Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neglected-Overlooked V8s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mopargnome

mopargnome

There was a local guy years ago that had a little A coupe with one of those jap V-8's. It was a sweet little ride. I wish I knew more about it.

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

'56-'57 Continental Mark II 368 (285 horse in '56 and 300 in '57) is a seldom seen engine. Same engine used in '56-'57 Lincolns and '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruisers, but the valve covers on the Mark IIs are the koolest, not to mention the exhaust manifolds!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216078&page=6

3. lets not forget the monster v8's.. like the leroy 805, the ford 1100ci dohc tank motor, umm.. more will come.. now I wonder could I stick that ford 1100 in a falcon.

4. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I have a Ford 300 in my '96 F-150. Great engine but...

They're bloody long engines. I've never measured but I'd bet they're longer than a 292 and I'm dead certain it's prohibitively longer than the 261 in my '58 Pontiac.

I think there would be a lot more engineering to cram a 240 / 300 in the hole a stovebolt came out of than there would be for a SBC. I'm not arguing for the SBC, just saying the Ford big six is a massive engine as far as light truck I6 engines go.

Shawn

5. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

One of Australia's earliest dragsters ran a Poly:

[​IMG]

and after an early rebuild:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  6. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Another forgotten V8, the Daimler:

[​IMG]

7. PackardV8

PackardV8

The 1955-56 Packard V8 is the king of coulda-shoulda-woulda. It has a 5" bore spacing, the largest of any late US OHV8. Only the 500" Cadillac can match it.

Heads-up, it will run with anything with a '56 and earlier casting date.

jack vines

8. Hightone111

Hightone111

Shows you how overlooked/neglected they are. jerks

9. I'm also fond of 307 Chevys, love the one I've got in Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup. Reliable as the sunrise and more power than I ever use.

10. PackardV8

PackardV8

Talk about coming out of the closet! :>)

jack vines

11. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Thanks for asking. I always thought they should make a blueberry and orange flavor. I think it would be good, and they could also start to make other flavors like coffee and hot chocolate, guarantee that the company that makes that flavor will make some serious money. Ooh, and they could throw in a little mint.. mmmm.

Get it? V-8 Juice?

But in all seriousness, I am only coming up with olds and exotics. I personally think that v-12's are really overlooked and rarely used in the hotrod world and they should be but that is for another thread.. Literally.

12. GlenC

GlenC

Yep, it sure was when it first came out. Not nearly enough time spent in developing the engine and sorting out the inevitable problems that arose when they combined a cast iron block with alloy heads and insufficient cooling controls. They overheated, the heads warped, end of engine...

But almost 40 years later, all those problems have been sorted, and the old Stag V8's are screaming again! A well sorted Triumph V8 engine will rev until the cows come home, they sound like nothing else, except maybe a racing engine, and they make good power with light weight too.

Cheers, Glen.

13. 73super

73super

Boat anchors? ... Don't know if I agree with this one. I've had a couple 351W of the 70's vintage that I have pulled from the ol' land yachts and used in my other rods and I've enjoyed them. Sucking valves? Haven't experienced that. Overall have been very reliable... To each his own I guess. I go with what I can get on the cheap.. and what will get me around.

14. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

351W and 351M are TOTALLY different engines...Different families of blocks. The only thing in common is displacement.

15. 73super

73super

Caddy 472 has to be one of my all time fav's! One day when I retire and I'm ready to do a complete ground up/body off restore on something.. I will definitely search out a 472. Part of my appreciation goes way back growing up around Caddies.. Dad was a Cadillac Man... Love 'em! :D

16. turdytoo

turdytoo

I can already feel the flames for mentioning the 4.6 4 cam Ford motor I'm putting into my unchopped '32 3window hiboy. With a Sullivan intake under the Cad air cleanered AFB, it looks like an old hemi. MSD ignition eliminates the need for Fords computer and I've managed to do it with Ford (non-egr) exhaust manifolds. Definitely not a 1-800 solves any installation problem engine but they are stout, light, and non small block.

17. rixrex

rixrex

If you put an aluminum intake on a 472/500 Cadillac it only weighs 28 lbs. more than a SBC...

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

most people don't know one when they see one.

19. Griznant

Griznant

Yes, but if you put an inline-6 in a Mopar and picked a Ford 300 over a Slant6 for "reliability" reasons you would need to have your head examined. Not taking anything away from the 300, but a Slant IS the definition of bulletproof.

20. One of the finest 318s I have ever seen! Perfect!

BloodyKnuckles

21. The Pontiac V/8 first made in 1955 at 287 cu. in. was more closely related to the new chevy V/8 than the Kettering designed Olds/Caddy V/8 with it's short stroke/big bore ratio and stud-mounted rocker arm setup. Pontiac made it up to the early 80s...the last 2 years had only the 301 which was a smaller version of the 55-79 engines which were made all the way to 455 cu. in.

I've grown to love these engines through the years. Basically, they're an overgrown small block chevy using a little more nickle in the cast iron. There is quite a bit of speed equiptment available for them and they run strong but they're seldom used for hot rods. A Pontiac V/8 dressed out with aluminum valve covers, aluminum multicarb intake and headers is a good lookin sumbitch IMHO. The only piece I can't find is a finned aluminum valley cover....never seen one.
    Pontiac won a ton of Nascar and drag racing titles with their V/8 engines too...I'm using a 347 punched to 370 [makes a great bore/stroke ratio] in my 34 ford 5 window..here's what it looks like mocked up in my living room.
    Bellhousing bolt pattern on the early blocks is weird alright but bellhousings can be found for them. The red primered one is for 58-60 passenger cars and will mount any chevy-style 3 speed, 4 speed and 5 speed manual transmissions. The gray one is from the 55-50 GMC pickups and trucks...has the same tranny bolt pattern and center hole size.

Attached Files:

22. Rocky,

That's some good info right there. Nice looking too!!

BloodyKnuckles

23. Jack, I didn't know that you were here as well as speedtalk (I'm there as 'wjnielsen'). Your name popped into my mind by halfway thru the first page.

Ya' know, I've never known a damn thing about those Packard V8s. The engine I've wanted to get to know is their flathead I8 series. Some of those beasts made 200 HP out of the box. I used to long to stick one in my '49 Plymouth (yes, it would have taken a hell of a notch in the firewall!)...

BTW, I'm not so sure that I'm buying any SBC as 'forgotten' or 'overlooked'; they're just variants of a very, very commonly used thing.

The Stude and Kettering Cad... yeah, they're overlooked (most places; not so much here on the H.A.M.B.).

460 Fords overlooked? 472-500 Cad? C'mon! Those get swapped into a bunch of stuff. You don't see 'em a lot here on the H.A.M.B., but there are tons out there.

My vote for an overlooked hot rod engine would have to be the 429 Cad. Very nice running engine; can boss a '64 Sedan Deville around with authority. And that's saying something.

-Bill

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  24. Abomination

Abomination

Dude - that old codger's ride makes me freakin' touch myself.

It's THAT rad.

~Jason

25. Abomination

Abomination

You know, that's something I was thinking about last night, but never brought up. Looks like you beat me to it!

~Jason

26. teddyp

teddyp

i agree the 300 six is a good motor but not that great of a motor that i would look to put in a hot rod but in a truck just has good as a gm or a mopar 6 maybe you are the one thats a little prejudgeing other makes

27. teddyp

teddyp

that,s a good looking poly

28. teddyp

teddyp

can,t say that we had a fleet of slant 6 mopars that didn,t last any longer that the chevy 6,s,and ford 6,s with reg maint. thier all bullit proof:D

29. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

there was a complete 427 at the scrap metal yard in a C60 truck a while back. a little research revealed that almost none of the parts swapped with the hot-rod version. i understand that the pistons had extra rings which added strength and longevity for a heavy work load. the "427" emblems were kinda cool so i took them.

30. nwaringa

nwaringa

Indian tears for this engine... IH 392. If only there was a way to draw more out of these dead reliable torque machines.

[​IMG]