Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Sons Model A with tail finns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Docfranknstein, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'60s show-rod maaaan. I think this type of rod will become more popular in the near future...a revisit to that era. And even though it doesn't represent the '30s/'40s/'50s/early '60s styles that most of us prefer, it'll open up a whole new bunch of possiblities for new rods of that type. I like show-rods...I think they're cool in their own right. Lots of glimmering flake, chrome, and some crazy styling ideas is fun. And enough time has passed, that they are quite historical.

I like the Chevy fins, and agree with those who have suggested to go further with the show-rod styling. That front axle is far enough forward to accommadate a pretty deep custom-moulded grill-shell with some integrated headlights. Paint will help bring this build together...and the right wheel/tire combo. How about a pearl-white diamond-tufted top-insert to match the interior? I always prefer a healthy chop, but that's just a preference.

Doc...it's cool that you and Sleepwalker share the hobby...and really nice to hear a father speak so highly of his son. I'll bet the feeling is mutual. Proper due respect to him for his service, and good luck to the both of you and your flying Model A...LOL. :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Wow, just when you think you have seen about everything done to these old gals, something like this pops up.
    I like it. Very original thinking, and well done..
    Give your son a kudos for serving our country.
    God bless him !!!!

3. Gerg

Gerg

very cool and different i like it alot

4. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Gotta angle chop it now. Loads of chrome and flake . If done wrong it could look " rattish"

5. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

Beautyfull, I mean really! Lots of work and imagination.

6. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Wouldn't that be "Holy Sh*t! BATMAN"......

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I dig it! Keep doing what you're doing.

8. Saw one with a rear section just like that about 3 years ago at hot august nights. Damn, can't find the photo!

9. movingviolation

movingviolation

I gotta say..........

I've thought about something like that...and i think it is really wild! I like it....alot!

10. Rev. Whitewall

Rev. Whitewall

Thanks to your son for his service.... The car looks good. Not something I would have thought of. Nonetheless, it's turning out well....

11. kruizin

kruizin

I think it is one Kool ride my friend...through a gallon of paint at it soon!!!!

12. wally55

wally55

Nice to see that there are people that can think outside the box.Bitchin ride,keep us posted

13. It looks like a model A hotrod with a cape!

14. crapshoot

crapshoot

thats neat , i agree with the 60's show car, that needs a quad headlights molded on the side of the grill and a kick ass two tone Roth styled paint job with some heavy flake

thank your boy for what he's doing over there we really appreciate it

15. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Go all the way,
    Cut the top off and make a plexi-bubbletop for it.
    TP

16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool car . Tell your Son Thank You for his service .

17. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

theres something in the water over there but im sorta interested to see where this goes :cool:

18. zep058

zep058

Have you got any other custom touches planned?

I like it, just wondering if a custom grille, maybe what rustynewyorker suggested and a bit of a chop would tie it all together.

19. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

My Son will be pleased with all the interest, good and bad, after all We like to shake things up, play'in it "safe" is not Our style, We understand that this may be too wild for some but that's what makes the world go round. When He can We will get back on this and some quad lights like My Krazy Truck ( the one in My avatar) or something like that will surely end up on the front, I agree that a chopp would be nice,( My 32 is chopped 5 inchs) but Sleep is 6'2 and I know We plan on drive'in alot, so We will have to see, about other plans My Son is think'in metal flake and a super charger, We already have the chrome reverse wheels, We just need some wide white cheater slicks. Von Doc

20. Dave B.

Dave B.

To continue the theme, how about cutting a '59 grille in half and trimming the two pieces to fit side-by-side (upright) in a radiator shell, then attaching '59 headlights 'over-and-under' (Ala Kart style) on the sides of the radiator shell?

BTW, good job on the metal work! Not really my cup of tea, but no one will ever accuse you of building a cookie-cutter coupe!!! :p

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Anyone bannish guys like that to the east coast anymore???

Just joking good work

22. wow! that is different.

23. S.F.

S.F.

nice early cragar steering wheel. Rare piece right there.

24. S.F.

S.F.

oh....you may want to replace top with bubble.

25. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Yeah We picked it up at a swap meet one year, gave 5 bux for it and it had never been on a car, the Guy had owned a speed shop and when He closed He packed His stuff and put it in storage, We have been gathering things for His build since He was a kid, and yep that's a 57 Chev dash. By the way Travis sez that Iraq has the best MountianDew soda, it has no high fructose corn syrup in it just straight sugar, He and His group call it Durka Dew, cause half of what the natives say sounds like durka durka durka to Them. Von Doc

26. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

That's what is great about the good ol' USA you can do what you want when you want (for now) and it doesn't matter if it's in good taste or not.

27. Over the top does nothing but stick out like a sore thumb " Less is More "

28. Damn thats cool! Definitely not the same old belly button model A. Thanks for being different and original.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Like some of the other guys have said...as long as you're pointed in the 60's show car direction....go with it full bore. I love your son's plan to run a blower. I also think a canted-headlight grille [ala, ala kart] is definetely in order...complete with drawer pull knobs. ...and a white roll and pleat top insert with a "frieze" [sp] interior used widely in 60s show cars. Oh yeah, baby! Gotta have highly polished astro's with whitewalls...thinlines....and spider caps! Maybe even a pair of 58 merc turnpike cruiser antenna's in the A pillars. Gotta figure out how to mount a pair of those 59 chevy fresh-air grilles someplace in the car...the mesh ones that went above the headlights.....and a backwards roof scoop ala 58 Impala...and tons of chrome on the engine and suspension with flake paint.

30. I LIKE this!!! Man, you talk about unconventional AND traditional custom, this one is it out back, for certain!

Now, I would've never thought to have done what you have on the deck and the dash. You are certainly doing a great job in pulling off a truly one-off look.

Me likes!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.