Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I spent a good share of this evening reading the entire build thread, it was very enjoyable. I am so looking forward to seeing your build completed, no doubt the Caddy will be exceptional...

2. mad-cad

mad-cad

Great stuff Roger,looking forward to seeing your caddy in the flesh/steel! probably at the Gunnison show.:D

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx BlackSheep...I appreciate it...and Mad-Cad, yes, you prolly will...I won't be going to the HAMB drags this year...my rod running funds are a bit short...

Ho-boy...you just keep working on your new '55...it'll get there...and Mick, I don't think it'd be good for me to park with the Mercs, I might PO some of them cuz I may "outshine" them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...

The front bumper arrived this morn from the plater's...a day late, but it's gorgeous...I'll shoot some pix and post the platers name and address later...

R-

4. kookee

kookee

Didnt think that I would like the color at first. I have to say though, it is beautiful. Really nice on the car! You have done an amazing job! Though there are some frustrating last minute delays, it will be a beautiful quality car for a lifetime.

Great job!

5. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Roger the Caddy is turning out beautiful. The interior turned out real nice and the trunk looks good too. Get out and put some miles on her even if shes not quit done. It will make you feel great . I know driving mine makes me feel good.
    Todd

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Thanx Double C, but it's hard to drive it when everything is not back on the car...

So, here's the last update before Salina...

Ain’t it a bitch…

Or,

The dreaded last minnit thrash …

It’s a real pita when you have to depend on someone else to get their part of the job done…isn’t it…???

Last update I told you the Dagmars weren’t going to get done…they didn't and I had to go get them, (3 ½ hour drive one way...it was actually cheaper than shipping them, other than my time) clean them, sand them up and paint ‘em silver…I couldn't simpy use another pair cuz I'd modified these to fit my grille), stockers weren't going to work. My "paint job" on them looks like dogshit…especially next to the polished grill…and the gorgeous bumper…but I’m bound and determined to drive the Caddy to Salina…and I’m not going to let a lack of chrome keep me home…

[​IMG]

Don't have the side grilles in place in this shot...

Speaking of getting let down…the glass shop is another…they can’t seem to get the front door side glass to fit properly…I have a quarter to half inch gap between the glass and the rubber seal on the rear quarter… “The rear quarter glass has to come forward,” the glass guru told me. I tried, it won’t cuz the roof rail stops it, and if moved forward, the door glass connects at the top when it’s closed, effectively cracking the glass when it’s closed. I'm sure the adjustment is in the door...has to be...somewhere, but I sure don't know how to do it...guess I'm going to learn...!!! Hate to put the door panels back on and have to take them back off...

So now what do I do…??? Roll the windows down cuz I ain't got no A/C anyway, and go to Salina...hope it don't rain...!!!

The windshield installation is nice tho, it fits nice and is really clear and clean…BUT, don’t let Steele Rubber ever tell you they have the best repro rubber around…their vent window seals SUCK…big time. They don’t fit, they don’t allow the vent window to open without the rubber curling under or not completely sealing and them SOB’s were $200.00 a pair…I’da been better off leaving the old hard stockers in…!!! Of course, I expect they assume one knows how to put them in...they don't bother to include ANY instructions with their rubber...and if I send them back, they'll yell it's my fault.

I got the CB in and working (after I blew out a fuse and couldn’t find which one was bad…but that’s just my luck…I was cussing a lot…!!!), and then managed to throw the CD player halfway across the garage, (by accident, I don’t get frustrated/mad enuff to throw things) of course, it’s so much junk now and I’ve got to go find a new one cuz I need my tuneage out there on I-70. I’d built a new “box” for it so it could go behind my old stock radio face, as I was taking it out to do a bit more modification, it slipped out of my hands and bounced four times on the concrete garage floor, hard…now it’s trash…!!! Way to go dumbshit!!!

When I took stuff off the car, I put everything in baggies and labeled it…think I can find all the pieces I need now…??? No…!!! I’m missing the stainless connectors that hold the stainless around the windshield…could I have taped them onto the stainless and sent them to the polishers…Sure, but how do I know that now…??? I asked my polisher if he had any extra parts laying around...he said nope...!!! They are missing, I cannot find them and I need them…Must have been the garage gremlins…yep, they took them and hid them!!! I’ll find them in December for sure, when I don’t need them…

[​IMG]

Side grille not in here, but the polish on the grille is nice, right...???

Has anything gone correctly at this point…??? Yes, I got the headlights and taillights wired correctly, the dash lights work, the gauges work…and the CB works with the new speaker I put in…and last nite I finally got the grille and new gorgeous bumper on and aligned…at least, it’s close enuff for this trip since the Dagmars have to come back off to go to the platers to finish the job they started way back on April 8th…!!! And the worse part: They expect you to pay for all that time...!!! BTW...and a disclaimer here...the guy plating the Dagmars IS NOT the same plater that did my bumper...see the story about the bumper below...

Speaking of that gorgeous bumper…I believe I told you I’d let you know who the plater is IF the bumper came out good…well, it surpassed my best expectations.

Here’s the story…I went to the GG’s event here in ColoRODo the first of June…one of the vendors there was advertising their plating…I examined partial bumpers hanging there and noticed they were doing copper plating as a step, something most platers don’t do anymore. I asked about it…”Yes, we copper everything and triple plate,” Steve told me.

He showed me some examples, needless to say I was impressed…I was also impressed (in my own mind) that the price would be astronomical…"Can you give me an idea of price for a ’55 Caddy front bumper?” I asked. “I’ll do better than that,” he said, “I’ll give you an exact price,” and with that he grabbed a three ring binder. “Caddy, 1955, front bumper lower center, right?” He said. I nodded and replied in the affirmative. His fingers did the walking down the price list until he came to 1955…”$310.00,” he said. “Serious?” I said, somewhat taken aback cuz the local Denver plater wanted $450.00 – without copper…!!!

“How does your stuff compare to “show chrome”? I ponderd aloud. “As good,” he replied. OK, I think coppering adds a needed depth, thinking I may have to spend some cash to get what I want…I figured out the cost of shipping in my head...about $40.00 each way …add $80 to $310 and we’re close to the other plater’s price, BUT, these guys use copper, I thot - better deal, better looking chrome. “How long, what kind of turn- around if I ship it out?” I asked. “Two week turn, three/four days of travel each way,” Steve said. “We’ll send Fed-Ex to pick up your bumper.”

WHAT…???

“You call us when you’re ready to send it, we’ll call Fed –Ex, give them a pickup tag and they’ll pick it up right from your front step, Stever said.” “Sure and you’ll add that price to the costs?” “No,” Steve replied, “we’ll pay shipping both ways.”

“Wait...!!! You’ll pay for the shipping both ways and not increase the cost of the bumper?” I stammered, unsure of what I just heard. “Yep,” he replied. “How can you do that?” I asked. “Cost of doing business,” he said. “Besides, if we do a good job for you, you’ll tell your friends…word of mouth is the best form of advertising anywhere.”

"You’re correct,” I said, “but it can also work against you if you don’t turn out a good product.” “We simply don’t,” Steve said. “OK,” I countered, “you’re on, I call you on Tuesday,”

Monday nite I boxed the bumper up and called Tuesday morn…Fed-Ex picked it up in the afternoon. That was June 8th…add two weeks, that puts it to the 25th of June…I went to Pueblo for the NSRA Nats that weekend (missed the debut of my Caddy at that event as well)…commenting to my bro the bumper should be arriving the next week. Sure enuff, the bumper arrived Thursday, July First…I could hardly wait to unwrap it to see if it really was “good.” I was shocked…it’s simply the best I’ve ever seen…FWIW, it had a dent in the driver’s side, looked like someone hit a parking block…told the platers it was there and asked if they’d work it out and how much… “included in the price,” they told me.” I can’t even tell where the dent was…

[​IMG]

As you can see, when you can read the newspaper in the reflection, you know it’s good…I’m happy and for once, someone I depended on got it done. IF you look real close, or enlarge this photo, that dark refelction is the grille and font end of a '59 Caddy.It's also about six feet away from this table and bumper...!!!

Now then, the plater’s company name is Ogden Chrome, out of Ogden, Utah…you can e-mail Steve at: [email protected], check out their website at www.ogdenchrome.com or actually phone them at 1 801 394-9449…I’d recommend them highly…

[​IMG]

So, now…looks like KKOA Salina will be the debut of the Cadillac…IF the new engine will get me there…I still have no miles on it (100 total) and it doesn’t look like I’m going to since I’m in last minnit thrash mode…and I hate that cuz I quit doing that years and years ago…too many things get left undone, not finished, uninstalled and untightened…leaves too much to our “friend” Murphy to find…and Salina is 7 hours from Denver…in the Kansas heat and humidity…

So, this will be the last update on the build…UNTIL the car is finally finished (are they ever…???) and is all back together and picture worthy…

I hope to see you in Salina…

R-

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. Lookin good Roger!! The satin dagmars look kinda cool for a temp deal.

I will bookmark the platers site, that bumper looks awesome!! It is hard to find good platers up here with all the environmental BS.

The last minute stuff never takes "minutes"!!! I can look at my Caddy manual for the door glass adjustment. Which door is it?

Bill

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Actually Bill, both doors...driver's side is closer to correct (gap at the bottom but not the top), but still not perfect (which I am far away from anyway...!!!). Any help would be sincerely appreciated...and yeah, you're correct...this last minnit stuff never just takes minnits...it takes hours and days...!!!

R-

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The silver bumpers don't look too bad, the pearl in the paint helps, they'll be fine for now.

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Lookin good Roger!!!!!!!!!!!! Think they'll pay the shipping from NJ? That piece looks damn good and it sounds like they are real businessmen, not cut-throats.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The only thing you can do Bill, is call and ask them. I never got the impression it was local stuff only anyway.

I sent the link to this thread to Steve when I posted it this morn...here's what he sent back to me:

Thanx Roger! We sure appreciate your endorsement.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry
    <HR>From: "Roger Jetter"
    Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:32:20 -0600
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: bumper...

OK Steve, told you I'd recommend you IF you're plating came out good...mite want to chek out the last page (updated) of my build...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&page=13

Thanx again,
    Roger Jetter

Give them a call...and let me know what they say...

R-

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey she is looking good that front end is pure butter.
    Kan't wait to see it... Can I get a ride around the park
    in the caddy? I've been practicing acting KooL. LOL!

Praying for ya for a kool trip.

Happy trails, mick

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  13. bryan6902

bryan6902

BREATHE, ROGER, BREATHE!!!! The 55 is awesome and the work you've done is extra-ordinary, sure it isn't 100% perfect, but it will be very soon. GOOD LUCK on your trek to Salinas!

14. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

The Caddy looks awesome Roger. No worries. It might not be just like you want it but it still looks Really good. Don't feel bad, I found out the heads on the engine for my Ranchero are shot and need completely redone along with the cam and timing chain. Only an unexpected $1500 to help things out. I feel your pain all the way but the Caddy really is lookin sweet. I am looking forward to seeing you and the car in Salina. Have a safe drive.

15. Im soooo glad you didnt go with yellow on the paint. Beautiful car and fantastic write up. I always look forward to your updates.

16. mad-cad

mad-cad

Well I'm sold on who's gonna do the chrome on my 56 caddy bumpers,that chrome looks deep enuf to swim in it!:D

Tim

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yes Mick, I'd be glad to let you take the "I'm Kool" seat for a couple laps around the park...

Bryan, I am breathing...really fast, I'm running out of time...LOL.

Johnny, sorry to hear about the Ranch-a rooo...maybe you should start earlier, FWIW, I tried that, it don't work all that good, I'm still doing the last minnit thrash...!!!

CG, thanx for agreeing with my decision, I don't think I could've lived with that much yello...

Mad-Cad, how's the body/paint work coming on your Caddy...???

Thanx for all the responses, I appreciate all the comments.

R-

18. mad-cad

mad-cad

right now...! Nada,soon though very soon it'll get some attention:D

Mad-Cad, how's the body/paint work coming on your Caddy...???

19. 69glee

69glee
    from Arizona

I have a 1955 cadillac miller ambulance. and I want to put 350v8 in it does anybody know if there is a built in kit for the motor mounts or is there a kit for it. and im also looking for the chrome strip on the pass fender if any body has this.

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I&#8217;m sure most of you that follow this thread would like to know how my Salina KKOA trip went, how the car was received and definitely why there are no pix of it on any of the Salina threads.

Well&#8230;it&#8217;s been one long week since Salina, and&#8230;

One excuse is as good as the next&#8230;and trust me, I&#8217;m up on all the excuses. I certainly heard about it when my brother&#8217;s Cad showed up at the HQ motel with me in it. At that point, there was no denying my Caddy wasn&#8217;t following him in to the park grounds, nor was it anywhere near. It started with: &#8220;Oh sure, that &#8217;55 Cad in your build thread is someone else&#8217;s&#8221; and then went to: &#8220;Now I know your &#8217;55 Cadillac isn&#8217;t really a real car, it&#8217;s a model you&#8217;ve shot pictures of. Looks real tho &#8221; and a few minutes later from someone else: &#8220;You shuuure had me fooled thinking you&#8217;d built a really cool Cadillac&#8221; and his pal: &#8220;YOU had everyone of us fooled with that HAMB thread&#8221; and finally, at the park Friday morn: &#8220;Since you&#8217;re an author, you can tell a really good story, but you&#8217;ve got nothing to back it up&#8230;I don&#8217;t see your &#8217;55 Caddy here&#8221; and so it went thru-out the day and into Saturday.

Weeee-ell-llll&#8230;for those of you that didn&#8217;t get to Salina, an explanation is in order, so, let&#8217;s just call this update:

AND HERE YOU THOT THIS SAGA WAS OVER & DONE WITH, DIDN&#8217;T YOU&#8230;???

Or, as BobK succinctly puts it:

EXCREMENT OCCURS&#8230;!!!

After completely busting my ass for the last two plus weeks putting the Caddy back together, and really looking forward to the Salina KKOA 30th Anniversary event, I can definitely say that excrement occurs (or for those of you that prefer plainer English -- "shit happens,") and I can feel right about saying it.

There are thousands and thousands of actions that take place in the assembly of a car, and as many parts. You can do the best you can to control each of the actions that you have some semblance of control over. However, try as you may, not every one of those actions will be absolutely perfect.

Unfortunately, it just takes just one of those uncounted thousands of actions to stop you dead in your tracks. If anywhere, HAMBers should understand this. Besides, when you do most of the work yourself, those uncounted thousands of items can sometimes go awry (Thanx Tom). It&#8217;s not like I planned a failure, I built this car from a dog that rightly should have been placed in a junkyard&#8230;and even tho it&#8217;s taken five years, the planning, and work, wasn&#8217;t shoddy at all.

Remember in my last post I told you I had to take extra care cuz our mutual friend, &#8220;Murphy,&#8221; would rear his ugly head at the first chance he was given. Well, this time that gremlin named Murphy was way out of my control (and maybe my engine builder&#8217;s as well).

Everyone at Salina has heard this story &#8230;I got to tell it many, many times that weekend, especially to all the people that were following this thread and expected to see the Caddy in the park, or at the motel, or at the drags, or at the least running around town &#8230;so, for those of you that didn&#8217;t get to Salina, here&#8217;s the whole story in sordid detail:

Midnight Wednesday&#8230;I was done. Done putting the car back together&#8230;needless to say, I was exhausted cuz I hate the last minnit thrash&#8230;it takes way too much to get it done&#8230;and most times, things don&#8217;t always go right so you have to do them twice or three times to make it look good or work like it&#8217;s supposed to. We&#8217;d been working on the Cad for a solid week after I got the carpet redone, putting in the grille and park lights, wiring everything, adding front inner fender panels, securing side and hood trim, interior windshield moldings, gauges, glove compartment door and box, CB radio, under dash panel to hold the A/C vents, screwing on the power motor hole covers in the doors and rear panels, putting on the roof scoops, glueing down the package tray, mounting the rear back rest and lower cushion after we put in the rear arm rests, attaching the door panels, door moldings, door handles and cranks, adding the faux wood grain, new bulbs for the dash and interior lights, building an in-dash mount for the stereo, and cover, putting the top of the dash back on, cleaning the new windshield and windows, balancing/mounting ww tires, slapping hubcaps on and the very last thing I did was to attach the fender skirts to the Caddy&#8230;I was ready&#8230;and tired&#8230;and yet, looking forward to the 7 hour trip.

I prolly didn&#8217;t say this enuff during my thrash, but I have to thank my bro for hanging with me to the very end working on the car and my friend from Wilcox, Arizona, Phil R. (Caddy- Man here on the HAMB) for helping me &#8220;get &#8216;er done.&#8221; Phil had come up to Denver a week early so he could &#8220;hang out with me and help put the car together&#8221; and then drive to Salina with us. I also have to thank my very good friend Ron B. for rescuing me.

Another person I have to thank is Bill (and Lori) out of Stratford, Ontario, Canada &#8230;when I was having trouble with the mis-alignment of the side windows, he shot copies of his vintage Cadillac book showing how to adjust them and e-mailed them to me&#8230;thanx Bill, we did get them adjusted correctly and they now work well. Too bad the rest of the car didn&#8217;t.

Anyway, after a short 5 hour &#8220;nap,&#8221; I rolled out of bed slowly last Thursday morn. Go time was 6 AM. I fired up the Caddy and backed it out of the garage. My pal Phil, backed his out of my garage as well&#8230;we were early but ready&#8230;my bro showed up at 5:45 and we headed for the gas station. We left Denver just about on time, heading east and looking forward to the drive. There were four of us in our little caravan, I was the last car in line cuz I like it that way&#8230;I like to look around a lot and being last in line, I don&#8217;t have to worry much about what&#8217;s in front of me and I can hold an even speed. Since the engine was new and only had 100 miles on it, I varied the speed in an effort to break it in properly&#8230;.at the same time, I didn&#8217;t turn on the stereo cuz I wanted to listen to the engine, make sure it wasn&#8217;t going to do anything strange. All the time my bro is calling me on the CB, &#8220;You OK back there&#8230;???&#8221; I was Ok, but something gnawed at my gut&#8230;something didn&#8217;t feel right and it felt like something bad was going to happen on this trip&#8230;I pushed it deeper into the back of my mind. I quietly hoped it wasn&#8217;t.

[​IMG]
    My long-time pal Phil R. out of Aridzona at speed in his Buick, that green fender in the foreground is my bro's Caddy, I'm a passenger.

Ten miles passed easily. Then twenty miles came and went without a hitch. Thirty-five and the engine seemed to like the hiway. Fifty miles from home, the car was running strong, sounding good and handling very well. I was beginning to get a bit more comfortable. The chatter on the CB picked up a bit more&#8230;our first stop, Limon, 80 miles from home was only 30 miles away at that point&#8230;we were to meet the ColoRODo Springs Lonely Knights there and run into Salina with them.

Seventy miles into the journey I was stoked, the engine sounded good and was strong&#8230;now I almost had 200 miles on the engine&#8230;I felt it was going to be a good run into Salina.

[​IMG]
    Local friend Terry L in his &#8217;41 Chevy at speed. Here's a better shot of my bro's Caddy fender...

Then I heard it&#8230;!!!

Sounded like a lifter rattling just a bit, I really didn&#8217;t want to hear it&#8230;but I didn&#8217;t have any tunege to turn down&#8230;and the CB wasn&#8217;t chattering&#8230;I listened a bit more&#8230;figured it might be OK if I&#8217;d give it a minnit. Not happening, not going away. I let off the accelerator hoping it would pump back up, gave it a minnit and pressed down on the accelerator. I glanced down at my oil pressure gauge. I&#8217;d been running a solid 50 pounds of pressure and all of a sudden it dropped to forty. I didn&#8217;t like the look of that. I let off again, nothing changed so I stepped down again. That&#8217;s when I heard it, a low rattling knock in the bottom of the engine. I called my bro on the CB, told him to roll his window down cuz I was coming up alongside him. Asked him to listen as I let off the gas and stepped down. I could tell by the look on his face that the sound wasn&#8217;t good, he shook his head, &#8220;doesn&#8217;t sound good.&#8221; We pulled off to the side of the highway and opened the hood&#8230;I started it up and it sounded like the whole bottom of the engine was coming loose. Not good at all. &#8220;I think the trip to Salina just got cancelled.&#8221;

I nursed the car the four remaining miles into Limon at about 20 mph&#8230;good thing there weren&#8217;t any CHP around. Right about the time we got there, the Springs bunch was pulling in so we weighed my options &#8211; twenty miles to the south lives a friend, we could park the car on his drive, IF we could get it there, it&#8217;d be safe til we got back (three hours killed and/ or completely destroying the engine on the way there), or, my bro and I could take his Caddy and go back to Denver, get his truk and trailer, load the Caddy and take it home (four to five hours killed but the engine would be saved), or, call my good friend Ron B to see how busy he was. The last option sounded best and I could ride back to Denver with him, park the Caddy in the garage and drive my Studey to Salina. Problem with that was it&#8217;d kill the whole day and I didn&#8217;t want to hold up our other two companions all day. I called Ron and it took a few phone calls before we got the &#8220;rescue&#8221; sorted out. My friend Ron B. has never let me down when I&#8217;m stuck somewhere&#8230;he postponed a sprinkler install job he had scheduled, called me back and told me he&#8217;d be there in an hour. Once he got there, it took 20 minnits to load the Caddy cuz it&#8217;s so low (I have no air bags on the car), and we had to remove the skirts to get it in the box. Ron asked me if I&#8217;d like to take his truck and trailer and haul the &#8216;55 to Salina, unload it in the park and let everyone, at least, see it. I declined&#8230;I&#8217;m not a trailer person, I&#8217;m a driver. If the car wouldn&#8217;t, or couldn&#8217;t, get there under its own power&#8230;it&#8217;d stay home. Besides, the Caddy is not a show car&#8230;it&#8217;s a driver and if I took it there, I&#8217;d want to drive it around, show it off&#8230;not happening&#8230;!!!

[​IMG]
    "Safely" enclosed in Ron's trailer for the ride back to Denver...!!!

In the meantime, I&#8217;d decided I didn&#8217;t want to drive my other car, I was slightly bummed. Dan suggested we toss all my stuff into his Caddy&#8217;s trunk&#8230;we could STILL go to Salina. No sense not attending the party just becuz I didn&#8217;t have a car to drive. Ron understood that so he&#8217;d take my Cad to his place, leave it in the trailer and I could pick it up when I got back and he&#8217;d still have time to do his scheduled sprinkler job Two hours later Ron headed west, we headed east, on the way to Salina.

Disappointed&#8230;.??? Saddened&#8230;??? Sure, but what could I do&#8230;??? There are very few things that make me angry&#8230;and this was something I could do nothing about so no sense making everyone around me miserable with some mean-spirited words, or display of wrench-throwing emotion (I don&#8217;t do that anyway). It happens. Murphy is always hanging around somewhere near&#8230;but as I was telling friends in Salina, shit happens for a reason. Could be my guardian angel knew something I didn&#8217;t and prevented me from making the rest of the trip, she was simply watching over me&#8230;or the good Lord just made the rest of my life a whole lot easier and if that&#8217;s the case, my prayers for my safe trip had just been answered and I hoped my guardian angel would ride with us on the rest of the trip. Regardless, at this point I&#8217;ll never know but I am positive she rides with us all the time.

[​IMG]
    Do I look happy here...???

Fast forward to today&#8230;at this time, I&#8217;m still upset at the Cad and it can sit in the garage in the dark by itself for the next few weeks before I get up enuff desire to tear into it (if necessary) for all I care&#8230;besides, this whole deal follows past ill-fated &#8220;debuts&#8221; for the Caddy : I&#8217;d missed the debut at Mick Bryant&#8217;s SK500 in Dewey, OK in May. I missed its debut at the ColoRODo GoodGuy&#8217;s event in June. I&#8217;d missed the debut at the NSRA event in Pueblo, ColoRODo, and now Salina has come and gone. What&#8217;s next&#8230;??? Will I ever debut the car&#8230;??? Will I ever know the reason I was stopped from driving my Caddy&#8230;??? Would it have been a major accident, a blown tire, someone getting seriously hurt...??? I don't know, will never know and it makes no matter at this time. As it is, the Cad will not make the Joplin HAMB drags this August, and/or the Gunnison Show and/or the Spokane GG&#8217;s event. I don&#8217;t think it&#8217;ll make Mick&#8217;s Starliner event in Wichita in September, however, the GoodGuy&#8217;s Scottsdale, AZ, event is far enuff off &#8211; November -- the Cad could make that one, providing the engine isn&#8217;t completely destroyed.

FWIW, I&#8217;ve called the engine builder and he&#8217;ll be over some time this next week to diagnose the problem&#8230;we&#8217;ll see what he has to say. I&#8217;ve shot pictures of the few items still needing chroming and sent them out to Ogden Chrome for pricing. I&#8217;ve still got some dash-work that needs to be done and the A/C never got installed in the car&#8230;and I&#8217;ve still got to go to Nebraska and pick up the rear bumper. I&#8217;ve got work to do yet.

Anyway, we had a good time in Salina, we had a safe trip, we had a good time talking with old friends and we met some great new people&#8230;and Dan&#8217;s &#8217;54 Caddy, our &#8220;sled&#8221; for the weekend, averaged 18.7 miles per gallon over the whole 1000 mile round trip&#8230;and that&#8217;s not bad for a 56 year old car.

And&#8230;as someone at Salina told me &#8211; &#8220;Now you have bragging rights.&#8221; I'm not convinced this is something to "brag" about...!!!

So, stay tuned, this saga isn&#8217;t over yet&#8230;!!!
    R-

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  21. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Oh .... that blows. Maybe its a sign?

I've followed along during your build & enjoyed it all - right up to the break down.

I hope the best & will look forward to the outcome & FINAL debut.

Best of luck.

Paco

22. That sucks Roger :( Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I hope the engine isn't hurt too bad.

Maybe you can get the bumper and other stuff chromed the way you wanted it and get all the details ironed out (later!) before it's "official" debut. I guess it is better to have a week or two to drive around town to work any bugs out.

I was all set to go to the drags one weekend with my old Fairmont. I got this real bad feeling that morning saying I shouldn't go. I decided not to go. Not sure what gave me that feeling or what would have happened but I'm glad I didn't.

Take some time off and if I can help in any way, let me know!! You'll get the old girl going yet!!

Bill

23. Dang, Roger! So close!

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Well Roger, look on the bright side. YOU finished the car in time for Salina. The only thing that kept the car from being there couldnt have been more out of your hands! Now at least you'll be able to take your time and debut it when YOU feel its 100%. Good luck, I know its going to be killer.

25. ScottV

ScottV

Hey Roger, all I have to say is ...

Coupe de Wow !!!

I used to be a Police Officer in Aurora, CO

26. Don's 55

Don's 55

Sorry to read about the bad news, been following this thread for a while.
    I have a fondness for 55 Cads too.
    My Mom had a 55 Coupe Deville, It is the first car I drove with my new permit at 15 and 1/2 yrs old.
    We drove it from California to Maine in 1971 towing a tear drop behind it.
    The workmanship you have shared with yours is awesome.
    You'll get this sorted and will soon be back on the road.
    Remember its the journey, not the destination that is to be enjoyed.

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just found and read this thread all the way through. This car is absolutely stunning and I'm looking forward to see it all come together. I admire your perseverance Roger, and I'm real disappointed the engine let you down. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the Fram oil filter. Years ago two engines I built failed because of defective Fram filters, and I had to eat the cost of repairs. I will never use Fram filters again.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  28. Ghost28

Ghost28

Dang so close. I heard about it prolly before it was in the trailor. Well at least you still made it to the show with your brother and his car, even with all the ribbing it had to be fun. Convoy said it was a blast, and he will be going back next year. Hopefully with his model A. Awww hell that caddy shows great even in a trailor.

29. X2!!

Bill

30. Really nice and cool looking Caddy. Sad to hear abouth the engine touble tough.