Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone BUILT a body from scratch??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MACKAZ, Jul 17, 2010.

1. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

2. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

thats all i did. i built the body for a buddy

3. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Cool.Is he building something out of it yet?If so I would love to see some pics,if you have time between building awesome handmade bodies.:p;)

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's a 2300cc Ford, and the rear will sprout a quick change here pretty quick when the weather cools a bit. I just realized those photos are kinda blurry, and you cant see the bead rolls at the tops or any thing. I just flat got tiered of looking for a touring front half that I could afford, so i made one. You could do the same with any cowl.

5. That Willys Jeep was built in the Phillipines

6. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

7. ahh :) The Tuesday night tub! I remember it well! Next time I'm over your neck of the woods I'll give you a call to catch up Jeff!! Say hi to Tok for me!

Paul.

8. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

I am about to start a body. I have a chassis. Still trying to decide on a design that I like.

Probably a roadster. I like that Howerton Indy Style Roadstster.

Any Suggestions?

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      482 KB
      Views:
  9. 193257

Here is the build thread for this truck. It will be in Salina Kansas this weekend. enjoy

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378992

10. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Sounds like fun with the four-banger.I've always liked how these sound with a glass pack and a decent amount of tailpipe,kinda like a British sports car.:p
    Gonna have a clutch,right?

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awww!! Ya got me! I worded my last response so carefully so NO one would know that I have an automatic in it! Trust me, that is basically against my religion, but originally when it got on four wheels my girlfriend claimed it as hers. Catch is, as much as I love her, She is not a complete human being because of her lack of ability to drive a car with a real trans! Right after she planted her flag on this car, car a louver customer offered to trade a completely rebuilt 2300/c3 combo for louvers so I said yes. And so there that trans sits. Now, when I set up the pedals in it, I did include a "dummy" clutch pedal, mostly for a foot rest. The good news is by drilling one hole I can bolt on a master cylinder and put a five gear in at will in the future. Good thing too, 'cause she has moved on to a Falcon Ranchero to play with. So yes and no! The exhaust is going to be a single 3" tube up the right side exiting just beyond the rear spring about mid wheel and fairly high. Should be great for the hearing! There has got to be some advantage to being half deaf... I didn't post a picture of the front suspension, just standard quarter elliptic and early ford stuff...

Attached Files:

12. deto

deto

13. BarryA

BarryA

Not too the standard of some on here, but heres mine:

Attached Files:

14. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

15. ap1930

ap1930

16. wow unbeliveable what you guys doing out of scrap

17. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

18. Mackaz.... There's a guy down here who's building a 36 3window coupe out of a totally crap 36 4 door sedan.... and it's his second one. He did one a few years back. While that's not building from scratch, and certainly involves some serious skills, it does demonstrate the possibilities available.
    Have a look through a wrecking yard, see the panels as shapes or forms, rather than what they actually are. Example, I've seen a couple of Model A speedsters where the boattail has been built by joining two early bonnets (hoods) together.

19. kingpins

kingpins

im building a scratch made body based off a model T and A. im a big guy and really wanted it low but wanted a model T style body. as we all know Ts are really narrow to a channel with a huge trans and drive shaft tunnel. so i built a card board body based off a real T body that i own. i used the same size firewall but widened the cowl as well as arched the cowl higher.i also love the flat back look of the trucks so i did that. i also stretched the body to keep from crunching my legs up. this is my first one. i built the body out of cardboard first then traced the 5 sides onto wood then wrapped it in fiberglass. i made the floor into the body so i when the car is fully completed i can disassemble the entire car in 30 min down to the frame. still in the body work phase. the waves in it would make you sea sick. but its getting close to being done. the frame is a bob tail 2x3 with buggy spring. front is ford drums with split bones.

Attached Files:

20. chrisser

chrisser

That's some fantastic metal work.

21. deto

deto

22. designs that work

designs that work

Trying to build a Phantom Woody Wagon from scratch. The only factory pieces are the front frame horns, Double AA truck for the numbers, modified for lower hight. The rest of the frame is 2 x 4 Rectangular tubing, 1 x 1 square tubing to hang the body on. The fourth generation pine body, pine is a lot cheaper then maple, until I get the body right. More photos in my album.

23. ap1930

ap1930

Thanks deto and hotrod metal for your comments. I am just about to head off to the A-Bombers weekend in Sweden in it. Should be a fun driving it through England, Holland, Germant and Sweden - hope it stays dry :D.

24. Mister Nasty

Mister Nasty

Good job Kingpins !!!! That thing is gonna look great!!

25. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Aluminum body...A little number I call the Thimble Drome Special...

Attached Files:

26. [​IMG]

Barry- excellent work! It reminds me of a Cord- do you have any more pics to share?

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Retroridesbyrich, Whate was you build thread called on the Thimble Drome special? I was looking for it the other day and couldn't remember. Super neato by the way!

28. Wow. Astounded by the replies, which is awesome by the way, Keep them coming!!!! Ive got about half the steel needed for my chassis, will by another length once the wife stops spending dosh on landscaping supplies Grr....

29. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

landscaping supplies ? dont you guys just burn your grass overthere?

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell, the biggest "landscaping supply" my female has dragged home lately is a '62 Ranchero - that of course, needs everything! Guess who gets to do everything?!