Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 4T6 Stylemaster Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by [email protected], Jul 5, 2010.

1. Back in March, I went to look at a '54 Corvette project (BIG project) that I decided to pass on. There were several cars of interest including a '60 El Camino with 23K miles and some patina... and this 46 Stylemaster Coupe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made an offer on the Elky because I'd rather have a truck-like-car.. but we couldnt agree to terms so I made an offer on the 46 which was countered and accepted....

Big problem here is that roughly 20 vehicles are stored in an old munitions bunker (coverted to self-storage), 2 cars wide and 10 cars deep with room for a few more up front. Outside the bunker was a loading dock big enough to shuffle 4 or 5 cars.

The car was about halfway in the bunker, on the easy side...

Here's the "cave"... the cars start behind that outcropping of a wall:

[​IMG]

Most of the cars here had not run in at least 4 years... and only 1 actually ran. (A 67-427/435 4speed vette)

I put a call out to my local car club buddies and rounded up 10 of them and a couple sets of GO-jacks... and the battle ensued...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway...after getting her home, I spent the next few days scrubbing the mildew and rust stains off the car and she now looks like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

car has been parked since '92... sometimes well cared for, other times not...

Carb was full of crusty stuff.. so thats torn apart and soaking now... waiting for the rebuild kit...

I dropped the fuel tank last night and found a "couple" of holes....

[​IMG]

and now the fun begins!

2. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

thats what friends are for. hope you bought them beer for helping you out .

3. Oh... and before anyone asks... none of the other cars are for sale yet.. except the 54 vette....

4. Lucky444

Lucky444

That gas tank looks well ventilated!

Congrats on a very cool score. Look forward to seeing it on the road.

5. I had planned to that afternoon but they all had things to do... so we're headed out to party tonight!

6. WOW! It cleaned up pretty good. That's a great start...

7. I sent the seller pictures... his reply was WOW!...

It still dont run.. but the motor does turn over!

8. tinlid

tinlid

How does one end up with an ammuniation bunker full of cars? Incredible.

9. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Looks great, what if any plans for it stock, kustom, rod . Roger

10. This area is now a self-storage facility and used to be military munitions storage. He rents the entire cave for his toys... cheeaper than a warehouse...

The owner of all these cars had roughly 35 at one point and sold a few over the years... best I can count right now is 22 remain... a couple are parts cars.

11. For now? just get the darn thing living and driving again... I've got my eyes on a 235 Blue-Flame Six... want to go with a full oiler versus a babbit pounder.

12. 009, thanks....

Last night, one of the car club guys gave me both a shop manual and a parts manual... so I'm set there....

www.chevsofthe40s.com has been a great resource. ordered a bunch of small stuff + the brake and carb overhaul kit from them...

Still need a fuel tank/sending unit... but that can wait till after the car runs....

13. Just an FYI, the sending unit/tank float from chevs of the 40s is the only part ive orderd from them that i thought was junk.... Cheeep plastic crap.

14. belair

belair

Nice car. I really like the 46 front end. Hope you have fun with it.

15. NICE SCORE. My favorites are those fat fendered gals.

16. Thanks for the review... but dont they have several differnt sending units?... (the cheapest being the one with the plastic float?)

I saw price range from $25-$40... and now I saw steel replacement tanks on fleabay for $150 + frt.

CHeaper than chevsofthe40s... but gonna check the shipping.

I'm looking more at the tank with the 3/8" pickup tube (in case I need more fuel for a different motor)

17. Also check out Thefillingstation.com and vcca.org

18. Thanks God for Friends ! Nice Car, '46 had the nicest grille.

19. Thanks for the tips! :D

20. historynw

historynw

Nice score and parts are available. I'm sorta partial to 42-48's.

21. Prior to this the oldest thing I owned was a 51 F-1 pickup... adopted it from my next door neighbor who's son wanted to play with VW's and not an old FORD...

That thing must have been in the carport for 25 years before he gave it to me... aired up the tires, and set it on the ground... the tires held air long enough for me to get it into my carport!

22. 29SX276

29SX276

You picked up a very nice ride;I think the '46 had the nicest grill of the lot.Looks like the 'ol girl is in fine condition.Of course I'm somewhat biased as I have a '46 Chev Aero-Sedan(well the wife does actually).

Nice pics too.

23. That scrubbed up real nice.
    Love that shape Chevy and yes, that grille rocks..

24. JAWS

JAWS

I run a small block in mine with the stock supply lines. I just got rid of my spare tank, bummer. I would have sent it to you.

25. Thanks for the offer anyway... its good to know not everyone is out to make a profit from hotrodding...

With all my cars I've always had to buy/sell/barter other parts to do a build... hopefully this time I can do the same.

I just missed a similar 48 Coupe at an auction that SBC power... wish I had bid on it too. (like I have space for it)

I wish I had the kind of real estate some of you have... but dirt is expensive here.:rolleyes:

26. Well... today I tried to transfer the title into my name and surrender the plates.

I did need to verify the Serial Number, and the inspector was trying to make it convenient for me... but given the fact I had the day off, It was easier for me to trailer the car the 25 miles to the inspection station and have the inspection done first-hand than to arrange another viewing on my odd work schedule.

All went well except for Friday afternoon traffic... love the looky-loos as I haul this thing around... and had 2 inquiries along the way: "Wanna sell that?"..

27. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

HA HA.
    Those are the best photos i've ever seen of someone picking up their new ride.
    Congrats. Now drop the back end and cruise.

28. I have to agree, the story and pics of the former resting area is the neatest! Good job to the fine folks that take the photos during the aquisistion time.

29. chevyshack

chevyshack

That bunker is sweet! Some of those cars probally witnessed the pearl harbor event. You should try www.TruckandcarShop.com for your gas tank. I got mine there for my 52 chevy. They are very affordable and good quality stuff. There out of california.