Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone BUILT a body from scratch??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MACKAZ, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Interested in collecting pictures of completely handbuilt bodies. Here in New Zealand early iron is priced right out of my budget, so yeah want some inspiration.... Thanks in advance.....

2. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Saw a hand built 32 three window coupe at Pukekohe swap meet many years ago ,it was all in stainless steel ! and it was a dirt track stockcar ! WTF ! Had a direct drive smallblock for power .weird but true .

3. fitzee

fitzee

I started to build one a few years back but it been awhile sense I touched it. I bent this up using one inch square stock on a home made bender on top of my bench.The body is based on a 27 Ford.I just scaled it up cause the 27`s were small.I have one quarter skin made and that is as far as I got.too busy at my shop to do any of my projects.But that is going to change!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oliver westlund likes this.
  4. I mocked this body up first in wood paneling and strappping. I cut and glued and shortened and modfied till I was happy. I went to Noronco Sheet Metals here in Belleville. i asked "can you duplicate this in Aluminum? He said "yes no problem." It did not take them long. Here it is on display at TO Perf Industry car show. It was easier than i thought. I started by tracing the side of a YJ jeep but then reworked it till if fit this Altered right. It will be on display at the Flatout Weekend in Shannnville I am told. It was sold before I had finished it but I did finish it for the new owner VC with his help which was considerable. The body was easy looking back i would do something similar without hesitation. My goal here was to build a Jeep Buckket rather than a T bucket. (Why? There is no reason. just idea I had that it could be done and would look ok.)
    Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010

5. Sawzall and I (along with a few other hambers) made this over the fall months a few years back. Lots of fun. - tok

Attached Files:

oliver westlund likes this.
  6. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Calling pat pryor...
    Also, my dad built this- he started with a basic 28 chevy frame and aside from that. the only real chevy parts on the whole truck are the fenders, splash aprons, grill shell, and hood. He made the doors and bed out of oak pallets and 3/4" steel tubing. Then made his own cowl. He built the whole thing for under 9000$. The most complicated tool he used was a 400$ MIG welder.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    Le' Gapster likes this.
  7. bigbubba

bigbubba

You would'nt happen to have the measurements handy would you?

8. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Mark Towell at Gothum Garage builds all kind of things and he hand building a Munster Koach

Attached Files:

9. metalman

metalman

The 27 roadster was built from scratch by Topcat662 on here. Even built the 32 style frame with the reveal by hand.
    P1010017.jpg
    Not completely hand built but 80/90% of this Vicky body I built. Used a 4dr cowl and tudor inner door frames and some salvaged window sections.
    32-1.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Kan Kustom like this.
  10. krooser

krooser

Saw a guy several years ago with a T-modified that started life as the back end of a Dodge full size van... he chopped off the back end, turned it upside down and started there... it was gorgeous.

11. fitzee

fitzee

Don`t have them close by but I can get them. what measurements do you want?

12. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

you could allways buy a wasted touring car and start with that i mean some sheet metal goes along way when your scratch building

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You wouldn't happen to have picture of your home made square tubing bending rig, would you? Those are some very nice looking bends.

14. Hickey

Hickey

This is a decent write up on bending square tube. There are pics of the jig/tool/bender part way down.
    http://www.metalgeek.com/archives/2005/05/01/000047.php

15. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

16. RocketSled

RocketSled

I judged a car show in Washington State in 2009, this Willys was there, handmade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. bigbubba

bigbubba

Height/width/length/how much taper from front to back.

18. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

It's not done yet,but everything on this roadster body is handmade,with the exception of the firewall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  19. fitzee

fitzee

I have that here are pics.It is just a homemade unit.All bends were done with this. I`ll be at the shop tomorrow and take the frame off the wall and take some pics with measurements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Thanks a heap guys!! Some great inspiration there!!! tokyo, that 4 seater that you guys built, can you give me a quick rundown on materials used, and/or any other info? That is EXACTLY what I want to built, EXACTLY!!!!!!!

21. [​IMG]

lets not forget this one. one of the best ive ever seen. totally hand made off a drawing by Keith Weesner.
    sorry cant find thread details.

22. sawzall

sawzall

tokyo mentioned this thread to me yesterday.. kinda funny I see it now..

here are all the photos I took of it.. tokyo may have more..
    http://public.fotki.com/sawzallshop/sawzalls-rides-past/sawzalls_shop_shop/

I was given the early pontiac dash which the body is based around..
    we used about 6 sheets of 18 ga (floor was in the car etc etc)
    built it ontop of a model a frame I had..

used a bead roller, small brake and a shrinker/ stretcher
    as well as a host of other hand tools..

23. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Fibergalss is what I use. you can build some thing crazy like me or pull a mold off a steel body. here is what I am building now. If you have any questions PM me and I'll do my best to help
    FRITZ

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. kustomchop

kustomchop

I used half the original cowl panel and 75% of the quarter panels. I was at a huge disadvantage because the body was previously hacked up way beyond repair. but the owner wanted it done.

Any guess what it started life as?

Attached Files:

25. morange

morange

26. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well I might as well throw mine in. I started with a '26-'27 roadster cowl, and the rest is all me... Well, that and a shinker stretcher, and a bead roller. Obviously not finished yet, but i peck away at it between paying jobs.

Attached Files:

28. sawszall youre a legend, thanks for the pics, i havent got access to a beadroller but everything else, might have to go the "smooth" look haha

29. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

30. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Need louvres?,
    That is looking real good,keep peckin at it! What's the drivetrain?