Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Wire Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlueOvalCertified, Jul 6, 2010.

1. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

I would like to put wire wheels on my 1939 Ford Truck with the original wide 5 pattern. Preferably 16 wheels so the tires I have would fit. Could anyone point me in the right direction, and give me some pointers on how to ID them on the fly at a swap meet?

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

A wire wheel will not fit onto a '39 "wide 5" hub, you can easily swap to a 40-48 hub/drum and use support rings to bolt on '35 wire wheels...

3. Do you have "wide 5" or 5 x 5 1/2" Bolt pattern? There is a difference.

4. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

These are original wide five's I believe will have to check. On donor frame with Hydraulic brakes I believe they have a newer pattern. I will have to check tonight. SUHRsc I think 35s are what I am looking for how do I ID Them? I assume they have a certain width and bolt pattern?

5. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

My donor chassis has 5x51/2 on it was planning on swapping over backing plates because they are hydraulic that should remedy my issue. Confirming the 35 wheels are 5x51/2?

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes 5on 5.5 ,wheel 4 inch wide between flanges.

7. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

By "backing plates", do you mean the circular disk that is used to shim the difference in height between the lug holes and the kidney-bean shaped indents?

Not to hijack, but I'm asking because I recently picked up a set of 16" wires, and am wondering what I need to do to mount them to my 40-48 juice brakes/hubs. They bolt up fine (5 on 5-1/2) but I've read about the required disk/spacer thing. That's for the front. I'm wondering how best to mount them to a late model rear axle. :confused:

8. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

No problem antny I am curious too.

9. NealinCA

NealinCA

You need a spacer ring to bolt early ford wires to 40-48 drums...but the general rule of thumb is that you would upgrade with later wheels...not the other way around. 35 wires don't belong on anything newer than 1935. Just my 2 cents.

Neal

10. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

If they are original wide fives they will look something like this:

[​IMG]

They're really pretty damn distinctive as you can see. The wheel lug holes are almost all the way out to the rims.

Frankly, if your hubs are set up to use wheels like those I don't think you'll find wire wheels to fit without changing your hubs/brake drums. (I may be wrong about that, however, and if I am I expect somebody else will be along shortly to correct me. :) )

11. Swapping your hubs and drums for '40-'48 hubs/drums will get you the right bolt pattern. '35 was the only year that Ford had a 16" wire wheel, and they were all 4" width for a 6.00x16 tire (6.50x16 optional on pickups and panels). Cars and 1/2 ton pickups/panels used the same wheels. '32 wheels are 18", and '33-'34 had 17" wheels.

12. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

^ great info! Mine came with stainless steel trim rings. Proper for '35 wires?

13. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

Antny,
    When I was referring to the backing plates. I meant the flat metal piece that the wheel cylinder mounted to.

14. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

shmoozo,
    yes my 38 has wide 5's on it, but my donor chassis must be a 40 because it has 5x51/2 on it and hydraulic brakes. I think I am going to swap these assy. over.

15. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Oh, I see.

16. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

I have visuals of wheel now. How do the wheels measure as far as diameter? And above was posted 4" width. Thanks.