Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need an advice for my 36 Ford to put a quickchange backaxel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steverod, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Steverod

Steverod

Hi
    Like i said before i need an advice and your help to calculate or to choose the right gears for my winters quickchange backaxel .

Why i decide me for a quickchange is to drive with lower rpm on the highway,and if i need to let it go faster :) i reverse the gears
    First of all i have an 36 flathead with an italmeccanica blower,my gearbox is an 39 Ford with the Zephyr gears inside.
    I didnt open the backaxel so i am not sure if i have an 6 spline or 10 spine.It is the original back axel.
    I wont to keep it 40s 50s style like it is,so i dont know if i need to buy the SR3620 8 3/8” Early Ford V8 Center Kit from winters or the SR3605 8 3/8” V8 Center Kit(i can not find a big the difference between them)
    This is what i find out on Winters websit,it is this calculation module but it didnt realy help my.
    To Determine Final Drive
    (# Teeth Top Gear) ÷ (# Teeth Bottom Gear) x R&P Ratio = Final Drive

Thank you for any help that i can find from you guys.
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. Steverod

Steverod

i am pretty sure that there will be some body how can help me out ,no?

3. i think the place to start is to find out what gears you have now

4. Steverod

Steverod

5. Steverod

Steverod

Thanks ,how can i do this without taking the axle off?

6. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

i will say 4.11 gears 10 sline idid my 36 3 years ago 50 merc axles 3.78 rp halibrand center section closed driveline.3.30 gears would work pretty good. mike

7. so , i take it you don't know how many teeth on the drive gear/driven gear and the ring and pinion you have now? i think you need to find that out before making changes

unless i don't understand your question

nice looking car

8. Steverod

Steverod

Thank you,that will help me:)

9. Steverod

Steverod

Thank you for the nice looking car

Yes you are right,i will need to take it of before ordering.

But what i dont understand is how i can calculate the endspeed if i got all the right details of the ratio and teeth.

Where can i see your 36 3w

10. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, BUT...I think that you maybe should think about something a little more important than gear ratios, first. Do you realize that the quick change center section will not clear the rear crossmember in your beautiful '36 if it has not been replaced or heavily modified to do so? It's NOT just a bolt-together deal. DD

11. Steverod

Steverod

Oh , i know that i need to change the trunk,need to cut some metal outs so that i can change the gears.

But what do exactly not fit between the quickchange & the back crossmember.

12. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

The rear part of the quick change, the part that sticks out toward the rear of the car that houses the "change gears", protrudes farther toward the rear than the original rear end. It will hit the rear crossmember that your original rear spring is bolted into. A lot of people change to a high-arched rear crossmember like found in a Model A, or something similar. That is why you need to cut the floor in the trunk, because the crossmember and spring will stick-up through your trunk floor. You change gears from UNDERNEATH the car. DD

13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh cutting up that car????

Can you just swap the diff gears to something more highway friendly?

or

Just do it properly like the guys have said but that sounds like a body off mod.

14. On the banjo center, below the lowest drive tube bolt on the rib there will be 2 numbers one will be single digit and the secnd will be a double digit. You will have to scrape off the paint and brush it good with a wire brush to find the numbers. These numbers tell you the ring and pinion count. As for repacement gears you can run any thing that is available cause you have a quick change! You change the gears if its to low or to high. 3.54 ring and pion gear set is a good start and they are abundant fron speedway or Getz gear direct or from another dealer. Use the V-8 center and it will all work fine. Have you called Winters for their opinion afterall they build them. I personaly like the Rodsville quick change as it is a exact copy with improvents over the original Halibrand. They are priced well and THEY FIT! They use all the same bearings as the original Ford V-8 banjo axle. You can get them from The Hot Rod Works in Nampa Idaho. They are on line so look up the name. They can tell you what you need and how to do and sell you all the stuff to do it. I bought one of the Rodsville units from them and have been very pleased with it over the years and it looks great and for the look you want it would be much better looking under that car than any Winters Q-C. take it for what its worth but thats what I would do.

15. Steverod

Steverod

Thanks for the info,i gonna see first the ratio what i have.
    Never heard from Rodsville,gonna check their website,sounds good if i gonna change my mind.

Now i am glad that i ask you guys on the HAMB,i see better now :).I dont want to cut the floor out it will be to much modification,not that i can do it but for the love of the car i prefer not.

Like you said Panhead_pete i prefere to swap the diff gears that it will be more highway friendly;)