Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Weird but VERY cool thing happened today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trailer-Ed, Jul 23, 2010.

1. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I met Rusty in 1993 while we were both still in college and I'm still not sure I've met anyone that can put a car together faster than he can. You completely deserve this Rusty and I am REALLY excited for you.

If I can help transport some projects into the shop, I'll do my very best to make things affordable.

2. nutajunka

nutajunka

Lot's of old metal in your area. Once you get your name out there you should do fine. Good Luck

3. congrats!!! hands down the best promotion i ever heard of!!

4. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

This is great news about your new job description. For your own satisfaction make sure you read your union contract regarding wages and benefits every line and understand it. Pay close attention to your retirement package ( restrictions, requirements and penalties), also understand your employers signalatory agreement with the union. All I am saying is be aware of all aspects of what you are about to venture into.

5. a40lover

a40lover

Sounds like a Win/Win for both you and the company.

6. robm7

robm7
    from bc canada

CONGRADULATIONS!!
    This sounds like it could be a terrific opportunity, Its sounds like they were really impressed with the craftsmanship. Now to move on to the future I beleive that you will find for this to work you are going to have to take off the hat of the craftsman for a bit and put on the hat of a business man.
    As someone else stated earlier, your next step is to sit down with the brass and figure out exactly what is expected and who is going to perform what role. Are you simply carrying on the roll of a craftsman and are they going to handle the business end including marketing, parts and materials aquisition and accounting? If you are going to be handling any of these aspects then you need to know exactly what the corporate office wants. You can bet that they will want all advertising and public relations to match with their corporate identity and values.
    I would also highly recomend sitting down and writing an in depth business plan, Look at the current economis situation in your area, identify your target market and look for a secondary market, is there something else that you could proved whether it is a product as or a service that could be sold as well, this would be something other than your main source of income. When times get tough it is often the comanies that have a secondary market that pull through.
    Possibly the hardest but most important aspect of this business plan is to record the possibilty of failure. It has hard to think of failure when starting out, we want to be positive, the importance of this is absolute. Of all of the steps you will take to get this up and running, this is the one that will make you profitable and successfull. By thinking of every way that we could fail and analyzing the steps that could lead up to this we can create a plan to ensure that those steps never get taken. This is also the most important aspect of the business plan that the bank will look at. They want to see that you are creating a game plan to deal with real problems as they occur
    Sorry To get a little long winded.
    If you would like I have a few really good business templates that you are welcome to have.
    Rob

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am still sitting here shaking my head to what you have told us . That has got to be the biggest complement that anyone could give you for all the hard work you have done to your cars ! That is more than a once in a lifetime opportunity ! Hats off to your and your new job ! You will do fine .
    Again , Congrats on this huge opportunity and that special dream that has just come true ! :D

Retro Jim

8. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Sounds like you work for a great company. Congrats!

9. TheNovaMan

TheNovaMan
    from Michigan

Wow, what a sweet deal! Alot of responsibility too. I hope it works out well.

Is the garage a part of the shop, or right next to it? Is the parking lot big enough to have at least a small car show? That'd be the closest to free advertising I can think of - you'd getting car guys to come check out your shop and your work, and that could start the word spreading in exactly the right community. Just an idea.

10. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Good luck and hope it all works out... Who know you could be the next Foose....

11. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

The bay I would be using is an old service truck maitenence bay, now used for staorage, the building is attached to the main building with all the equipment etc. This part of the facility is probably 80 or so yrs old, good for metal working, but paint and fine body work are definately out, along with engine/ trans builds. Mainly just fab work, rust repairs, installs etc. We were talking custom truck beds, using the plasma table to cut out and fabricate marketable parts etc. We have a big enough lot and under roof parking for at least 5-10 and still be out of the way. Fully fenced and guarded lot etc. Still a bit cought off guard by it all, but am getting lots of support, from both company people and friends. Just trying to figure how to start drumming up busines without a huge cash flow from the company.

12. Congrats on being able to live your dream....(ours too!)

In reality, YOU are already driving your edvertisements!

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Heaven forboyd. (!) Be your own guy. Do it your way. Right and fair.

14. twogees

twogees
    from Mid Mo.

That's cool Rusty! Just don't get frustrated when you aren't working on just "old tin". You might have to fab service truck beds, flat beds. and the like with a hot rod frame thrown in every once a while. Just try to be patient until this gets rolling good. And don't forget about your fellow union electricians......those thing have to "wired"!:D

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

16. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

"FOOSE" Thats all we need, another bondo hack who paint jobs shrink and crack right before your eyes. (overhaulin victim)

And american chopper is nothing to look up to.
    1 ex con
    3 rehab patients
    5 indicted for tax and mail fraud
    over 100 EPA, and DOT violations

Do it your way, then you have no one to blame...

17. Wow - what an opportunity! I don't know you, never met you, but I'm 100% behind you and this opportunity. I'm really excited to see how you progress, what types of jobs you turn out, etc. It's the start of a fantastic story in and of itself, one that any of us here on the HAMB can only dream about.

Many ask here how to start a business and here you have one that has been dropped in to your lap - literally. I hope you can document to whatever extent you can, your ups and downs as this all progresses.

Many here on the HAMB are living vicariously through you, man, and we know you will make us proud!!

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like your "ship just came in". Congrats!! I can see a lot of hard work ahead for you but the rewards of sucess are sweet. When I had my own shop it was the best part of my working career. Keep us posted as to how things are going. I would wish you "good luck" but I think you will find the harder you work the "luckier" you get.:cool::)

Frank

19. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Congrats! Sounds cool... You need a helper? I'm ready to blow this joint.

20. Man, cool. Go!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good for you! Sounds like you have a great boss, now make him some money. If you have every tool in the world I be thinking of making a line of parts you could sell direct or on eBay. You want to have something to do on the down time between big projects, maybe get the other shop guys working on a run of fan shrouds, or other tin items. Good luck, keep us updated with a progress report. Fixing up the work area and painting it will impress future customers.

22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

You said it is a union shop, Just wondering what the Union Stewart will have to say about it!
    All the best of Luck, sounds like you have a way cool Co. your working for.

23. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Very interesting proposition. At first blush, it looks like a dream come true. But after thinking about it, there are some concerns I would have myself. One is that they would now have rights to your intellectual property. Anything you think up related to automobiles is now theirs. Even if it was conceived on your time and in your HOME shop. They own it. Another concern is building your own cars. Separating theirs from yours may get tricky. Even if you do work after hours, you'd be using some of their consumables/materials. How do you handle that? Also, if I was going to do all the legwork of setting up a new shop, drumming up business, creating a niche in your area, I would rather just own it myself. Yes, it's expensive, but why let them take the profit that is based off your reputation? And last, if you signed a "non-compete" agreement when you first went to work for them, or they ask you to sign one now, you will be screwed from going out on your own for as long as it is in effect. Think this move out carefully before jumping in.

24. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

As long as it is metal related, sheetmetal, tubing, welding and metal fab work, it falls under our union contract. I can also do other work as long as no other union shops in the area are doing this work. As for work at home, I personally only do work for people out of my personal shop whiles layed off, to help with income. I do not have the time to work a 40 hr regular job, build my cars, and work on other peoples cars, + kids etc. It just would not work out. Really I know nothing about running a business, I am a worker bee, plain and simple. So to get them to give me the rains and say go for it, is a blessing in my opinion. Yes there is nothing to say that I get it going, train a helper, then they lay me off. But that is just a chnce to take. I'm sure if they see a profit, that is worth while, and steady, I'm sure they will just let me go with it. As for side work, yes if I do this type of work in a Union shop, it is against our contract to do said work at home, but I can still build my personal stuff, and slide in a few smaller jobs here in there for family and friends. Also If I decide to go out on my own we do havea clause in our contract allowing this, but at a cost$. Yes I know typical Union BS, but it is just them covering their backs. But Since this would be the ONLY UNION shop in central MO specializing in this type of work, and possibly the whole state for that matter, we should be able to corner the market. Once it takes off and steady income comes in, of course. There will still be some private shops etc doing it, but this would be the only Union trained shop, and man, you should see the equipment, and facilities available. My job title will not change, I will still me a Sheetmetal Journeyman, just switching from ductwork to custom automotive fabrication, still sheetmetal technically, just a different branckh of it that is MUCH more ejoyable for me to do. Believe my I have many worries, but no way to know what can/will happen unless I move on with it. Also a nice thing about this is really there is no business responsibility on my back as I am not and owner/ investor. Worst thing they can do is lay me off, and I go sighn the books and get a job at another company. But I really hope that does not happen.

25. hopefully you will like to go to"work"

and your hobby(when you get time) will not seem like work!

a few more thoughts
    set project goals , plan for materials shortages and have other work to do when things get backed up

set your hours and stick to it (Working 70 hours a week for a base salary gets old quick)
    4 day work week ? rotatating tues thru fri....mon thru thurs allowing time for you own life!

plan for days to do research .. junkyarding and car shows ,sema, etc.

outline and schedule each job , price estimating, tracking time spent ,forcasting,

allow for your time answering, phone, questions and schedule your day to allow for "hard undisturbed work"

learn to delegate and follow up any work delegated so its up to your standards

train someone thats open to your style not trying to change your world but can suggest alternatives

remember you are not ever going to do every speck of work and keep a good attitude when someone questions what you did and why

i have been my own boss and been in supevisorsory positions ... get some small business adminitration help now before you get in over your head

were all pulling for ya and i wish you were closer i have plenty of work to throw your way

best of luck go for it

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  26. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty--great to hear--good luck

27. nofin

nofin
    from australia

win fucking win!!

But sell them on the shop truck idea, nothing will be better advertising for the company and for you to get started.

28. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Kick ass Rusty! Good luck!

29. Noname38

Noname38

Hit the floor running and don't look back.

30. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Was the politician from the party that is trying to destroy hot rodding? That would be ironic if he was oohing and aahing over your car while he works to destroy our hobby with stupid environmental crap like cap and trade.