Register now to get rid of these ads!

1941 Ford LIMOUSINE - ever SEEN ONE ??? HERE SHE IS !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipperman, Jul 9, 2010.

1. skipperman

skipperman

Long story.... short version... A buddy was sellin' a Falcon project .. the guy buyin' it knows a guy that knows a guy...etc, etc ..... Says "41 Ford Deluxe LIMO for sale" he knows of .... I go there to see ..... and DAMN -- It's REAL !! I ( borrow cash from a couple buddies) BUY IT !!! Trailer it back and she starts up almost INSTANTLY !! Runs GOOD !! SOLID as a BRICK !!! It was built by the Siebert Coachbuilders in Waterville, Ohio ....... now ... anybody know anything about THIS BEAST ???? I'D really LIKE SOME INFO IF POSSIBLE ... BAD NEWS IS I MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO KEEP IT ... YOU KNOW , WIFE, MONEY, MORTGAGE, THE PREZ ... ETC ..... But if I CAN ... I'd LOVE to have some history ...... here's a couple shots .. I'll post more later ........ UNUSUAL HUH ??? I have NEVER seen one before and I HAD to jump on it .........and she's 99% COMPLETE !!!!!

....... Jersey Skip

Attached Files:

2. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I know a guy that owned one a few years back and he claimed they were actually used as airport cars to transport people from the parking lot to the planes.

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

maybe made for the armed forces , or president , considering it is a '41 ............. steve

4. skipperman

skipperman

I'm thinkin' MILITARY .... 'cause there is a front seat, NOTHING behind the HUGE suicide door... then a back seat .... so NOT for airport use........

............ jersey Skip

5. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

i think that they used those in the 60's to transport hippies to rock concerts. however, the paint jobs were less conservative.

6. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I love '41 Fords. That one HAS to be super rare. Too Cool!

7. ARVCo.

ARVCo.

My vote is for government service, and let us know when you confirm the actual history!

8. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Nah they were used to sail to and from small Caribbean island nations:

[​IMG]

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Seeing it makes me want the 50 chrysler limo I had back.

10. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Too much chrome for military use.........Then there is the black paint......

11. Siebert has a long history of building professoinal vehicles. Check the floor for evidence of additional seat mountings that have probably been removed.

12. The Shop of Siebert was formed in 1853 to produce buggies, carriages and wagons for the Ohio farm community of Waterville, which was located 15 miles south of Toledo. They enjoyed a good reputatiion and soon began producing commercial carriages and hearses for businesses in nearby Toledo, Ohio and Detroit, Michigan. By the late 1880s production was focused on delivery wagons and hearses. In the early 1900s they started building bodies for motorized commercial vehicles and even manufactured their own assembled light truck called the Siebert between 1911 and 1916.

For 1935 Siebert offered the Ford V8 Sedan Bus, an 8-door airport limousine made by chopping a Stock Ford Fordor Touring Sedan in half at the B-pillar and stretching the chassis to 190" and installing the four extra doors in-between the split B-pillars.

Academy Award-nominated actor Wallace Beery owned a 1936 11-passenger Ford V8 Sedan Bus by Siebert. Painted black, it included the optional covered roof rack, and was used for camping and hunting excursions.

The new Aerodynamic Ford front end treatment made for some great-looking 1937 Siebert coaches. When equipped with the wheel spats from the Deluxe V8 sedan delivery, the Siebert bodies complemented the new V-shaped grills and oval headlights and were one of the best-looking coaches available, even though the were based on a light truck, rather than a luxury car chassis. Siebert coaches complemented the new 1939-1941 Ford styling and sold quite a few Ford and Mercury ambulances, hearses and service cars to cost-conscious businesses and municipalities prior to WWII. Ford's introduced new styling in 1942 and the resulting Siebert-Fords began to look more like the stretched panels vans that were based on than the car-like Sieberts made in the late 1930s.

And on and on...Google search....

Cosmo

13. paintcan54

paintcan54

Traded my '41 off three years ago, still have a soft spot for them, that is sweet I like it.

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

What a delightful car....find out as much as you can about THAT specific car - likely NOT an airport Limo (seat count), or military application (way too much bling). Perhaps there's some paperwork from the selling Ford dealer? Paper trail from DMV in a few states?

Tell your wife......uh....ah, never mind....you'll just wind up sleeping with Fido.

dj

15. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Have you looked under it? I'm curious about the drive line. Does it have one long torque tube or is it a two piece open drive shaft? Does it have normal Ford suspension in the rear? What transmission-column shifted three speed or a truck box?

16. plmczy

plmczy

Dodge made a 7 passenger limo back then. I have parts to a 1940 7 passenger limo which includes a 2 piece drive shaft. later shawn

17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

18. billsat

billsat

What a time capsule that one is - it would be a shame to have to sell it. I would think movie studios would love to have access to it - it would be a very unusual date stamp on any movie with a WWII or 1940's setting.It would have to be one of the rarest vehicles of its type still driveable anywhere in the US, and probably the world.

19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Is there just a driver's seat up front? If so you probably have gotten a hold of what is called a first call car. Funeral homes would use these for the ritzy parts of town when a family would be appalled to have a hearse in their driveway. The funeral home attendants would place a stretcher in the big suicide door.

20. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

i love this thing!! love to know more history on this one.

21. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

this one was for sale awhile back. said it was an ambulance. too cool.

Attached Files:

22. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I seen a 1940 in a guy's garage like that. It was called the Whipple Stagecoach. It was used as airport limo in the day.

23. skipperman

skipperman

To answer some questions..... yea.. 2 piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing ... and no-- NOT a " first Call hearse...has NO back door ... and a rear seat ..... anybody know WHERE to research this ?? I found the site but no info on specific cars ..... Another thing ... has what seems to be a FORTY-ONE 24 stud motor but with 59 AB heads .... not being a flathead guy .... WHAT IS THAT ABOUT ???

....... jersey Skip

24. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I don't think you follow me. It is not intended to be a hearse. It is designed that way to not attract attention to the house where the death has occured. The other attendant would sit on the back seat. and the stretcher would be put in the side of the car. These are also known as Invalid Coaches. Used to transport invalid people on a non emergency basis i.e. bed ridden patient to the doctor for check up or the dead.

25. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

My vote is Military staff car. My grandad supposedly built them

(if you got one of his, I'd check it out real good and fix his screw-ups :))

26. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

27. original patina

original patina
    BANNED
    from Texas

Possibly, though doubtful. There would be evidence of asymmetry between driver and passenger sides for loading a wheelchair between ramp access and B pillar. Invalid coaches were also typically not stretched wheelbase.

A Sedanambulance is out. They were likewise not on a stretched wheelbase.

You have a very cool and infrequently seen prewar Siebert limo. I concur that the jump seats have been removed at some point and evidence of them originally being present is there if you scrutinize. I doubt it was military for a few reasons. Wasn't an airport limo either. More likely a funeral home owned it new to match a Siebert Ford fleet. I've only ever seen a couple Siebert offerings in person over the years - '39 straight end loading hearse and a '40 first call car. Both were impressive.

Siebert company info is quite thorough on coachbuit.com.

Congrats on your acquisition, btw!

28. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

It is an ambulance,not a limo.

It would be called a side-loader.

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

30. skipperman

skipperman

With a BACK SEAT ??????????????????????? and NO rear door ????

....... jersey Skip