

skull

here is the 1950 dodge truck l'm working on to try an get running before summer is over.

the truck was supposdly going to be painted in 1993 by the owner, he never did. being already in primer when l bought it, l thought ''hey just squirt it and drive it''. WELL work and other things in my life got in the way of that idea. never did paint her and she sat in the shed for 12 years untouched and this is how it came out of storage.

the question: does this count as ''REAL'' patina, fake since someone started to do body work and paint but never did and it sat untouched for a long time or neglected primer?

PS l have 2 hot rods with new shiny paint, just to new for this board.

Later:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  28. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

My buddy wanted an old timey coach enamel finish finish rather than high gloss. He discovered by accident that using a bit of petrol instead of thinners stops the paint buffing up to a super high gloss. Might be worth shooting some onto a test panel and see how it comes out.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Fake is fake, they weren't trying to make their stuff look old in the early 60's. I don't see why you would now. :rolleyes:

x2, and I don't care who it is.

30. VanGogh in the garage!
    I like that idea: faux finish as reaction to all the shiny, over built, over priced cars ya tend to see! Anyone independent of mind would react against the clone cars - owned by people who didn't build them but only paid for them. Another status symbol to park next to the high dollar Jap car in the garage. Which is OK, but where is the sense of rebellion? Where is the "attitude"?
    Look at Barrett Jackson tv auctions - usually priced out of reach for most people! Cars as investments - like the VanGogh ya bought last year...
    Go for your faux finish! PAINT YOUR CAR THE WAY YOU LIKE - I DID!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
    the oil soup likes this.