Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Henry J gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemipwd41willys, Jul 11, 2010.

1. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

I am finally getting around to posting some pics of my Henry J gasser build. The inspiration for the build has come from my dads HJ that he ran back in the late 60's and early 70's at local area tracks. As i stated on my public profile i searched for a few months trying to find his car but no luck so started the build with a different car. I won't post all the pics of the build on here today, but will follow up from here on out with the completion of the car. If you guys would like to check out the previous pics of the build go onto my public profile and look at the album. But for now here are a few from the beginning.:cool:
    I finally got the scanner working so here are a few pics of dads car one from the mid 60's and 3 from the late 60's and early 70's when it was changed into and altered wheel base.

Anyways have a question for you all.

What do you guys and gals think about painting a car to replicate another, even though it is not an exact copy or replica? I am thinking of painting mine to look like my dads did. Just looking for comment so either way YES or NO i wont take anything personal. Thanks to everyone for their nice comments so far.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Awesome, keep us posted

3. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I like very nice

4. Mullins

Mullins

5. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Looks fantastic. I just subscribed.

6. Love it! Look forward to the rest of the build.

7. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

oh my,thanks now i have a terminal boner.

8. Nice build...

I saw a yellow one in PA driving next to I76, I'm guessing small tub and 28's or bigger in back, any of you guys on here?

9. modelamac

modelamac

Wow VERY NICE!
    Now you are getting me excited to start on mine.

man keep the pics coming!

Attached Files:

10. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

What are you going to do with yours, gasser street rod? Looks to be in very nice shape. Did you get the front clip with the car?

11. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Oh yeah! Bring it on....

12. Nice job on your HJ I have to start on mine this fall

13. Nice car. Since you asked about painting a car to replicate another..I would normally say no, but with such a personal connection, I would consider it more of a tribute to your Dad (and that can be a good thing).

14. modelamac

modelamac

What are you going to do with yours, gasser street rod? Looks to be in very nice shape. Did you get the front clip with the car?[/QUOTE]

Gasser... I've been gathering parts.

plans are 331 Hemi, buggy spring straight axle, spindle mount halibrands, 9" rear... bla, bla, bla

I do have the front clip, I'm going to try to start on it this fall...

that's why I really interested in following your build... I maybe asking some questions on how to's or what you did's during your build if you don't mind.

Your car has the look, and it looks like your craftsmanship and fab abilities are outstanding!

looks good keep us updated!

15. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Cool project! Keep us posted.

16. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Yes paint it like your popps old J

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love these Henry Js. Really like the way you did the floor bracing/body mounts/floor. Nice work. And I agree with AA/Fuel34fordpu....paint it like your Dad's was. Very Kool.

18. Looking to be a top notch build! Keep us posted.

19. Hellvedere Steve

Hellvedere Steve
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Coalfield

20. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Gasser... I've been gathering parts.

plans are 331 Hemi, buggy spring straight axle, spindle mount halibrands, 9" rear... bla, bla, bla

I do have the front clip, I'm going to try to start on it this fall...

that's why I really interested in following your build... I maybe asking some questions on how to's or what you did's during your build if you don't mind.

Your car has the look, and it looks like your craftsmanship and fab abilities are outstanding!

looks good keep us updated![/QUOTE]

Sounds like a very cool build. You will have to post some pics and build info once you get started.
    I would have no problem sharing info or talking with you about the build. Any help that i can give you, feel free to PM me, i will give you my phone # and we can talk that way. I am headed to the shop to pick the body up from getting its last coat of sealer primer and the bottom of the floor pans painted yesterday. I should have the body back on the chassis some time Sunday and will post pics then so check back.
    Also thanks to all of you for the complements on the work done so far. Everyone have a great weekend!:cool:
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> _____

21. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Finally got the scanner working. Posted pics of dads Henry J with the pics of mine on the original post.

22. 69fury

69fury

i like the replicas, recreations, and such. Your work is very nice. I do not like the look of that body with the altered wheelbase like that, though.

Henrys just look so badass with the normal amounts of overhang. Whatever you decide to do, i'm sure will be quality work.

-rick

23. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

I agree with you totally on the altered wheelbase. I am not going that direction, it will look as his did before the alteration. It has to be a gasser!

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

-
    Great. I bet the altered wheelbase version had a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground. :eek:

25. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Talking with dad he said it wasn't to bad to drive. But you had to pay attention to what was going on with the car. Said it wasn't off the line that would get interesting it was at the finish. The front end of the car would get real light and start to wonder a bit.:D

26. LDGn63

LDGn63

+1 for paint it like Pop's!
    Thanks for posting!

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very cool .... how are things coming along?

28. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

That paint job would have people swarming your car everywhere you went. Really cool!

29. violet springs

violet springs

Very nice build, I would paint it like your dads.

30. wild willey

wild willey

Dr Frankensickle.... I tink you may have just named da Henry J ..... "Terminal Boner" Hahaha!!! "Makes me giggle......OOPS" !! Now my Pants are fitten FUNNY UP FRONT TOO!!! "Rock on man..... WICKED RIDE"!!!