Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please help me figure out what to pay for this 47 Ford Woody

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38zephyr, Jul 7, 2010.

1. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Sorry if this offends some people , but I have a chance to buy this 47 wagon and I'm not sure what it's worth . Front sheetmetal is good , drivetrain is stock and complete , little rust in rear floor otherwise pretty good and solid . I understand it's worth what someone will pay for it , what should I pay for it or what would you pay for it ? Is it in the $2000 to $5000 range ???

Attached Files:

• wood.jpg
      wood.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Not sure of the value.....but I hope you enjoy woodworking.

If redone correctly and well, I think these sell in the 50 to 100K range.

3. Toner283

Toner283

More than one picture would help a bunch too. is what is left of the wood complete enough to make patterns off of? How about the woody specific parts like door latches/hinges/hardware?

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

if you can get it for that, thats a pretty good deal. damn wood will kill ya to do but it IS a woody. ive seen the rear fenders go for a couple grand by themselves.......

5. I think your in the ballpark. I don't know woodys too well, I did sell a buddy of mine's 48 a couple years back. It was beautiful with a 327/auto and it brought 70K. I do now the wood is spendy if you buy a kit.

6. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Thanks for the help guys , just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off since I don't know these that well either . I'll see if I can grab it tomorrow .

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

8. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Asking price by the seller is one thing, Purchase price is another.

Do what you want, but I paid $800 for one in the same shape.

Dont throw your money away just because of what you read in this forum!

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wanna double your money? then you could go out and get another one and have $800.00 in your pocket.

I figure $10,000 would be a minimum asking price. I'd ask $20,000.00

10. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

11. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

I guess its all in your perspective and what you are used to.
    Probably the same reason you guys give $500k for the same house that can be bought in the Midwest for a third the price.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

apples and oranges. real estate can't be put on a trailer and hauled to where the money is.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, big opportunity as long as you have lots of talent, $$ and friends to help out. if you have done a build from very rough to very nice before you can do this-good luck.

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

15. Woodies are like 32s, only harder to find! If you are in the 2-5K range it is a good buy.

16. Wood for the 46-48, fit and finished, can run upwards of 30,000.....be prepared to spend some cash if you keep it....

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Several years ago now I sold this one for 3500 and the guy had it shipped coast to coast. I don't know if the current slow down will have any affect on Woodies. I suspect that it won't. These are just too desirable and too rare to drop in value. This one had all the hardware that is Woodie specific. That makes a big difference.

[​IMG]

I should have finished this one. I know I will never have another one. They have raced past my pay scale. It's hard to believe how fast they grew in value.

18. I have a friend that bought a 40 deluxe woody and pay a a lot more for a lot less than is posted,,,woodys bring big money,,,even when they are kinlin basket case's. :D HRP

19. I had a shot to buy one of those a couple years ago for $800 and after all the hassle I had trying to sell a '50 woodie (it took forever to sell and I had to take less than what others were going for in the same exact shape) I said screw it. I think I could have had this other '48 for $300 at one point and I never even went and looked at it. Supposedly about that same shape, wood all shot, cowl OK, hardware all there, frame good. I really didn't think I could sell it for enough to make the hassle of going 75 miles one way to borrow a trailer, 50 miles the other way to get it, load up a dead car with no wheels even on it, tie down every frigging loose piece of wood and crap on it, and haul 125 miles back to drop it off, worth it. Maybe I was wrong, who knows, but I know I was getting a deal on it because the guy who had it couldn't sell it either, he's used eBay and all that. Now if he can't sell it, I can't see me having any easier time with it. I don't even know what happened to it, maybe he scrapped it finally. I kind of hope he did, can chalk that one up to all the cheap bastards and vultures I have to deal with on a regular basis as far as I'm concerned.

As for that one, offer low, if you can afford it, buy it. I'm sure it could be parted out to all the vultures out there and at least break you even. They don't grow on trees and you might grow old and die waiting for the $800 one after passing up the $2500 one.

Had this one been a '40 I would have gone the same day, '40s are like '32s, they're going to command more money right off the top and have more people who want them bad.

20. Matlack

Matlack

Does anyone know who makes a wood kit for these? I can't find anything for 48 and older woodies, just the 49 and up. I am looking at a rough 1942 Ford myself. Thanks for your help

21. This guy does great work
    Messano Woodworks
    Restorations and wood sets, replacement wood parts also available
    Chris Messano
    211 South Mesa Street
    San Pedro, CA 90731
    310-547-0298

22. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

what are they asking ? i would say it is worth about $1000

23. Just grab a time machine and go shopping for a woody here.

[​IMG]

24. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Damn Holmes , Where did you find the black and white picture of Nick Alexander's ???

P.S. I didn't get it yet , show some interest in something and out comes the shenanigans and tomfoolery !

25. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

At todays prices, there's about 7 or 8 million bucks in that parking lot.

26. with TMAN...good woodie projects are few...this looks like a good start at the price...

27. sawzall

sawzall

I did some work on this one..

[​IMG]

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279029&highlight=last+chance+woodie
    and had bought some parts from skidmarks to help put it back together..

I think that the owner sold the car for about 40K reassembled.. which I felt was fair

in your instance..

none of the wood on the car in question will be usable.. NONE.. so your buying a chassis , brackets, rear fenders, and a floor pan.. although people think that the rear fenders are gold they are actually pretty plentiful.. the door latches are the same story.. but somewhat tougher to find.. (if they are missing)

there are several woodie builders in ca..
    consider joining the National Woodie Club..
    http://www.nationalwoodieclub.com/home.htm

good luck.. I hope you get it.

28. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i got this one taking up space in my shed at the moment. eventually it will be let go as a roller. metal is pretty solid, have some work cut out on one of the rear fenders though....

Attached Files: