Register now to get rid of these ads!

German Flatheads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonny69, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Hey folks, been a while since I last posted on here. I've since acquired a roadster with a German flathead in it and I'm trying to learn a bit about the motor. The search function (mainly my lack of skillZ) makes it a bit difficult to weed out what I'm looking for though :(

Who knows anything about German flatties? When were they made, size, power, which distributor, what fits etc?

Here's a picture of the car out in the snow to remind you that is does sometimes get cold :D

[​IMG]

They're tough, I can tell you that. It was frozen solid in the picture and I just thawed it out slowly with the pulleys off and it has been fine.

2. ventilo

ventilo

There were several variations of the German flathead V8s:
    The Ford plant in Cologne started production of the 3.6 litre 21 bolt V8 in August 1935. The local content of components was increased gradually, using German supplied parts and accessories. Changes introduced in the US were usually adopted somewhat later in Germany (like Babbitt mains still used in '37).

The small displacement V8-60 was not produced in Germany to my knowledge, although this engine was offered to German customers starting 1939. I assume these engines were imported from other Ford plants in the US, France (or even England before WW II?).

Around 1940/41 the 24-bolt 3.9 liter design was adopted in Cologne. All future developments of the German flathead were designed by the Cologne staff, now virtually disconnected from the development team in the US.

The engine was now solely used for trucks. Cooling (always an issue on the Ford flathead V8) was improved with the introduction of better water pumps, higher radiators, etc. The distributor was relocated after WW II to the rear of the engine block – becoming a major distinction to the non-German V8s.
    Production of the V8 in Cologne continued until in 1961 the truck production was stopped in the Cologne plant. Probably replacement engines were continued for a short period of time.

Generally parts for US flatheads like intakes and heads will fit, although the German design varies in detail - you have to check the MY carefully.
    If you need further details feel free to contact me, we've got all information on file in our club's archive.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. Well, not flathead, but definitely German, my 47 rear end has German axles (!) according to the labels on them. :confused:

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

5. ventilo

ventilo

picture of the first V8 built in Köln-Niehl on August 16, 1935

Attached Files:

6. dw123

dw123

Johnny, was that you spotted hammering through Shortlands on the weekend in it...??

7. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Awesome, thanks for the info folks :cool:

Probably, I went shopping in Bromley on Saturday :D