Register now to get rid of these ads!

Earl Scheib out of business???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans' Rod & Cycle, Jul 20, 2010.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I LOVE my Earl Scheib paint job :cool:

[​IMG]

reagen, sdluck and guthriesmith like this.
  2. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

i remember "any car..any color $29.95...and we'll throw in $10.00 free body work"

Bob Lowry likes this.
  3. Say it ain't so, Joe........

It sounds as if indivigual shops may stay open, just not affiliated with one another...

4. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Does that mean that the crappy 1970's Earl Schieb paint job on my 54 (with more runs than Jesse Owens) is gunna be collectable - in all its chalky glory?

SS327 likes this.
  5. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Usually I can spot a Earl Scheib job a mile away... usually.

Now that they are gone, jokes about them will mean nothing. So sad.

6. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Uh Oh Better get Maaco!

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

who'll be honoring thier warantys

unfinished likes this.
  8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Earl Scheib, an icon no doubt. A great competetor too. So many have tried to put him out of business, by disrespecting his work. Didn't work did it?:D

reagen likes this.
  9. I remember laughing at his commercial, offering the 10 bucks worth of free metal work. It cut to a Neanderthal, holding a giant, lit, rosebud torch and wailing away at a fender with a big ol' single jack hammer. Real craftsmanship

10. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

I remember helping my dad spot putty and sand his '59 Imperial after he removed all the trim before heading to Earl's place. As I can recall, it turned out pretty good. It was white!!!

reagen likes this.
  11. look at teh website....no warraties will be honored anymore by the new owner...I did take my first car, '68 camaro, to Econo-paint in Austin after I did all the body work, but that was high dollar 299 or something back in '87 maybe?....I still have teh car and it staill ahs teh same paint on it now, but the red is a bit more pink now...and yes in midst of full re-do.

12. I remember having to pay extra to get the door jambs painted as well...;)

reagen likes this.
  13. They painted my Bug Eye Sprite Turkey Turd Tan in '69.

14. Hell, I remember $19.99!! I worked there around 1972. I got 30 minutes and 2 sheets of 220 to sand a whole car. The guy who taped it got 45 minutes to do so.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  15. She is serious, but you are 180 off;)

16. perk30

perk30

I had two of my cars painted at Earl Scheib at different times back in the 70's. Think I paid a little more than $29.95 plus some extra to get the special paint. I seem to recall the earlier paint job was $59.95 and the later one something like $79.95. I do remember trying to get all the overspray off of the inside of the windshield and the tires but at least the car was all one color again...barely.

17. Bummer! I worked for Earl back in the sixties. If you did prep work yourself you could usally get a pretty good paint job...

reagen likes this.
  18. You scared me there for a minute. I was worried about Mike.

19. Well it's their own damn fault, isn't it. :( They should have kicked a few bucks in Denise's direction and used her car in their advertising! :D

I'd always heard that if you wanted a really good paint job from Earl Schieb's you had to make sure they took the broom over to the grinding wheel and put a clean edge on it! :eek:

20. Never2low

Never2low

Ohhhhhh, I love that pic Denise. Where was it taken? Or is that why they call it Telegraph road? Must be waaaaaay out of town....:D:p:D

21. andyapplegate

andyapplegate

i know of a white 70s truck that went to E.S. for a red paint job, it had one concrete block in the bed that the owner did not remove. guess what? the block got painted red as well. when he took it out you could see the white where the block had set. the owner questioned why the block had not been moved. evidently they made you sign a waiver that covered this type of stuff, when you dropped a vehicle off. im not sure but i think he paid 99.00 in the early 90s and it looked pretty decent, especially for a work truck.

22. the-rodster

the-rodster

I heard that he was gay ?!?!?!

Rich

23. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I had a 65 VW that I sanded and took over there.It really turned out good,except for a giant run in one door.Also did a 49 Caddy there one time.

24. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I remember helping my older brother tape up his impala, so he could save a few bucks when they painted it in the early eighties.

Kinda Funny.

25. silent rick

silent rick

and proud too

26. So...did he charge extra for rainbow paint jobs? :rolleyes:

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That would have been nice huh :D
    Thankfully the HAMB's own Earl Scheib is STILL in business in Hartsville, TN and ANYONE can get their bodywork and a paint job on their hot rod, custom, classic or daily driver done.;)

:D Just outside of Wendover, UT on the service drive out to the salt flats. Mike, Buick59 took this awesome shot, and a few others, last year during Speed Week. It's one of my all time favorites of Big Olds.

28. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i generally had good luck with his paint jobs although he did two of them over but one time i had him paint a white buick for me wanted it silver went to pick it up and it was white the guy told me i didnt pay for the metallic and he said this is silver without the metallic, what the hell it was white before

29. GuyW

GuyW

One of the Scheibs had a nice '34 phaeton...