Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1955 Chevy Gassers Owners Wanted? Post them Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Cool! Still got the skinny Cragars up front too! What color was the car back in the day?

2. choke

choke

It currently runs C/GAS nostalgia w/ 9.60 index. It was a street car back in the day. It was painted a maroonish metallic red originally.

3. choke

choke

It weighs 2997 lbs. w/ driver. It should be making at least 850 horses with the new motor.

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

One of my first Threads! I love that I can come back to this thing and it just keeps getting better and better all the time! Sharing at its best!

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

It looks like it was tubbed in the 80's as well...will you eventually undo that?

6. choke

choke

Unfortunately it was put on a rectangular tube chassis in the 80,s w/ full aluminum interior. I don't own the car I've just been doing the fab work for the new owner Bill Cileo. He's a HAMBER. I think this is as far as were going to take it this time around. We ran the car up at Sacramento Raceway yesterday, but had fuel or ignition problems. The car launches like a raped ape w/ big wheelstands but shuts off when it gets to the top of the wheelie.It still had a .145 60' shutting off at the 20' mark and coasting thru! All we could do was punch it from mid track and at least get some MPH to see how the new frontend handled. We got it up to 134 MPH and it felt good. Those transverse leaf front ends on drag cars can be a little scary on the top end,but it handle like a dream. Nothing like 12 degrees of caster and a steering dampner!!!!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  7. Heres some pics of my 55 at the nz nostalgias held a few weeks ago.....

Attached Files:

8. BBMan

BBMan

This is a little late, but here's the rear wells I did on mine in the early '70's. Didn't like the circular cutouts everyone had, so put a set of front wheelwells on the rear.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  9. senior fried

senior fried

This time I think you are wrong, they are like good looking woman, the world has room for a whole lot more !!!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  10. 6erwebb

6erwebb
    from Nashville

I hate to quote this anymore as its been done a hundred times already, but how is the front suspension set up on this 55? I see the radius rods and drop axle but I dont see any leaf springs. Just shocks. Anyone wise to his setup?

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Thanks senior fried, I hope I am wrong this time! :D

12. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Looks good that way too. A little different than everyone else just enough that it catches your eye.

13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Is there a transverse leaf in there? Almost looks like one behind the axle.

14. 6erwebb

6erwebb
    from Nashville

Thats what I was thinking but its not clear enough for me to be certain, I saw this car and thought " now thats the stance I want". haha I GOTTA KNOW.

15. BBMan

BBMan

Here it is for real.... 1972.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  16. chris55

chris55

[​IMG]

I like the looks of that. Any more pictures of the whole car?:D

Chris

17. BBMan

BBMan

I wasn't smart enough back then to take many decent pics.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  18. chris55

chris55

^^^^Thanks BBMan^^^^

19. BBMan

BBMan

Local car show....

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  20. Ringleader

Ringleader
    Alliance Vendor

Nomad quarters are being used by guys now instead of radiusing the fenders because if you need quarters anyway then there you go... Done in 1 shot otherwise if you want to just radius what you've got then 55xgasr hit it right on the head for what you need to do. As for wheel and tire setup that should either be do in mockup 1st or very last after the fenders are done and it all varys on your rearend setup. I chose not to radius mine just to be alittle different but I had to mini tub it a bit plus I'm running a halibrand quickchange.... Good luck on yours.

21. lorodz

lorodz

heres mine updated
    [​IMG]

22. PSB

PSB

Rt66 or life in the bay area.
    Sunday 2010. saw this spot and it just seemed like it was from the past........

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  23. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

God I love that car.

24. unklgriz

unklgriz

Ummmm ya, that is a georgeous '55.

Larry

25. PSB

PSB

Thanks so much! She is my 1st car in 1970. She was in storage for about 29 years. (time flys) WILD55 and I appreciate your enthusiasm. I love her too. Alot of folks dont get her at the Goodguys shows. Thay walk right on by her to some shinny paint. Her is another for ya.
    Thanks and Take care
    peter

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  26. Butch M

Butch M

me too..

27. wild willey

wild willey

LoRodz BITCHEN!!!! Way KOOLSVILLE!!

28. Peter, I GET your car! If you have to explain it they wouldnt understand. Damn, that is a cool color, and a cool 55. Dont worry about those who dont get it, cherish those who do. Those that do will talk to you untill the sun goes down and you will have heard lots of their old stories. Thats the best part of the conroderie.

29. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Exactly--you have to "get" a car. I sure as hell get this one. The slots, the stance, the chromed A-arms, the whole damn thing. People walk past my '55 too so don't fret! One in ten will stop and check it out and even fewer people will see it for what it is. Those are the "I get this car" people--like US.

Cleaned up the pic a little:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  30. Butch M

Butch M

everthing about that 55 is cool I damm sure get it.....