Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The history of Dallas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

here you go name them. its at d.i.m.s.

Attached Files:

2. Chas,,Pic on left..Carl Stone,of the" Rollin Stone "roadster
    Pic on rt..not clear enough focus

3. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Had a chance to ask my mom. Yea she knows him. Said that there was a father, then latter a son that ran that place? Maby Little Dan??

About 15 years ago I borrowed a tool to unlock the doors on an s-10 Blazer from these guys. I thought it was them, but my mom confirmed it as I needed a way to repo a Blazer from a Dallas cop that skipped out on us. I got the Blazer, parked right in front of the station were he worked!

How you know them?

4. Frank

Frank

Yep, I knew Dan since i was a kid. Bought a couple of cars from him. His brother was my pastor growing up. Dan passed away a couple of years ago but I think his son(s) still run the place.

5. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Kinda cool..small world. Yea, my mom thought it was a son that took over.

6. Elrusto

Elrusto

7. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

Any one remember Dodds barber shop, well his two sons now cut my hair in Forney off fm 740 next to the Brookshires!

8. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

9. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

Dallas history test: Who's Indy car sat out in front of Trowell&Turner's old shop on Denton Dr.? What hot rod shop was about two blocks away from Clyde Barrows dad's gas ststion? From the stands at the Fairpark Speedway what could you watch between heats? Name some locals that had Reeder Rd. addresses.

10. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

Old enough to have bought a set of Dougs headers from Custom Automotive when they were down on Pearl. The guy didn't want to sell them to me because he said they weren't made for street cars. Iv'e never seen headers that wouldn't work with a little ball-peen help.

11. tombeaux

tombeaux
    from Plano, TX

I'll try these -- was it Jim Rathman's 500 winner at Trowell and Turner? I'm guessng Harry's Hot Rod shop near the Barrow service station. And from the stands at Fair Park Speedway ... rodeo, or football at the Cotton Bowl??

12. tombeaux

tombeaux
    from Plano, TX

On second thought... maybe it was Hot Rod Exchange near the Barrow place.

13. Larry T

Larry T

WAG on the Indy car would be Johnny Rutherford.
    Larry T

14. down from the Barrows place - State Auto?...ex racer Sam's still running that place...hell...I got to go buy next week and tell him I was wrong about a part...

15. k.c.

k.c.

Born in La Reunion projects on FT. Worth Ave. in 1946. Dad was a mechanic on Industrial Blvd., mom sold tickets at Burnett Field (home of the Dallas Eagles)and Fair Park. Moved to Northwest Hwy./Garland Rd. area 1953. Remember the airport that was there? Dad often times took me to Devils Bowl when it was still on John West Rd. The big treat for a 10 year old boy was getting to go down to the pits after the races and talk to the drivers. Remember when White Rock Lake had 4 or 5 big 6 or 8 passenger Chris Craft runabouts to take tours of the lake for I think .50 a person? Remember The Lady of the Lake? Remember taking your best girl parking there? The original Pig Stand in Dallas was the first curb service restaurant in the country in the 20's. We frequented the one on Garland Rd. at Gaston. But I always liked Keller's on Northwest at Abrams. How bout the Casa Linda Mobil full service station. I had a friend who worked there nights. They had all the best tools and tune-up equipment and our cars were always running right. I raced my '63 Chevy at Green Valley and met The Cokers, The U.S. Kids, Bill Helsher, Bobby Langley and many others including Big Daddy Don Garlits. I still see Don Coker on occasion. Great guy. Bought my first Sun greenline tach and Hurst shifter at Hot Rod Exchange on Beckley. Ahhh, great memories.

16. Too old..you sure you bought"Dougs" headers???I could have been the guy that sold you some headers back then.
    But we didnt sell "Dougs"headers at Custom Automotive.
    Notice my avatar,,,

17. Tejas

Tejas
    from Texas

wow, Reeder Road (Nirto Alley) I remember Dennis Piranio/Performance Engines (now doing Model A parts in Denton I think), Mike Burkhart, Harry Schmidt/Raymond Beadle - Blue Max, the Richard Tharp driven top fueler of Mike Kilpatrick and Mark Connell, THT Pro Stocker, I know there's more but those are what come to mind first for me ..

18. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

You are absolutly right. After 44 years I got it a little backasswards. I bought the headers at Auggie Place's (Placo) shop on Denton Rd. He told me to get adapters to hook up to a street set up down at Custom. I was quickly sent on my way with my new headers my 66 chevelle and my 16 year old want to slightly damaged. Found a creative welder/plumber at the muffler shop on Northwest Hwy that built a system that JC Whitney couldn't duplicate. Only problem on long trips (30 minutes) the carpet in the back seat would smoke and smell. Solution-pocket knife and a can of black VHT paint. That's what VHT made before dragstrip glue. I did buy a set of Crager S/S wheels from you though. I think....Maybe I got 'em from Roger Connelly. Who knows?

19. saw Sam/State Auto Monday....where's my donut prize?...Don Coker - his son and I pulled an early flathead out at their place today...

20. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

boy i would love to know ya'lls real name. mine Charles Faulkner born and raised in dallas, but not proud of our city leaders.

Attached Files:

21. I'd almost forgot about Augie Place...and Plaeco..Mike Wallace,went to work for him when he (Mike) left Custom...Rogers speed shop was out on Harry Hines..
    I understand Roger is out of the "Hot Rod"business and living in Houston.

22. Hey Chas,whats wrong with your fine city leaders???
    I guess Mitch Rosansky couldnt get them straighten out either.. LOL He gave up being a city councilman.

23. Tinker51

Tinker51
    from Dallas Tx.

hey mitch was a true dallas site, the others are transplants.

24. otas

otas

I was born in 59 and grew up in lewisville. dad had a gas station and seems we knew everybody. the pic of dallas int. motor speedway with the red white and blue amx in it was bought new by my brother in law. he bought it while he was in the service. he came back to lewisville and sold it to a guy named chuck taylor. chuck was very successful with the old amx. he had a shop on mill street in lewisville. "chucks garage". the building is still there. it's a detail shop now. the car is still around in the flower mound area.

25. ESCOTT427

ESCOTT427

Great to see a Dallas thread..needs more pictures though.Here's my addition...I worked in some of the Old Places..Competition Sales on Lovers,Hot Rod Exchange at both locations,Race Source,Harry's and Bought lots of parts from Custom (good to see you're still around Charlie!) and worked for the other wholsalers Sigman Pittman and Reliable.Sold parts to lots of local Streeters and Racers. DIMS and Green Valley were the place to race.

Attached Files:

26. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

I used to visit Hot Rod Exchange, and they had an altered wheelbase El Camino that was at Green Valley quite a bit. Anyone have a pic of the Camino? I can still visualize it sitting out under the trees.

27. I see you didnt post your name here,but maybe I should know you if you worked at Comp Sales for Sheffy,,And the Charlie above is not the same Charlie that owned Custom,,Later I also worked at Sigman-Pittman.

28. This ElCamino was Ben Bensons personal toy,,,Had an Olds Tornado engine mounted in the bed..(FWD) was a great wheelstander.

29. ESCOTT427

ESCOTT427

I worked for Sheffy at Comp Sales from 73 to 78 when Bob myers bought the store.I saw the Custom logo, thought you were Charlie Adams.I was in sales at Sig till Joey Ferrari left to go to Grant,was promoted to Purchasing.Hard to imagine a 23 year old kid in charge of 2.5 million dollar Hot Rod inventory... with an open charge account no less...what a time!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  30. Charlie is deceased....Sheffy is still as onery as ever
    I thought everyone here knew me,,,,,, "Bobby"
    and you are?
    PS.Joey is still at Grant..and married to Carolyn from S-P

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010