Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ******larry watson******

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.J, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

A true Artist and general cool dude. This guy is "Style". he is what has inspired me from the very beginning. I remeber reading an article in custom rodder about how to lay out scallops and thinking that this guy is a ruler.

We will all miss you Larry Watson.

I hope we can live up to his Coolness and keep building cars with his influence and get his approval from above.

R.I.P.

2. Wow, what a loss, I too will have to wait to meet him. One of the great custom painter legends has departed and we all mourn.

To me, Larry was one of the ones who did not just paint, he invented. It seems he operated at a higher plateau, a place where work of a timeless nature is done, a place where not all, in fact few ever go. A customizer, visionary and painter of rare gift, Larry Watson will live on as legend for having led, rather than followed. His inspiration unique, his work timeless, his mark on the custom automobile business permanent

God rest his soul and comfort those he has left behind...

3. Moldy

Moldy

<b>To Know Larry through Association

I know no words can ever ease the pain of losing a loved one; only that my deepest sympathy goes out to Larry’s friends and family.

They say there is a reason for everything and I’m sure, you are asking yourselves, why did this all come about? And it is pretty ironic how he passed a day before his birth as death creates a new birth of sorts.

One thing that I do know; Is that with Larry’s passing it has brought us all closer together and as a reminder so to speak, that we are all fragile, that life is to short and that we as human beings are all connected through our association with one another.

Obviously as you read what has been said by others within this thread you will notice that you might have a friend or two if not more who has posted a good word or a short story about Larry and if it wasn’t for our association with the H.A.M.B. we all wouldn’t have this opportunity!

After years of following Larry’s accomplishments I finely had the privilege of meeting Larry through my association with Ed “Big Daddy” Roth. Ed had introduced Larry to me at a Mooneyes event back in 1999. Since then Larry and I had become friends, he was always a great supporter and we had some very interesting conversations that would include stories about the work he had done for Roth and others. Not to mention several conversations about the newer “Commie Paint” that is currently being used in the industry!

When he moved to the high desert he was much more attainable and when he’d throw a little get together over at his place in Victorville I’d usually show up and he’d always show his concern in regard to how and what I had been up to.

He attended several of my events without a complaint about the weather, venue or the size of the show, only to come out and socialize with anyone who would want to talk to him.

I feel very privileged to have known Larry for the short period that I did during his life.

For those of you who didn’t have the opportunity of actually meeting Larry, know that you did through the association of trade publications, TV shows and networks such as this.

Go through this thread, read the comments and maybe make some new friends today. And if you get the opportunity to possibly meet with them at some point in your life, look at them and remember Larry as you did when you posted your comment.

Know that Larry’s spirit along with Roth’s and other contemporaries of our time that have gone before us are forged in us. So speak their names, and speak of them often for it is their influence has opened the eyes and hearts of all of us.

God Bless You Larry Watson as you pass through the Candy Colored Rainbows of the heavens!

And as always, Big Thanx to Ryan for the development of the H.A.M.B. and the association of its followers that give us all something in common.

Ya all take care now,

Tha Moldy one

4. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Whoa, This is so sad. I saw him at the La Vene car show a few months back. He seemed healthy, he was very nice, spoke tio him briefly but mostly, he just seemed like a very cool guy. Like the kind of guy you wish you could be more like.

He leaves behind a huge legacy though, imagine having so many people building their cars to emmulate your style. Wow.

5. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Damn. Godspeed to another legend and pioneer.

6. Just saw the news, there is a huge hole in the Kustom world that will never be filled. RIP Larry.

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

Wow..I'm a little late on hearing this sad news..Another Legend gone, but never forgotten.

8. Moldy

Moldy

<b>Just got this info From Jimmy C And Dena

Services for Larry will be held July 31 @ 12:45pm

Westminister Memorial
    14801 Beach Blvd
    Wesinister Ca 92655

Ph 1-714-897-7710

9. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

It's official. I am now gonna build my 49 in "Watson" Style. I have been teetering on paint lately but not it's on!!!!!!

10. Very sad news....may he R.I.P.

11. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

the MAN and a humble admirer ( me ) GNRS 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

RIP What A Great Talent!

13. van_zombie

van_zombie

R.I.P. Larry
    A true inspiration to all of us. Your legend will live on forever in pictures and on our cars.

14. Just found this pic....Never seen it before! Doesn't look like it's Larry though...
    [​IMG]

15. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

It's larry

16. That's Larry alright. He was working on Al Lazarus' '55 Chevy.

Attached Files:

17. HAHAHA! Looks like a kid!!!! No beard....

18. I see your in portland. I can help you when you wanna do that, I'm in springfield....

19. RIP LARRY - ONE OF THE LEGENDS THAT GOT ME INTO PAINTING.
    [​IMG]

20. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

He was a kid! Didn't he paint the flame job on Al Lazarus' Chevy in '57? He would have been around 18.

21. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Shit man. What can one person say about a talented legend that hasn't been said already. RIP Mr. Watson.

22. wow,sad news read an article a while back abut him and his light bulb color charts to show reflections when the sun hits the paint and his crazy metal flake 2 headed spray guns,what a pioneer!!!he will be missed,sounds like he's was a great guy also, RIP man...

23. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

What an honor to read this post honoring Larry Watson's life and to understand his ability to inspire so many by his own creativity and generosity. I took this picture last Oct at Gene Winfield's. I thought it was ironic that he was signing a primered gray top when he was famous for outrageous color. But of course he signed it because he loved all things creative when it came to cars. And judging by old photos and some posts here I get the idea creativity and style defined and motivated him thoughout his life. From paint to clothes to the great looking ladies admiring his work, he was the king of hot rod cool. I'm really interested in learning more about him. I can't wait for the book on his life. Meanwhile my prayer to his family is that they are comforted by the wonderful Creator of all as they call upon the name of the Lord.[​IMG]

24. A great man and a great friend.. Larry will be missed. Rest In Peace.

25. injunjoes

injunjoes

Last year I had the road trip of a lifetime, from west tenn to socal for the winfield show. A long drive to say the least and so much anticipation to get there that I could hardly stand it. After hanging around Winfields shop the day before the show and meeting the legend gene himself,it was only a few hours away that i had waited 3 days of driving and over 2,000 miles for one day. And a great day it was, we got to the show early that morning and Gene being the super nice guy that he was introduced me to Watson and other 'heroes' of mine that I had only read about since I was a kid. I was so excited to meet all of these guys that I could hardly speak, I was probably visibly shaking, stomach tied in knots to say the least. Larry and Gene made me feel right at home as we talked (i was mainly listening in awe) about all things important, cars of course! I would just like to say Thank You To Larry (and Gene of course) for being the class act kind of guys they are, and taking the time to spend with a young kid from tennessee.

Thanks again Larry you will be missed

26. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

27. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

28. Every time I saw him in person, with that beard, I always thought "Mr. Cool".....What a talented dude.....