Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 Studebaker Lark Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hightone111, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Hightone111

Hightone111

Ok, so I've had this car for awile and have worked on it in short intervals dependant upon motivation (as I assume most builds are). Been kickin' around starting a thread for awhile and I guess nows the time since I'm feelin motivated again!

By no means do I consider myself a Studebaker fan, when I came across the rolling shell I thought "what is that, that would make a bitchin gasser!" Turned out to be for sale shortly after. I sold my A coupe and started cutting stuff apart. When I started, I had no clue what drivetrain I was going to run etc etc...started lookin into Stude motors and was pretty impressed, so I was donated a stude 289 and some crude informational books to peak through. After rigorous internet searching for Stude speed equiptment and rapidly loosing motivation I came across John Erb who lives here in my home town and has a stockpile of this stuff, he's extremely knowledgable and helpful. Back on track....

Here are the early stages of the build. The hideous, heavy front end was cut off and replaced with 2x4" tubing and a speedway axle kit. Decided to run Radir spindle mount wheels and I'm crossing my fingers that it won't be too scary to drive on the street.

Attached Files:

2. kookee

kookee

Looks great so far!! What mill to fire that beast? R2/3?

3. Hightone111

Hightone111

Not 100% yet. Got a Mcculloch supercharger on the way, will need rebulit and hopefully put out 7-8 psi. John has a few tricks up his sleeve that he sounds like he wants to use as far as cam/crank/heads

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. kookee

kookee

Well it looks great. I would learn all I could from the gent and build that 289. I think it would be great combo, but I am also not well versed in the Studebakers. There are some folks on here that do.

Thanks for sharing and please post updates!!

5. Hightone111

Hightone111

Will do for sure! I have a little more progress but no pics yet. Should have some in the next 2-3 days. Thanks!

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Hemi Lark Fremont 1972?

Attached Files:

7. ooh hemi would rock in that stude!

8. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

9. pdq67

pdq67

Imho, AND I LOVE Studes!!

I'd go a hopped up, right at, 550"er or so Cad. 500" engine along w/ say a TH400 or whatever trip's your trigger as far as a tranny that can withstand like 650+ T or more at dump.

I say this because way back then, a Cad was installed in them ALL. It's a natural, (modern), old school engine, imho...

pdq67

10. Hightone111

Hightone111

I agree! That was my first plan...too much $$$ for mu budget though

11. Hightone111

Hightone111

I decided to run a stude motor just because nobody else does, they're misunderstood, underestimated and I can't wait to see peoples reactions!

12. pdq67

pdq67

Why do you think I posted about a hopped up 500" Cad??

Way back in say '70 or so, I sold a '57/'58 392" MoSHP interceptor car hemi that was still a runner that I bought for $25 dollars at the boneyard I was summer school working at a year later for $40??

I couldn't afford the stock, MoSHP's hopped up MOPAR 727 tranny that was there w/ it or I woulda grabbed it in a NYM!!

Onna the engines along w/ my 409 that I wished I still had.

pdq67

13. nothin wrong with my Stude motors....kinda scares em' when they find out that's what's under my hood....as the tree light goes....it's sure a walk of shame to be beat by a...going on about 59 year old designed motor....as blowers go...took until the 1990's to beat Studes 60's stock Bonnieville runs....

14. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags, the Studes win most of their runs over the 400"-to-455" BrandX muscle cars. Keep it all-Stude and embarrass the big-bucks-big inch guys.

jack vines

15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

[​IMG]
    One of my all time favorite gassers. Just for inspiration, but it looks like your not lacking in that department.

16. Hightone111

Hightone111

Heres a few more pics of what I got goin so far. Just got it back from havin a buddy put a cage in it, I'd say he did a damn good job for trade for a tattoo, even mounted the seats for me:). Couple pics of the alien-like engine and the Halibrands I scored for the rear.

One of the first obsticles I encountered so far is the camber on the front axle. After a little research I found out that the speedway axle is designed with different specs than an original axle in order to work with their redesigned spindles for their disc brake kits. So when it says for 49'-54' Chevy, what they mean is 2010 speeday spindles. The problem with this is that appearantly the spindle mount wheels won't fit the speedway spindles (I have yet to check for myself)...so as far as I know I have to bend/cut the axle to correct the camber.

Another speedway complaint. The "deluxe kingpins" with roller bearings are CRAP!

Attached Files:

scott27 likes this.
  17. Hightone111

Hightone111

I can't wait!

18. Hightone111

Hightone111

The cool part is when you search the internet for a lark gasser, this car and maybe 1-2 others show up...Definately somethin a little different for once

19. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

I wouldn't say 'donated'...it's more like an open ended trade!

20. Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    scott27 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Hightone111

Hightone111

Yeah, more like that

22. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Rock that Studebaker like you mean it!~

23. Hightone111

Hightone111

Oh I will, can't wait to piss of the community

justanotherguy likes this.
  24. James66g

James66g

DUDE!! Concider this thread subscribed cant wait to see whats next this thing is gonna be sick! I love the flintstones gasser it will be cool to see what you do! Keep up the progress reports

25. Hightone111

Hightone111

I'm gonna try my best! I work to damn much so I don't have alot of time...but I'll do my best to make it. Appreciate the compliments AND motivation:D

26. Hightone111

Hightone111

BTW James....garage looks AMAZING!

27. psychobilly57

psychobilly57

Here's a 62' Lark that I had. It was a 6 cyl. with a 3 speed stick. It sure had the look though. Should have made a gasser out of it. It was real solid.

Attached Files:

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The spindle deal might be easier than you think. do you have passenger car spindles or truck spindles? I do know that the king pin inclination angle is different passenger to 1/2 ton truck. It might be as simple as just swapping them out to get the right camber.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I just dug up the article. Pat Ganahl wrote it back in 1991 in ROD&CUSTOM, the February issue, on page 50, It's called Spindillating. It shows all the various permutations of the Chevy spindle from about '28 through '59 pickup truck. The truck spindles from '41- '59 have a couple more degrees of king pin inclination that the passenger car spindles. It looks from the pictures that is all you need. I think the "Speedway spindles" are a hold over from Total Performance which cast and sold them for years. I can't remember for sure, but I believe they were a cross between Chev p/u spindles and ford econoline spuds.Never quite figured out why thy did that...

30. Hightone111

Hightone111

So you're saying I need to find a set of car spindles, correct? I was wondering about that myself