Register now to get rid of these ads!

route 66 experts wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 99 to Life, Jul 5, 2010.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've been across original Route 66 several times over the years, but now that I think about it, it has been a good five years since. Some of the most fun you can have is actually trying to trace as much of the old route as possible. It takes allot of "doubling back" and patience to do, but is definitely worth it. Most of the time, if there is a service road alongside the freeway, that's it. Not always that simple, and you might go for miles and hit a dead end and have to turn around to get back, but there are things to see out there. I remember doing just that same thing about twenty years ago somewhere in the middle of New Mexico. Following the freeway, the old route veered away by about a half mile. On that small original section is where I found the ruins of an old thirties era gas station, and the cowl for my '29 roadster pick up. There was an old trailer home on the property, so knocked, and asked about the cowl..."You can have it if you can load it yourself". I have never come back from that trip without something collected for nothing for one of my projects...

2. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Me and a good friend made the trip out to CA via 66 in the mid-80's, after reading an article about it in Rolling Stone.

All we had to go on was a couple of old maps we got from an antique store. Drove up to Chicago (from FL) and spent about two and a half weeks getting lost trying to follow a road that really wasn't there anymore.

A lot of the 50's architecture and tourist traps were still standing then, and nobody was around to tell two long haired stoners to get the hell out.

We took about a million pics but I don't know whatever happened to them.

3. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

One of the best books we found for the trip is the "Route 66: EZ66 Guide for Travelers" by Jerry McClanahan. Be sure and pick up the 2nd Edition.

It's a spiral bound book that you can follow in either direction to see just about every piece of Route 66 left.

It's almost impossible to see everything in one trip so just enjoy the drive!

4. snap too

snap too
    from lost wages

My parents moved from Santa Fe to Vegas in 1947 and having relatives in NM ,we used to use 66 from Kingman to ABQ. for holidays and whatever. Many a mile on the "Mother Road" driving wreckers and transports, although MF was also a favorite synonym. It seemed like road construction was constant , cops everywhere and accidents , drunken drivers , rip off gas stations, restaurants and roach filled motels, but still we made the trip. I have driven the stretch from Kingman through Hackberry , Valentine , Peach Springs and Seligman just to show my grandkids the way it was , they were unimpressed and the standard question "Are we there yet"?

5. Dman

Dman

A friend and I are thinking of doing the whole thing maybe next year. What is the best time of year to make the trip in a car with no AC. Being from Michigan I am not used to the HOT weather down in the southern states even though it is very hot and humid here right now.

6. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

We've done the trip in April, September & early October. We've been lucky to have mostly sunny, warm days and cool nights during those times.

It's always a gamble weather-wise but we'll be there again this October.

7. rockinokie

rockinokie

Yes, the Rock Cafe is back up and going as good as ever.

8. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

Hey that will be awesome! I'll certainly drop you are line... should be there 4/5 September.

Noddy

9. jonly

jonly

I'll buy you cozy dog in springfield, il when you come through here too.

10. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

I look forward to meeting as many HAMBers as possible along Route 66 - will do a Denise/Megan type travelogue for the HAMB....

But WTF is a Cozy Dog? A beer?? ;)

Noddy

11. jonly

jonly

closer to a corn dog than a beer, really. but beer is never a bad idea.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

13. Beach Hop

Beach Hop

And he wants to share THAT with me???? A corn dog and beer is more to my liking...

I've done parts of Route 66 - Arizona - Kingman/Williams... I found it amazing... especially for us from the other side of the planet.

Noddy

14. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

Santa Monica blvd was as close as we got to doing any of 66 earlier this year.

[​IMG]

15. I drive just about every day ...

I have been on the road solid since last September hauling
    across most of the lower 48 states ....

Just today I got off I-40 about 20 miles east of Winslow at
    the town of St. Joseph & took the 2 mile I-40 business loop ;)

At the west end of town on the north side of the road was a tiny
    yellow canned ham trailer with 3 little kids selling shaved ice :)

I bought the extra large size (not on the menu) and went with
    the best flavor recommendation of 'watermelon' :D

The Route 66 experience is a state of mind ....

It is about slowing down and taking the access roads to the freeways
    in every state ....

I transport at 55 m.p.h. during daylight hours for a reason,
    I enjoy the road and the folks along the way ...

By the way - tip generously at the shaved ice stand ;)

Jim

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for verifying the old Route 66 stuff for me.
    By the way did the State of NM ever get around to pardoning Billy the Kid as was discussed several years ago.???

17. been to Pop's..don't forget the beer selection too!!!!..gotta look at the poles holding the canopy in place behind the store....i know they go down into some serious concrete!!!!!!

the red barn...pefectly round...perfect acoustics also....very tough build for when it was built..worth the stop...

tons of good eateries along the way from east to okc....my 2 weeks there last oct was great!!!!!!

18. Model A Speedster

Model A Speedster

We "did" Route 66 several years ago, from New Mexico to Chicago (backwards?). We'd do it again in a minute. Found friendly folks all along the way, like the lady at the Maple Sirup place who came out of the house and opened up the stand (we were there after five, but she treated us llike we were the most important customers that day) just for us - and pointed us to a great local campground - the citizen in Pontiac IL who got in her car and took us to the Log Cabin restaurant - I could go on and on. There's lots to see and do - but take your time to see and do it. The journey is the vacation - not the destination. Be a tourist! :cool:

19. Lucky3

Lucky3

Yes, the Rock Cafe is back open and doing well ! Crowds are big on the weekend as we cruise up there on a regular basis.

Glad you liked the experience as Rte 66 still has it's Coolness !!

20. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

[QUOT E=Mazooma1;5404902][​IMG][/QUOTE]
    That's just wrong, Mazooma. But technically correct, I'm sure.:D

21. i was in ok city for halloween last year..did 66 to tulsa and some...weather was perfect!!!!!!!!sunny and warm enough during the day and crisp in the early am and very comfortable at nite...loved it!!!!!!

22. Mountain man

Mountain man

Just don't lead us astray or off the straight and narrow Nodzster!
    jb

23. hudson48

hudson48

We did Route 66 last year.Use the reference books suggested,stay on the old road as much as possible.Sure some of the old towns are the worse for wear but still fun.Old motels,food places,bars etc and especially the people who love to see the tourists coming through.

24. Retrorod

Retrorod

We found some real deals in real estate...possible hot rod shop locations.

DSCN1892.jpg

DSC06647a.jpg

25. [​IMG]

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ahhh the corn dog, natures most perfect food...

27. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Graduated from HS in 1962. Lived in St. Louis at that time just a short piece from 66. Buddy didnt have any plans till the college start in the fall and I was in the exact same boat. Had a few hundred dollars each and just decided to drive the Route west. Ended up having to supplement the stash with some odd jobs here and there and unbelievably, we found work along the way. Drove to Nevada and back and it was the most fun I had till adulthood (after Nam of course). I really dont think I want to do it again but I have thought about it. I would really just like to remember it as I lived it in the summer of 62. Doing the Route in a jet black 55 chevy that I swear was the precurser to Falfa's car in AG that my friend built in his spare time working at the corner gas station during all of high school. I just think it would be disappointing and depressing to see it as it is now. I gotta believe that was the golden age!

28. yruhot

yruhot

Hi there, well i'm no expert but I have a 56 chevy two door post and the wife and I go to Flagstaff Az. every September for their Rt.66 days cars show. Very cool show about 400 cars and it's nice and cool after a summer in Vegas. Great club that puts it on also. We go down to Kingman,Az. and Stop off at the powerhouse museum on Andy Devine ave. I believe, cool stuff, and eat at Mr. Dees across the street. Great food and a hell of a car vibe there. Met some of the locals from the car club there and nice friendly guys also. Then we left Kingman and went out the north end of town on the old senic rt66 section and it's very senic, up through the indian country and cattle country. There are some old places like I believe it's the Hackenberry general store. Neat stuff there and it winds down through Seligman, Another rt 66 tourist trap but neat stuff there also. I had the bra on the front of the 56 and the little canned ham hooked onto the back and there was a couple of Asian tourist and German tourist busses there and they chased me around the corner at the snow cap ice cream store and wanted to know if it was ok to take more pictures of our cars.lol. They really dug them. And any of the above mentioned stops are cool. There is a great Steakhouse in Williams Az. I can't remember the name of it but it has a full size Heffer on the front sidewalk out in front. Great food. Also there is a place across the way Pine top or Pine country cafe. Pies and great food also. I keep getting back to the food places.lol. Anyway take you time if you can, and enjoy the ride, great people all along the way I've experianced[​IMG][​IMG].Doug

29. I drove thru Oatman, AZ today on Route 66 with this
    handsome 1946 Spartan :D

Jim

Attached Files:

30. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

The Steak House is "Rod's Steak House". Great food!

[​IMG]