Register now to get rid of these ads!

California Freeways SUCK

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donmon, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Anyone who lives here knows that our Freeways and Highways suck!

I love my little T Roadster and want to venture out to some events 100-200 miles away, problem is driving to an event that far on our roads is down right scary and beats the sh*t out of my car.

I know its taboo but I think I would like to trailer to within 40 miles of the event unload and drive surface streets in.

Anyone do this? am I going to have rocks thrown at me if another HAMB'er sees me committing this horrible act?

2. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

im out in CA all the time. i always wonder how anybody drives a custom or lowered anything anywhere out there. my newer truck gets a beating from them dang free ways!!!

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Why would you park 40 miles away? Just trailer it in and unload it.
    That is, unless your are "pretending" not to be trailering.
    Don't pretend.
    If you're going to use a trailer, use a trailer.
    Don't "pretend" not to.

It's nobody's business if you use a trailer...

4. krooser

krooser

That's really a shame since I remember how nice the roads were when I first started trucking out there in the early 70's...

5. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

you guys actually get pot holes? cant be as bad as NYand NJ mainly NY probably the worst ive ever seen. i have to balance my tires like every 6 months

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  6. I dont want to pretend I want to drive my car. I burn a tank a week driving around my local area. Just bridging the gap, and exploring some new areas without white knuckling on the freeways. Thanks for the input.

7. the traffic jams suck there!!! i can just imagine having to take a shit and being sooooooo far from an exit.:eek:

8. TERPU

TERPU

Just man up and drive it if you want to. No worries I drive my A all over and yes the roads are rough the states broke and gas is expensive. Model T's are used to rough roads it probably feels right athome on them.

Tim

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Good...
    Now..I'm not sure of what locations you are traveling from and to where, but, maybe try a different route. just for the sake of good scenery and a better road surface.
    The only freeway in the Los Angeles area that I avoid is the Long Beach Freeway, the 710. Because of all of the truck traffic coming from the ports 24 hours a day, its always a real wreck.
    The others seem to be OK as far as freeways go...

Where are you going and from where?

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I trailered the Model A to the Street Rod Nationals in Bakersfield. Every year, someone breaks down and I'm the only one with a truck big enough to tow. I loaded up the "A", tools box, ramps, spare parts and hydraulic jack. I figured if someone broke down, I'd load their car up and drive my "A". Well, when we left after the show (4 Day event), my buddy's '34 Chevy was making a god awful noise, so we trailer his car home and I drove the "A". Now the "A" rides rough, with buggy springs and all, but it's nothing i can't handle.

Turns out, the trans bell housing bolts had backed out.

11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

the roads suck donkey balls in ca but i drive them all the time .if you drive the freeways enough youll remember where the real bad spots are and usually avoid them

12. I thought the roads were bad in Southern California until I started spending more time in Washington, DC for work. I will take SOCAL during rush hour any day of the week compared to the Beltway.

13. Mojo

Mojo

I was really surprised how rough the roads are here. I'm from back east, the land of a million potholes. Here in the desert, the roads aren't potholed that bad, but they're wavy and uneven, especially at interscetions.

Freeway traffic is so bad because the older freeway enterances and exits are designed so badly. I couldn't believe them when I first saw how a lot of them are laid out.

14. specialk

specialk

Austin and DFW have the same problem, wavy roads. We have such bad soil here that the roads buckle/heave. Clay and Limestone are not a good mix. It's also why you don't see much in the way of basements here, the house would just collapse after the foundation wandered off :eek:

15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Sometimes, with a bitchen car on the trailer, you're still the coolest guy on the road. Dont be a poser however. The trailer might be 100's of miles away if you park it 40 miles away. If people dont like trailers so much, How come there's posts on here about swiped trailers? I love my trailer.
    Embrace the trailer, the trailer can be your friend.

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I drove my T-head Mercer roadster everywhere out there including a trip from Reding to Pasadena over Angeles Crest

Your a pussy :)

The roads in Poland make So Cal look f'n wide & wonderful and new

17. HRod 50

HRod 50

Ohh this is a Funny thread.. DONT EVA EVA EVA EVA EVA! Go down Wilshire Blvd between La Cienega, and Downtown LA.. It seriously is the most depressing road I've ever seen, well actually Manhattan has some horrific roads but thier pot holes are spread out, but for such a Nice and busy stretch of pavement, Los Angeles DMV, should be ashamed that a road in it's city is in that bad of a condition. YOu really need a Baja style truck to ride down it.. Here's a tip for you guys driving in Los Angeles. Dont ever drive in the lane the buses drive in. Stay away from the right side lanes...

18. firingorder1

firingorder1

Whats wrong with the freeways? I drive them (in SoCal) all the time and apart from the odd "bump" I don't see anything wrong with them (except they are full of moved out here easterners that want to call them parkways or some such shit). How do you feel about paint chips? A minor ouch or a full blown coronary?

19. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

nailed that one - wilshire blvd sucks through there even in my OL 2007 Durango! haha!! How about the 215/60 abortion as you go thru Moreno Valley - Ive been eatin alive through that trap a couple times on my scoot!

20. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

don,t you people believe those signs that say YOUR TAX DOLLAR AT WORK.we have those all over Kansas. just wait till you start to Salina

21. WICKED 50"S

WICKED 50"S

THE WORST ONE WHERE I LIVE IS CALLED THE NASTY NIMITZ (AKA: 880 IN THE EAST SF BAY):eek: TERRIBLE

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

comon up to Michigan..than tell me about how bad your roads are..
    Ours get both freeze thaw cycles and de-icing salt..100,000# trucks beating the shit out of them 24/7 and no money to do nothing to them for the past 4 years or so.

in this state you can only go so low with a static drop, without beating the everloving shit out of your ride, probably why alot of guys run bags, so they can look cool in the parking lot and pump them back up so they can make it home in one piece.

23. He's in Central California, so I don't think traffic is the problem. There are great highways (as opposed to freeways) all over this area- how about driving these back roads to the shows?

24. Noname38

Noname38

The freeways don't bother me.... just the people driving on them. Had some idiot almost merge into me the other day because she didn't believe in looking in a mirror or over her shoulder.

25. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Yeah and they are adding up,no funds to fix them in this
    Wretched state...

26. 2002p51

2002p51

We lived in San Diego when we built the car in my avatar over there. Buggy springs, friction shocks, and bias plies. The first time I drove it to the Goodguys in Del Mar a bridge transition on the 805 slammed the rear end housing into the still too long rear spring mounting bolts.

Later that year (2005) we drove to the L.A. Roadster show and back, once on Saturday, and again on Sunday. The concrete stretches of the I-15 and I-10 'bout beat us to death. It was as if each slab was at a different level.

Now, we live in East Tennesee and, for the most part, the Interstates are nice and smooth. The big danger here is the other drivers. :eek:

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nailed it. MI used to be classified as the poorest roads in the country, but the highest hiway taxes. Go figure, huh? Now I think PA is the worst. I love the false bravdo of the airbag naysayers. Either they live where the problem doesn't exist or they're too numb to realize how much damage they do to their cars. Bags are your friend in MI.

Oh I forgot, MI has only 2 seasons. Winter and construction...

28. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Are you just not used to driving an old solid axle buggy sprung hoopty around? It's an entirely different critter than an independent front suspension car, especially if it's rolling on bias plies.

30. Big Nick

Big Nick

I invite all to come ride with me down the BQE in NY on a rigid bike or in my 52. My girl wont ride behind me cause each time I catch air it makes her nervous. Just drive it, whats a few bumps:D