Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Man that thing is looking good! I love the pic with the '59 just peeking out.

2. sdh4194

sdh4194

here's dave humphrey in 1958 with the lynch urc hillegas sprint car. after winning over 100 stock car races in new england he raced the urc for 3 years winning 8 features then returning to new england to win 6 nema midget championships and over 60 midget events.

Attached Files:

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I finally dug my midget project back out of the corner last weekend and fabricated front and rear caliper mounts. As I was staring at it I started to think about rear suspension geometry. I built mine with the single radius rod z link style instead of using a hairpin. I just like the look and geometry of it and most of the sprint and champ cars of the late 60' had this set up. Midgets of the era still stuck with the hairpin for almost another decade. I know Leffler and Higman used the z link in the 60's on their midgets. Does anybody have any insight on why the midget builders preferred the hairpin for so long? Here is a picture of the Leffler midget from earlier in this thread. [​IMG]

4. gearguy

gearguy

Don Edmunds was the preferred builder of top level midgets in the 1970s and he was a big believer in the wishbone rear/4 radius rod front. My project car, LWM-393 was one of the last cars he built before selling the business at Chassis #400 in October 1980. It was the 3rd or 4th "coil car" built and they dominated until the tires got wider and power levels increased.
    Our current race cars are both 1999 vintage. The Ellis is a 4 coil with a wishbone rear. The Buzzard is a Z link. The chassis are otherwise very similar. Once we get the Ellis completed I'll let you know if there is any difference because of the rear suspension.
    My Edmunds is the ex-Harry Weed NEMA/ARDC car.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Been absent for a while.. Sorry fella's. Been putting in the long HOURS!

THE ELLISON SPL. RUNS!

We fired it off last week for the first time, everything went well. Made some adjustments and fired it off again tonight. IT'S A BAD SUM BITCH!!

It is scheduled to PACE THE FIELD at Lawrenceburg THIS FRIDAY NIGHT at the USAC speedweek visit.

See you there!

J Shaw

6. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Josh, be sure to post pics of this weekend and the car pacing the field...
    PK

7. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

My project is moving right along also. Most every thing fits, but the engine is coming out again, for a few ajustments. I have a line on a rear end and have someone to do the upolestery. Everyone says when will I have it finished and I say about $ 3,000.00. With the body off the car is pretty much How Eldon built it(not counting the roll bar. I would love to find more parts of the car, they could be on someone's shelf out there in Indiana, I would really like to find the rear fuel tank, or photos. And the body would be great!

Attached Files:

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Steve, that car is really coming along nice. Does it have a starter and trans?

9. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Yes I have starter and trans in the car. I am using a early Ford as the car would have had as a modified before it went back East to run as a sprint car. The car still has the cradle for the battery.
    BZNEIL, I tryed to return you message, hope it got there

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

BZNEIL, if I'm not mistaken there are some good photos of that 55 on the autoracingmemories.com site.

11. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Just got a message from Don, he is looking for 6.25/ 12.50 -13 Firestone pavement tires for his Roadster. The OD of the rear tires should be 24 to 25 inches. Any help out there? PM me.

Blackie-Suede

12. Mathias65

Mathias65
    from Australia

Hi Everyone,

WoW what an amazing thread!
    Reading through 564 pages has been a great journey, but hard on the eyes. Thanks for all the great contrabutions.

I'm looking for Information on a car my farther has bought, all the details we have been able to gather are.

We have been told:
    It looks like a Charlie Alfater chassis? {no id found}.
    Was raced in Tampa Florida 50-60's at East Bay Raceway.
    Had a home made grill which nows has a CAE.

Confirmed :
    Art Bennett {modified Driver} said he bought it a long time ago from a friend who found it in a wharehouse in Florida as a complete roller. All he could remember was it ran on the dirt at East Bay Raceway

I know its not much to go on, but if any one was going to have a clue it would be on here.

Thanks in advance!
    Matt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  13. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know how Van from VanCraft is doing? Hope he is well enough to work. Is the business still open?

14. racer5c

racer5c

Saw him a week or so ago, he is trying to sell the business, he looked pretty good. He is not working as far as i can tell, just stops in every once in a while.

15. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

hello i have this car the bob lockard badger1 red #69. if any one has photos,video, or anything i can put with the car let me know, thanks tom

16. This is in our collection; any info would be appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm not a Miller expert, by any means, but most I've ever seen have parrallel front leaf springs and a much different front axle. Not saying it couldn't have been changed at some point though.

18. In out box question guys--

I have an ARC in / out box. When I shift it into drive, the front gear slides forward away from the sleeve. Is there a shear pin or a collar in front of the gear?

I finally got my own i/o box, and now I need it to work. The car is ready for Belleville otherwise.

Thank you

19. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Hi Tom,

I have several from the 1980ish era, these aren't the best, but all I can find at the moment. I'll look for more when I have time to dig deeper.
    These are of Vogler at the Speedrome in 1980.

David.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

There's nothing Miller about this car. Looks like a home-built Ford sprinter, perhaps a Dreyer chassis.

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I'll post more pics when I get them, but for now... Here is a shot of or Pit at the USAC race Friday night.

Things have changed a lil' Ha Ha! Just the rig that followed us in was a sad comparison.

Attached Files:

22. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Super pics... loved the comparison... kinda liked what we used to bring to the track and I don't think I'm alone with that sentiment.
    PK

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Great weekend at the "Milwaukee Mile"!!!!

over 50 cars and 10 hours of track time!

Between the "Miller" and the Watson roadster I was able to log in over 165 laps.

Attached Files:

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Kick ass Mac. Wish I could have made it.

You going to Darlington?

25. cg5

cg5

Found at openwheel.org
    Curt Grogan[​IMG]

26. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

hello, the photos are great!! that is the badger3 love looking at them. I am looking for the badger1. if it will help bob lockard started running it in 1975.my favoriet driver is rich volger. my dad new don volger, so them photos are a treat for me thanks! keep looking love the photos, tom. [email protected]

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks cg5! Hadn't seen any..

In that photo I'm Closing the Fuel Valve to half shut to lean er out a bit to stay clean. No need for the full load just playin' around.

28. racer5c

racer5c

Used to do that on yellows to save fuel, just make sure ya open it before ya stand on it or you could burn a piston

29. baldtireman

baldtireman

Steve: It is beautiful,indeed. What supermodified was it in the east? I saw many "super"shows as a youngster,and they were downright hair raising. Probably why I am quite bald now.....Haw Haw! John S.:confused::rolleyes: