Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looks like I'm the new girl...with a '56 Olds to boot !!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by MissFortune, Jul 24, 2010.

1. MissFortune

MissFortune
    from Lemont, IL

Hello everyone!!

My name is Jen and I am obviously new to the HAMB, at least as a member. I've read quite a bit before but now that I've got the car it was time to join once and for all! I'm hoping to make some friends and connections, and also build my network. I want to hopefully meet some people to hang out with at shows and cruise nights, and maybe pick up some parts in the mean time. And of course get tips and how-to's on finishing my car, since I know some but definitely don't claim to know it all. I'm still learning! Luckily I've got my brother Nick (NOT_SO_FAST) to teach me more and help me undertake this heap of a project.

I've always been interested in classics, kustoms, and muscle since a real early age; my family has a lot of history in cars in the area, mostly with Mopar muscle. I also own a bike (a little 1980 Suzuki cruiser...for now), and so there's definitely a degree of surprise when people I meet (or even my friends I've had for a while) find out that I am such a gearhead !! And while I will always have an appreciation for muscle cars, about 5 years ago I started gravitating towards the kustoms and all the culture that goes with it. And I just can't stay away!!

Finally it was time for me to get my own car, I started looking around for an old Mopar, since I was raised on them and love them so. I do, however, have a certain soft spot for Oldsmobiles; my first car was a '94 Cutlass and subsequently my second car is too, an '89 Cutlass. Now it looks like my third car is also an Olds, as I just picked up a '56 Olds Super 88 sedan. It's definitely the new love of my life! (Bought it a month after ending a rocky relationship too, ironically enough...haha)

I've posted some photos below (hopefully you're still reading since I've probably written more than enough...) They are the photos I took the day after bringing the car home from Crown Point, IN. It has the original 324 4-barrel Rocket engine and the Jetaway trans. Power steering, power brakes. Front disc brake conversion, and also converted to an alternator. The last 2 owners did quite a bit of jiggy-rigging with the work they did, so everything needs to be gone through and re-done correctly. It's definitely a little bit of a project. Runs and drives at least, so I can tear up the town!!

The wheels are already different than in the photos; I put some steelies on and the original hubcaps that came with the car. I've done some work on the interior, and by that I mean I ripped out the nasty old headliner, put a seat cover on the front seat, and laid down some carpet pieces on the bare floor for now. All of the glass and both bumpers need to be replaced (cracked and/or foggy, or missing completely), and I have to make new door panels and package shelf. Luckily I do get to finish it the way I want. The last thing to change will probably be the paint. I bought it with the paint you see and I'm definitely not married to the scheme; and the guy who did it pretty much didn't mask anything off so I've been spending a lot of time with steel wool and lacquer thinner trying to remove overspray.

I'd welcome any tips and pointers anyone may have, or photos of other '54-'57 Oldsmobiles so I can get more ideas on what to do and what's possible (and maybe what not to do?). The end result is inconclusive as of yet. I just want to get everything done mechanically first and then finish it off cosmetically. Also please let me know if you have any parts to spare; I am specifically looking for both bumpers at the moment (but I am interested in anything you might have to offer). Questions and comments, please reply!!

Now, for the photos (I really hope you're still reading...):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one of me!!

[​IMG]

2. ARVCo.

ARVCo.

Welcome aboard Jen from Silver Spring, MD!

3. 6mopar7

6mopar7

Hi Jen,

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. Love your car !

Mopar guy.
    John :D

4. missedmyexit

missedmyexit

Kool ride! I always liked that car, so many ways to make it stand out from the crowd. Welcome from Fremont, CA.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Welcome from Chicago

6. Welcome from Texas..........

7. Welcome from Arkansas...

8. I read your whole intro. Love the Olds. Welcome form Connecticut

9. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I really like your ride Jen! The possibilities are endless with that one. Body looks good too although that can be decieving especially from just squinting at my laptop. I look forward to seeing more. Have fun!

10. welcome along from lil ol New Zealand. Great sart you have there for a mild custom, you're gonna enjoy it.

11. bowtie40

bowtie40

Welcome to the pool Jen, the waters fine!!! From the great northwest...

12. MissFortune

MissFortune
    from Lemont, IL

thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

And yes, DirtyJohn, the body is pretty solid. The guy I bought it from did a couple small patches; one on the passenger side rocker panel, and the other on the edge of the hood at the front of the car. You can't even tell. There are some pinholes in both the front floorpans; those will have to be replaced eventually. Other than that everything is solid. I definitely lucked out on that.

13. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

Hey girl, welcome.

14. poorman

poorman
    from cleveland

welcome from ohio cool car

poorman

15. skoh73

skoh73

Welcome!

There was a front grille and bumper, I believe, in the classifieds for $250 out of CA. I love those Oldsmobiles. PM me with your ideas for the exterior of the car and I'll fire out some Photoshop ideas for you.

16. ken1939

ken1939

Welcome and it will be nice to see your progress and direction you take the Olds!

17. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Welcome Jen from Oklahoma!:D

18. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. from Arkansas City, KS.

firstnomad

19. Welcome from Rockmart GA! Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup and Ozelle the '55 Ford send friendly horn honks to you and your Olds. Ozelle, being a 4 door herself, is pleased to see that your Olds is a 4 door, and she sends an extra friendly horn honk for that.

20. jstahemi

jstahemi

Long Island New York digs your ride;)Enjoy your ride here!!:cool:

21. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Is it just me, or does it seem like we get a lot of girls on here with tri-five Buick/Olds that have monochrome?

Maybe it's just me... Anyway, welcome aboard.

22. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

23. crapshoot

crapshoot

NICE INTRO WELCOME TO THE H.A.M.B

car looks good

24. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Welcome from LAS VEGAS

25. MissFortune

MissFortune
    from Lemont, IL

That's actually how the car was when I got it. I guess the chrome was so far gone that the guy I bought it from thought he was doing the car a favor by painting over it.

Trust me...I don't plan on keeping it that way, I just have to find myself some new chrome that I can actually afford.

26. mauler rich

mauler rich

Welcome from Wilmington NC, Love the Olds..

27. Shade Tree McGhee

Shade Tree McGhee

I've always loved the lines of mid 50's Oldsmobiles... so sexy! Enjoy it!

28. chubbie

chubbie

NW Iowa says welcome to you and the olds

29. randallwemerson

randallwemerson

I have 4 doors for your 4 dr good shape

30. nick905

nick905

Welcome from Little Elm, TX! I read the whole intro and the car looks like a great project.