Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The danville dukes ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rod and Wheeler, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

Who are the Danville dukes and what do they do. I see the plaques for sale in the speedway catalog. what does it take to belong . Are they street rodders and are they approachable. Is it a club? Do you have to have a car?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no meetings, no dues and everybody is president.

3. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

If I buy a plaque from Speedway I can belong ?

4. Good grief !

5. M.Edell

M.Edell

lol..I know a couple of those guys, I sold one of the members here locally a real nice 56 Olds a couple of years ago.They are mostly guys over the age of 65..lol

6. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one ..... ?

[​IMG]

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, anyone can be a member-they are not a H.A.M.B. friendly club-mostly old guys that are more into how much you spent than how much you did yourself. they have a regular breakfast get-together, but no ladies allowed. Gary Meadors, of the GoodGuys organization was an original, so they get special attention from the GG. The coolest member ever was Billy B. (Burnham). better off joining the "Lone Wolf" club.

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

Well Said!! I agree!;)

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Buy Gary Meaders Cronicles book. The whole story is there and I am the centerfold.

10. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

THe Dukes do have a lot of us old guys who have been into hot rodding before you were even born, there are gold chainers in every area of our sport and all ways will be, before you put a group down for their age look at who your talking about, Gary Meadors, Tom Walsh, Steve Moal,The Brizo's, Bill Burham R.I.P., and so many others who love cars, there are Bonniville 200 MPH members, Grand National Hall of Famers, contenders for the GNRS, and you've got a lot of icon's of hot rodding in this bunch. What were you doing 40 years ago? we were going on rod runs, drag racing and building hot rods.........................:D

Austinrod likes this.
  11. Respect the group, lost respect for the late Bill Burnham over his rant against bicyclists, he sounded like an ignorant fool. RIP Bill.

12. Right ON!!!!!!! the "Dukes" have always been fun to be around,maybe not what the youngsters here think of as old school but they are true founders in some areas of our hobby...........These guys were doing it when most were drippin down daddys leg,and thats fine but please show some respect to the guys that gave us this hobby,Me Ive only been at this since the early 70s so Im not even close to their level,hell Im still wearin a silver chain cause I cant afford a gold one.................When you meet them you will cant help but like most of those guys......

13. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Dave Allen, owner of the Boyce Asquith roadster (who's recovering from his crash) is a Danville Dukes member.
    Want respect- show some.

14. Chuck R

Chuck R

I used to go to the breakfast about 10 years ago or so. They were all gear heads and had been doing it forever. I always had a good time. A lot of very nice people having fun with hot rods. I miss the whole thing each week end.
    chuck

15. They sound like a great bunch of guys (some of whom I knew back in the day) and well worth getting to know and learn from their experiences. I started doing a similar kind of thing almost a half century ago, when as a kid, growing up in SoCal, I went out of my way to meet some of the greats in hot rodding and motorsports that I read about in magazines and saw on TV.

They were all pretty happy to have this precocious, inquisitive kid hanging around and ask tons of questions. I learned heaps from these guys and felt honored to have known them. Now I am passing on that knowledge to another generation, like my young next door neighbour when he's working on his rice rocket and, of course, my car-crazy grandson and his friends.

Give these old guys some respect and you'll be rewarded tenfold. It sure worked for me all those years ago. :D

16. 61TBird

61TBird

Not unless you have the "Stugots" to back it up...:rolleyes:

17. Why? Did ol' Burnam poke fun at the shiny butt pants?

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said!!!-----Billy B was one of a kind!---I know most of them too!!

19. Bill Burnham was fighting fantasy history more than 20 years ago, unfortunately he's gone but the fantasies continue.

Old guys who have been in the hot rod thing all their lives have seen god knows how many fads come and go. But the essential thing is what they have lived has been a continuum, they didn't just jump in last week.

20. howco

howco

We were hot rodding, before you could buy a thing aftermarket.....
    I remember when we used this 'new' product for floorboards in a 34 coupe a neighbor and I channeled ------plywood.

Ooooooo, it was 1962.

21. I remember that column. I'm sure he was just goofing on them, hell, he busted balls on just about everyone at one time or another!:)

22. rick finch

rick finch

Bicycles.....really? Come on, next thing ya know I'll find out he didn't like skateboards either.....:rolleyes:

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

[​IMG]Danville Dukes:Gary Meadors, my good friend Clark Kibler and Bill Burnham
    [​IMG]
    Same guys, different pic. The silver roadster belongs to my buddy, Clark Kibler.

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

These guys have been around seems like forever . When hot rodding became STREET RODDING the predominate names of the group started to become household names as the west and east coasts became as one. Met Bill Burnam at the same NSRA meet as Pat Ganal, enjoyed talking to both. At 65 years old I'm not easily impressed by "rock star" personalities but both of these guys left a positve impression.

Frank

25. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Coors? Where's the PBR- like back in the day? ;)

[​IMG]

26. Coors, tha Banquet Beer!

27. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Ya know...There are rules we get to make and there area rules made by The Big Rule Maker and one of the most important His Rules is this:

All young people end up being old people. This happens with remarkable, even unbelievable speed. Sooner than ya'll might think, you wake one day and realize that your mind no longer tells you body what it's gonna do during the day.... Your body has taken the helm and, regardless of what you might want to do, you're only going to do what your back, hips, and knees give you permission to do. At that precise moment in life the realization hits... The light bulb goes off... the switch get flipped.....YOU are becoming an Old Guy.

The next realization occurs when you discover that, somehow, amazingly, a new generation has grown up and is taking over the whole damn world and to make matters worse, They tend to look at Old Guys as though they're just a necessary annoyance and pretty much useless. The transistion is now complete. You've entered the OLD GUY ZONE and are about to revert back in time to being just plain stupid, at least in the eyes of the dreaded New Guys.

It was not long ago...not long ago at all, actually... that I and a lot of the rest of us old bastards were young. Most of us were trying to learn everything we could about cars and how to build 'em. We did it by hanging around with anyone would have our sorry asses in the same shop space. In order to make that work we had to earn our way by showing respect to those who we looked up to and who, hopefully, would help Show Us the Way..We usually discovered pretty quickly that respect was a stream that flowed in both directions, not just one way.

Regardless of what is thought of Old Guys like Bill Burnham, The Brizos, Gary Meader and the rest of the Danville dukes, and, in fact the Old Guys everywhere, is that they've paid their dues, much the same as many Young Guys are doing now.

They've earned and deserve a measure of respect, even if they aren't as smart or as a good a builder as you might be, or your youthful exuberance leads you to believe.(The word you being a generalized term here and not directed at anyone in particular)

Now it's our turn to try and help the next generation learn how to swing a hammer without smashing a thumb (metaphorically speaking). That's not to say old guys don't have more to learn either, because (here's another one of the Big Guys' rules) learning never stops.

28. M.Edell

M.Edell

WOW..That was well written..A+++!

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The article they're talking about was how road bicyclists Continually scream about equal rights to use the road, yet don't bother to obey any of the traffic laws. I thought it was brilliant then, and I still think of it every time I get stuck behind a bunch of jerks who have no problem clogging up traffic in a down town area, and seem to invariably turn in front of me at will. I own several antique bicycles, and ride them frequently. I don't dislike bicyclists in general, (well the silly clothes and spaceman helmets...) but in packs around here, aaarrrggg! I sure miss Bill

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Rich Wright, That was well put!