Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville in 8 weeks? Will the Starliner make it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J-lopy Kid, Jun 14, 2010.

1. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Great news about the Salt!

After a few weeks of hard work (at my real job), I have gotten the upholstery back for the camper, and been replacing a few windows.

I have sand blasted my A-Arms and installed new bushings, cut the coils (only 1 turn, as the Granada spindles and 11" rotors will drop 1.5" as well).
    Cut the offending trunk rot out, finished my modified inner fenderwell for the larger battery, and completed my core support radiator mount and trans cooler mount. I will have to post some comparisons shortly.

On track-Don't know.... We will see what happens when my trans pan gasket comes and I have fixed the floor and re-installed the drive train....
    Motor Fired yet; no.
    Tried, no.

2. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

forest... Forest.... FORest!!! FORESt!!!!! FOREST!!!!!!!! I'm rooting for ya buddy! I know you can do it, no prob.

3. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

4. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

If this starliner runs 1/2 as good as the galaxy he sold to me years back, he will be fine.

BBOY

5. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

J-lopy Kid, I know if you were closer Slider and the locals would be making sure you had enough help to 'Git'er done'!
    We're all cheering for you, hang in there guy, you CAN do it!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

6. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

How are things going with the 'Liner?

If you can read this you should be working on it! Good luck.

7. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

What! No way! Lost touch with ya! I wish I had as clean of a Starliner as that old Galaxie--You should see the rot I am dealing with! That old car sealed my fate; after owning it I HAD TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE! Or 5... However that goes....

8. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Hey hows the Starliner coming?

I'm going to look at one myself this weekend, 1960 bone stock survivor, fender skirts, hub caps... 292/ford-o-matic.

Keep going with the starliner man! You'll make it!

9. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Well, been busy at work still. It is almost time to not worry about the prettiness of certain things, and just get it done. This will not be the final build of the whole car; just certain areas that are difficult and more time consuming to touch once assembled. I have decided that I will not get far enough along to paint the firewall, bottom side of the hood, dash, inside of the trunk, and many of the other areas. I am putting all body work low on the list.
    So, where does that leave me? I am almost ready to start assembling after I fix the floor of the car!
    I have cleaned, painted, and installed all new bushings in the A-arms (I know it is kinda cheasy, but I like Hammertone for this stuff), and used granada spindles (BTW-found a killer site that remakes this stuff with new castings; and has a great assembly guide; check it out if interested under the "How to" (http://www.discbrakeswap.com)).

Attached Files:

10. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

That sounds like a fun trip! nice car!

11. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

The front of the frame (to the firewall) has been entirely stripped; and I have modified the frontmost frame brace to clear the larger crossflow radiator's tanks. (This is one of the items requiring me to change my battery tray angle a little). Stock, the radiator would have been a top to bottom flow. The frame has been POR15'd, and topcoated in a ford semi gloss underhood black.

Attached Files:

12. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Now: to the firewall: All of the painted orange spots are from the original push-clips holding the fiberglass insulation to the dash side of the firewall. I am going to fill, and use adhesive with new insulation; aluminized on one side for the floor, roof, and firewall. I also need to build patch panels for the floor in a few places and trans area.

I have decided to move the trans tunnel upward 3/8" at the front to gain clearance around the motor/trans. (see orange marks).
    Got it all cut, and started to weld--welded myself right out of shielding gas!
    I suppose I have plenty of other stuff to work on....

Attached Files:

13. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

my girlfriend cleaned out the camper; keep in mind, the way these are being built to make bonneville will not reflect the finished deal in entirety.
    I replaced the rear window (was broken plexiglass), and resealed it. Tried polishing the frame; looks ok.
    We got the upholstery back. They did a great job; and measured my design out well. The bed folds into a couch for lounging time.

Attached Files:

14. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Gettin' down to the wire... Did you get anything done on the fourth? -Has it fired yet? --Shooter pulled the oldsmobile donor in and is working towards getting the hudson in shortly...

15. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Go Man Go!!!!

Lookin really good!

16. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Thanks for the encouragement Northern Dave!

After dinner, I went back out. Might as well be in assembly mode until I get more shielding gas!
    Got the A-arms and spindles, front suspension and sway bar back in.
    Found that the Granada Spindles; when machined for a drop; need a spacer for the top of the lower balljoint to expose enough threads to properly tighten.
    Also, found that the dust seal for the lower balljoint needs a spacer as well. I made this out of 5/8" heater hose to allow it to be compressed and still provide a seal.

Attached Files:

17. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

needed a spring compressor; and, the trip to town did not warrant using my time. Some all-thread and an old half of a muffler clamp to the rescue!
    Worked great. I couldn't just put a jack under the a-arm; as, without the weight of the motor it just lifted the whole front!
    Also, placed on one of the wheels I will be running to check for clearance. Unfortunately, the stock 14" wheels do not clear the Granada brakes as they were designed for drums.
    I found a few options; as I would like to keep 14"s for now; will temporarily run stock hubcaps but would like to run lancers eventually. Toyota wheels would work, and are close to the right offset. I found 7 matching AMC hornet wheels (I just felt with the options available, I would rather have the AMC's); all designed for disc brakes, 5x4 1/2, 1/2" wider than stock. They should work real well with the 205/75/14" wide whites I purchased.
    The reason for 7: 4 and a spare for the car, and 2 for the camper; all the same, being able to be rotated as needed.

Attached Files:

18. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Well, how'd it go? She come home with ya?

19. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

Yesterday would have been the day timing wise but all the banks were closed so with the seller wanting cash, it didn't work out for yesterday.

Banks are open now of course but he's busy at work during the week as am I... Weekends are booked, so it will be a midnight run this week.

I'll be following your build here, I'm sure I'll have questions for you and it looks like you might have parts cars too? :)

That front end is looking good, how much total drop?

edit:

I read back, you must be getting around 2.5" drop total huh?

20. Andy_H

Andy_H

Can't say there has been too much progress on the truck this last week. Just got the new driveline installed and brake pedal extended. Wiring is coming along just a few more things and it will be ready to fire for the first time. Now work has me out of town for a few weeks so progress will be sloowww.

21. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

J-Lopy Kid
    I want to fly into Boise and stay with Tony & Sandra and make it to Bonnieville with Tony. I toasted my wagon going to the Road Rocket's Indy show so driving is out of the question!
    Looking forward to seeing you guys again and hanging out.

22. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

I think I should end up getting closer to 3 out of the drop. My car was a292 car as well; and, it seems to me I only cut 2 coils out of my old galaxie and got 4 inches... I started conservative at 3/4 of a coil...

I will have many extras; I still need to part another one out this fall......

23. fbcoach68

fbcoach68
    from SOCAL

You are making a lot more progress on your Starliner than I am. I am about ready to start putting my front suspension back together.

24. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Forest, I was wondering how the thrash was coming, Let me know if you want some help, I've got a few event coming up before leaving for the salt, but if it works out I'd come and give a hand

25. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Good morning Forrest! How's the Starliner coming? Haven't heard from you for a while ... You didn't give up did you?!

Wishing you great progress!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith
    and the rest of the Canyon County Crowd!

26. d267

d267
    from Staunton

27. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Wow.
    What can I say. Even the plans layed with best intent and thought can fall apart.

My family vacation ended up taking most of the last week (it was good; not a negative thing; just taking time that I don't regret losing on the Starliner).

Work has really picked up (again, can't complain-I know people that would kill for the chance of overtime).

My camper has wiring issues that I can not even describe; never before have I seen a coat hanger spliced inline and wraped with electrical tape; especially used on the trailer brakes....

Bottom line; the Starliner will need to get put on hold; and my efforts will go towards the camp trailer.

I will be re-naming the thread; and continuing the build of both.

Just a few weeks to bonneville; look for the crusty Jewel camper; and see you down there!

The good news; a few of the other club members have gotten far enough along with their bonneville builds that it should still be a great trip!

28. fbcoach68

fbcoach68
    from SOCAL